Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two things that i think would make the 3 even better:

one is to replace the current sport automatic transmission with a direct-shift gearbox like the Volkswagen GLI. Those transmissions are amazing. Their upshift times are often in single digit milliseconds.

secondly, i would love to see suicide doors on the hatchback. the rear doors are slightly hard to get in and out of and i think that suicide doors would make it easier. plus, they are extremely distinctive.

and as an afterthought...
Would extending an awd system not benefit the 3 greatly? So far the only 3 with awd is the 2.0 axela in japan. Making more 3's with AWD would give the 3 a better takeoff and better control and handling. Most likely the best candidate for awd would be the speed3 but i would love to see it on any of them.

just my thoughts...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Audis are more expensive...

And I liked the Mazda3 better. It has better styling. (and reliability ratings)

plus my parents told me i HAD to go Japanese.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
[quote author=lostrhyn link=topic=65666.msg1124872#msg1124872 date=1167417488]
two things that i think would make the 3 even better:

one is to replace the current sport automatic transmission with a direct-shift gearbox like the Volkswagen GLI. Those transmissions are amazing. Their upshift times are often in single digit milliseconds.

secondly, i would love to see suicide doors on the hatchback. the rear doors are slightly hard to get in and out of and i think that suicide doors would make it easier. plus, they are extremely distinctive.

and as an afterthought...
Would extending an awd system not benefit the 3 greatly? So far the only 3 with awd is the 2.0 axela in japan. Making more 3's with AWD would give the 3 a better takeoff and better control and handling. Most likely the best candidate for awd would be the speed3 but i would love to see it on any of them.

just my thoughts...

[/quote]

Mazda would put in a DSG-type transmission, except they don't have one. Audi is the only company to produce one and I don't think Mazda will be building one anytime soon, seeing as they probably don't have the R&D budget that Audi does.

Suicide doors may be cool to you, but the majority of people probably wouldn't like them as they are not the "normal" style for cars. The 3 doesn't carry the same recognition that Rolls Royce does. That's why the suicide door works with the Phantom, but wouldn't work with the 3.

I agree with the AWD. I guess they don't do it because it's not cost-effective??

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=lostrhyn link=topic=65666.msg1125460#msg1125460 date=1167447092]
Audis are more expensive...
(and reliability ratings)

[/quote]

Yes, and so would the Mz3 be if it had those things!

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Ah yes, the sc2. I test drove one of those back in the day. Didn't care for it at all, and it was like driving in a sardine can. Talk about a small interior! I'm not a big guy at all (5' 6", 180 lbs) but I felt cramped in that car.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
wow, if you felt cramped, I woulda had to leave the window and sunroof open. LOL

I think suicide doors would be cool. I am sure there is a kit, since there is one for gull-wing doors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought volkswagen had a dsg...

and awd could work as an available option maybe. a lot people wouldn't want it because it reduces power slightly and uses more gas. out here in bfe i'd love to have it, but i dunno how many city-dwellers would like it.

and suicide doors aren't normal. so it makes perfect sense that the majority of people wouldn't want them. but it had crossed my mind that there is prolly a kit out there for it.

i guess suicide doors would be something that I would do to my car as a more distinctive thing, but wouldn't go over too well with the general public.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
[quote author=Fiji Mazda3 link=topic=65666.msg1125476#msg1125476 date=1167447959]
I agree with the AWD. I guess they don't do it because it's not cost-effective??
[/quote]

why not rwd then? the mazda3 chassis supports it, and mazda sells a 4wd mazda3 in japan.

then they wouldnt have had to deal with torque steer at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dunno bout rear wheel drive...

i've never really been a fan of it from my experiences with rwd pickups.

fwd just feels more stable to me (compared to rwd pickups). don't have much experience with rwd cars though.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=65666.msg1126065#msg1126065 date=1167498712]
why not rwd then? the mazda3 chassis supports it, and mazda sells a 4wd mazda3 in japan.

then they wouldnt have had to deal with torque steer at all.
[/quote]

They don't do rear-wheel here because they know the majority of owners would rather have the front wheels turn than the rear wheels.

·
Registered
248 Posts
[quote author=Fiji Mazda3 link=topic=65666.msg1125476#msg1125476 date=1167447959]
Mazda would put in a DSG-type transmission, except they don't have one. Audi is the only company to produce one and I don't think Mazda will be building one anytime soon, seeing as they probably don't have the R&D budget that Audi does.
[/quote]

BMW has had one in the M3 before Audi ever had one to my knowledge, and they're both behind the F1 transmission used in Ferrari for about 10 years now, which is basically the same technology.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
I guess I made my statement too broad. You're right about the other transmission, but those are in cars that retails for $50k and $200k+, respectively. Audi would be the first company to put it in a more mainstream vehicle.

Besides, BMW's system has not received positive reviews when tested in cars like the Z4 and the new M5. Can't remember how the M3 tested.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey, it's off topic, but my Bengals are gonna squash your Steelers on Sunday! LOL

Just had to say it... :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
[quote author=lostrhyn link=topic=65666.msg1126050#msg1126050 date=1167497642]
i thought volkswagen had a dsg...[/quote]

Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG)

The Audi branch consists of:
Audi
Lamborghini
SEAT

The Volkswagen branch consists of:

Volkswagen
Bentley
Škoda
Bugatti
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

Therefore you could feasibly find a DSG in a Lambo or a Bentley soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts