Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what you guys think about the durability and reliability of the mazda3 or mazda's in general. I know in my family we have had bad experiences with mazda. we had to replace the transmission twice and some other friends with mazdas have also had troubles with mazda. i think the m3 is a great car and drives well, but in the long run and practically speaking, my parents have been suggesting a honda, toyota or nissan. I hear, though, that the quality of mazdas are getting better. Just wondering what other people thought when considering this and if the m3 will last a long time without any major problems.

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's good. Check consumer reports for long term reliablity reports on Mazdas. I would be the cars that had tranny's replaced were the auto's in 626's which were one of the few trannies Mazda had problems with.

Mazda's overall reliablity has never been bad so for it to get better (which it is) is saying something.

Edit--

Yeah as I've said before I had not a single issue ever with my 02 Protege5, neither have my 2 friends who bought their Proteges just after me.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yep - must have been 626s or MX-6s with the Auto tranny.

The PRO has been great and the 3 should follow that tradition of reliable, stylish and fun to drive cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cowtown said:
It's good. Check consumer reports for long term reliablity reports on Mazdas. I would be the cars that had tranny's replaced were the auto's in 626's which were one of the few trannies Mazda had problems with.

Mazda's overall reliablity has never been bad so for it to get better (which it is) is saying something.

Edit--

Yeah as I've said before I had not a single issue ever with my 02 Protege5, neither have my 2 friends who bought their Proteges just after me.
its cool that your 02 protege has no problems but im talking about 5,10 maybe even 15 years down the road if the mazda will hold up. i dunno if you are planning to have that car for that long but it would be nice to know that it will be dependable enough to last. the reason im so concerned with this issue is that my parents want the reliable honda or toyota that have a reputation to last years and have good resale value. if i had the choice i would get the mazda3 in a second. im hoping i can get some info from people to prove to my dad that mazdas last.

the mazda we owned was an MPV which we had to replace the transmission twice

·
Registered
86 Posts
ydiddy said:
cowtown said:

Edit--

its cool that your 02 protege has no problems but im talking about 5,10 maybe even 15 years down the road if the mazda will hold up. i dunno if you are planning to have that car for that long but it would be nice to know that it will be dependable enough to last. the reason im so concerned with this issue is that my parents want the reliable honda or toyota that have a reputation to last years and have good resale value. if i had the choice i would get the mazda3 in a second. im hoping i can get some info from people to prove to my dad that mazdas last.

the mazda we owned was an MPV which we had to replace the transmission twice
First is think about it for a minute, do you actually expect we are going to be driving convential gasoline powered cars 15 years from now. You will probably be paying $25 a gallon and need a special permit. At minimum we will all be using hybrids for day to day driving.

Check a comsumer guide for reliability information on the Protege, Miata, the Pickups. You will see they are top rated for reliability. I have purchased 6 Mazdas since 97 and drove them all like I stole them. If I did not break them, they don't break. The 3 appears to be even better built than any of the others.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's a totally new car that has solid reviews from almost everyone - any discussion regarding the car 5, 10 or 15 years down the road would be pure speculation and pointless. Do what the rest of us do - read the reviews, check it out, drive it and then buy it :D
I have absolutely no concerns about the craftsmanship that has gone ito this car - hope you can talk them into it1

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well I can reference my parents 11-12 year old 626 with V6 & Auto still running strong today. It's needed things fixed but nothing that may parents didn't break or have broken for them (mostly cosmetic bumper damage etc.). They've never had a stitch of trouble with the powertrain and I think the only thing they're looking at fixing right now are the shocks and they are the original ones... Hows that for reliablity?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hmm

Reliability is a toss-up now. Mazda is doing extremely well, but it's true that it would be speculation at this point to say it will last 10-15 years. This car IMHO will last you a good 5 without problems. That's how long I plan to keep mine.

People take Japanese reliability for granted. The big 2 aren't as solidly constructed as they once were. I'm talking about the giants, Toyota and Honda. American car companies are catching up in terms of reliability. These days it's anyone's guess as far as to which cars will be the best for long-term reliability.

Consumer's Reports claims the Miata is the most reliable small sports coupe. They also have the Protoge in the top 10. I'm sure the next report will have the 3, 6 and the Miata in the tops. That gives you a general idea of how Mazda is doing.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I don't generally keep cars past 2-3 years of my ownership, and 4-5 years of my life, so I couldn't really say... all I know is ratings on Mazda are pretty much top notch, and my MZ6 has had no real problems so far.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: Hmm

factrzero said:
People take Japanese reliability for granted. The big 2 aren't as solidly constructed as they once were. I'm talking about the giants, Toyota and Honda. American car companies are catching up in terms of reliability. These days it's anyone's guess as far as to which cars will be the best for long-term reliability.
Amen! My mom has been a Honda owner as long as I've lived (23 years), and there was a huge drop in quality from her '90 Accord to her '99 Civic. Yea, Civics are the lower line, but it just feels cheap to go along with that price tag. I also hear Corolla owners complaining a lot about the amount of rattles in the car and the terrible quality of the seats. Its not big stuff, but when you go to a Corolla message board to double check how everyone likes the car, and you see things like this, it makes you turn toward another car. Glad I was pointed in the 3 direction :)

Speculating (as said before) about the reliability is just full of assumptions, and we know that saying. If the car lasts 5 years without major problems, I would be VERY happy given its a first year of production car. Major problems aren't including things like the engine light problem that some people have experienced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mazda reliability

My family has had 3 different Mazdas surpass 200,000 miles (an '84 626, an '87 626, and my '93 protege that i just gave up). The protege's engine was good for another 25-50k but the exhaust, clutch (first one), and shocks (all normal wear items) needed replacing. I also had a '90 626 up to 180,000 miles. I've heard of problems with auto trans. on mid 90s 626. Just another reason not to get an automatic.

Also, the mazda warranty is better than honda and toyota. The reliability is right there with them, as long as you keep up regular maintenance. Most of all, the new line of Mazdas (3, 6, RX-8) have much more style than any comprable cars from Honda, Toyota, or Nissan (the new Accord is god-awful looking).

Interesting note on corolla rattles. My girlfriend has an '03 corolla with this awful rattle noise coming from inside the driver's door, it sucks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
"I've heard of problems with auto trans. on mid 90s 626. Just another reason not to get an automatic."

Bah what a bunch of bunk, there is no reason not to get automatic. The current autos work fantastic and are perfectly fine. Manual trannies can experience problems time to time too and if anything the clutch can often require more maintenance than an automatic depending on who drives it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i also have had my concerns about mazda's reliability (this will be my first mazda), but it is japanese made, and looks like it's really tightly put together (which i'm sorry but i cannot say the same thing for the new hondas and toyotas)

I feel that toyota and honda have had the 'long lasting' reputation and now feel like they can slack, you also have to take in to account the demand for these cars. they must produce hundreds of thousands of civics and accords a year and they are able to move them all, with a crappy looking interior and exterior, a very small warranty, and a very limited number of options. not to mention the fact that they're getting expensive too. my friend's parents bought a 2000 accord and it was something like 12,000 now you'd be lucky to get the cheapest civic for that much. and again with the demand you can imagine they don't need to budge on the price when they're flying off the lots by people who are willing to pay MSRP.

Of course, this is a mazda forum, and people's opinions are going to be skewed, i suggest you do as much research as possible, visit the honda forums as well as here, take them both for a test drive, and make the best decision for yourself for your own reasons. I'm going to try and make this car last as possible, so we shall see, but so far i've heard a lot of happy 3 owners and not one serious problem *knocks wood*

I personally feel like as stated before it's any manufacturer's ballgame at this point, and a lot of a car's life relies on you the car owner, if you take good care of your car and do all the appropriate services at all the appropriate times you shouldn't run into any major problems with any new vehicles, for at least the first 5 years of the car's life.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am currently driving a 93' Pro with 65,000 km :D . Aside from rust under the car (which is somewhat normal for a 11 year old car) I have no problems, the car actually started at -51 degrees celcius! How cool is that and it was on the first try!

MZ3 Ownage!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Who else is with ydiddy in thinking of keeping the 3 for ten or so years? I know I am......I just can't see myself keep a car for just 5 years then go for another one.....in my case, it's because of the financial issue...but I mean why give a car up so quick if it's still working fine?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 91 Protege with 183,000 miles. I bought it new and have only had to do regular wear items like tires, brake pads and shocks. It doesn't rattle or squeak. My wife had a rental Corolla for a while and I like the Protege feel better.

If it means anything, when we bought a BMW 323i in 00 we needed to get rid of either a 92 Camry or the 91 Protege. We got rid of the Camry because it had needed more work and felt "older" than the Protege.

·
Registered
232 Posts
SyChO said:
the car actually started at -51 degrees celcius!
Are you sure it was in Celsius?? Geez...that's gotta be really cold. In any case, i too have an 11 year old car (Accord) and starts on the past few cold days got a little tricky.

·
Registered
773 Posts
-31 + the windshield factor = -51 (at its coldest)
Yesterday in the Montreal area 4000 cars had called CAA (AAA in the US) for a boost and the highway was pure "black" ice. My friend saw 3 accidents on his 20min drive back home... It was insane.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Re: Hmm

factrzero said:
Toyotas and Hondas have a reputation built on their 80s and early 90s cars. I would not base my 15 year guess (yeah, I'm ALSO looking down the road to 15 years... hehehe) on only the reputation of a company, but the overall build quality in recent.

There are Toyota Honda lemons too! ;)

I would go with a Mazda. Cheaper and better handling (for the most part). My family owns a 2000 Mazda MPV and we've had zero problems for the past 3.5 years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts