Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed rear view camera using modified DSC OFF switch to control camera operation.

Usually for rear view camera, simply connect to reverse signal to activate rear camera with some delay and hold circuit. But I thought there are not much need for me to have rear view camera ON everytime in R position.

So I decided to make switch to control rear view camera ON/OFF only time I need when ACC is on.

As title says, I used OEM parts : DSC OFF switch for my rear view camera operation.
As you know, this switch is called momently switch(only while you pushing, switch send puls)> So I had to conbine this switch with RS-Flip Flop circuit to make it alternate hold switch.

Here is the back of DSC OFF switch. Simply TNS +,- and switch signal IN and OUT.

It will make installation and afterservice easier if you make coupler. I made simple coupler using comon computer connector M/F.

White coupler is the for switch I made.

With this system, you can ON/OFF camera anytime you want when ACC is on by momently switch such as DSC OFF switch. one tap, camera ON, another tap camera OFF. each tap switch camera ON OFF ON OFF...
Also this flip flop circuite evapolate when ACC is off, which means even when you leave camera ON when you turn engine OFF, next time you start engine, camera reset to OFF.
So it prevent forget to turn camera off.

I installed rear view camera with DV-M3 flip up monitor using CCD IN. So when I activate rear view camera, monitor pop up automatically.
While you have navigation on, CCD also cut in when it's activated.

Now here is how to make DSC OFF switch into rear cam switch

First, sand off black surfice finsh to expose white main material.
Then put cutting letter whatever you want on.

Spray flat black over cutting letter

Take cutting letter off, as you wish , touch up letters little

Then spray flat clear( matt) to protect lettering surfice.

By connecting swithc to TNS +,- it illuminate just like as other switches.

Connection view for system is like this.

Main+V input determine when to activate system. My case, I wanted system to work when ignition key is ACC ON or IGN ON.
When IGN OFF, system shut off so no "oops, I forgot to turn switch OFF"

For camera instalation, this was little nervous moment to hole saw bumper..use license plate light cable holder to organize camera wire.

through this licence plate light harness gromet, run camera wire along other harnesses to bring it to bottom of center console.

smaller connector is for camera +,-
and bigger connector for ACC x 3 and TNS +,- for switch, flip flop relay.

Camera view is nice for RCA connection to CCD IN with decent amount of colors.

Camera sit here on rear bumper near license plate holder.

Sorry I don't have picture for camera view,,,my old picture host lost and can't find it..
I will take some if anyone interested in.

I have how this switch operate in video clip on following post. Please check video link for operation setting.

Also for GPS( Garmin GVN53) I costumed harness to use RGB signal for clear resolution.
How to is on last page of
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=99280.150

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=jplus link=topic=138619.msg3005421#msg3005421 date=1237510567]
good work, the thought that went into trying to keep it "factory" is amazing
[/quote]

Thank you.

It all start from that I didn't like rear camera coming on everytime in R position if I tap power from reverse signal.
I only wanted camera to be on when I needed.

It was bit expense to get flip-flop relay from Japan, but it very much worth it:)

About Flip flop relay...in short story,,

This relay has two output one is R ( reset) and the other is S ( Set)
Normally relay stays to R ( NC or NO you can choose) and each time relay gets PULS signal,relay switch between R <--->S poles ( latching)

Once main power is off to flip flop circuit, relay reset back to R pole regardless the last position.

For detailed info, lots of explanation online..

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
That's a very clean install. Love the use of the flip flop, that's the most user-friendly setup possible for something like that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
^ +1

Nicely done.

You might have to do a bit of searching, but you can probably find the flip-flop for really cheap. I don't know why you'd have to get one from Japan. Surely a place like Digikey would have it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
OK, maybe I was wrong. I did a quick search and don't see anything appropriate at DigiKey. I'm not sure how much you paid for yours, but this one looks like it would do the trick for $19. If you spent a little more time searching, you could probably find one even cheaper.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=speeedbump link=topic=138619.msg3006331#msg3006331 date=1237561487]
^ +1

Nicely done.

You might have to do a bit of searching, but you can probably find the flip-flop for really cheap. I don't know why you'd have to get one from Japan. Surely a place like Digikey would have it.
[/quote]

[quote author=speeedbump link=topic=138619.msg3006362#msg3006362 date=1237562022]
OK, maybe I was wrong. I did a quick search and don't see anything appropriate at DigiKey. I'm not sure how much you paid for yours, but this one looks like it would do the trick for $19. If you spent a little more time searching, you could probably find one even cheaper.
[/quote]

That's good to know! Thank you for good info.

The reason I got this from Japan is,,,simply I am Japanese and speak Japanese better to comminicate online purchase...lol Also I had some other stuffs that my parents wanted to send me from Japan. so I could use this opportunity to save shipping cost from there( ^_^)

I paid $15 + ( within JPN shipping $5) for this product ( it's designed for 12V DC auto use).
I am not sure how much I had to pay for shipping to US..

relay spec

DC12V 1A inline fuse
relay A consumption R-0mA
S-20mA
Max capacity 120W 10A
Wire size 1.25sq( Relay IN/S/R)
0.50sq(Main/GND/signal)

Acutually my biggest expense was....DSC OFF switch from Mazda lol
It cost me like,,over $50 shipped!! I need to research more before I buy ..( >_<)

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Wow, that is fantastic. :goodjob:

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is great... I'm doing similar... do you have a pic of the exact wires that you tapped to power the camera, and the sensor for the rear? I'm trying to use the pin in the ceiling of the hatch, but I'm having trouble finding which one it is.
Thanks and good stuff!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=Martinisaacanywhere link=topic=138619.msg3081303#msg3081303 date=1240583234]
This is great... I'm doing similar... do you have a pic of the exact wires that you tapped to power the camera, and the sensor for the rear? I'm trying to use the pin in the ceiling of the hatch, but I'm having trouble finding which one it is.
Thanks and good stuff!
[/quote]

( >_<) I am so sorry for late response, I missed your replay here..

Well if this isn't too late...

I tapped ACC from back of cigar socket. I cut +wire and made 3 way split to send 1.camera switch 2. RS FF relay in 3. Relay main

I am not using sensor to trigger my back camera. I just made switch control anytime when ACC is on. I initially trigger camera by back (reverse signal) but didn't like everytime passing R position, camera activate slipt seconds..
then I put IC delay relay and hold circuit in line, set to 0.5 seconds to activate after shift in R position, hold 5 seconds after shift position changed.
But I also didn't like this either since I don't have control for 5 seconds when I switch back to navi screen..

so i ended up with this system. If you still working on this and have questions, please feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for commment. Simple and basic but very useful IC circuit FF relay is.

icspots now build this set up system for his CCFL.( but his one is one more stepped in! His switch illuminate when device is in use) Depend on what you pick for relay triggering condition, you can have lots of option for setups.

I am glad to see more people gets idea and enjoy their project.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
haha I'd be happy with just having the factory looking gps. how exactly do you go about hooking up the garmin to that factory looking lcd you have?

av noob here.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you want to go basic RCA connection, it is as easy as plug RCA video cable from Garmin GVN53 into back of flip-up monitor's one of RCA input( there is 3 RCA in so you can have other video device that has RCA out)

For basic install of Garmin GVN53, you only need to tap BATT(battery) ACC( accesarry) and GND(ground) from back of streo. Place GPS anntena space under flip-up monitor.

I did mine with RGB connection for much clear, crisp display quality but involve little extra work.
For RBG connection, please check page 6 of
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=99280.150

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a simmilar idea for switching on/off my interior neons. do you think it would be possible to power 4 standard 12v adapeters from the neons?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As long as total load is within relay capacity, number of device you connect isn't issue.

It's depend on spec of flip flop relay/circuit you use.
Check how much total power drawing from 4 devices you want to use, then determine relay capacity.

For example, my flip-flop relay can handle upto 10A total load.
Fair amount of capacity for light electrical project and more than enough for camera power supply.

If you are expecting larger load, bypass external relay lines. Have flip flop circuit to send trigger singal to external relay ( choose appropriate contact capacity relay according to your project size).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts