Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just had the most terrifying experience of my life.

I'm driving up the on onramp of a busy highway, and as I'm about to turn on, there's a whole mess of cars behind me that are close to cutting me off, and absolutely nothing in front of them. So I do what any red-blooded American male would do- I floor it.

The first few seconds are great- I make it onto the highway with more than enough space between me and the people behind me. But then, a problem. A big one. My car isn't slowing down when I take my foot off the gas. Nope, she's deciding she wants to speed up. For the next ten seconds, my car is bouncing off the rev limiter, and I'm on the brake pedal, riding down Rt. 30 at 80MPH. The gas pedal is still stuck, presumably by the DSC.

Now, sadly, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. A few months ago, on the same onramp, in a similar situation. It was the first time out in my new 3, actually. Same deal- my gas pedal gets stuck, and I end up almost colliding with another vehicle. I try to rationalize it away- I came up with a theory where my all-weather mat covered the gas pedal, so when I try applying my brakes, I also apply gas.

But this was different. This time, it happened for ten seconds or more, and I had time to gauge my surroundings. One clue tipped me off that it was a car-controlled acceleration above all else-

It never upshifted.

After bouncing off the rev limiter a few times, it still refused to upshift. I threw it into manumatic mode and manaully upshifted to try to break the "spell", but that didn't work, either. (In retrospect, it was probably a dumb thing to do.) Panicking, I hit my 4-way flashers and pull onto the shoulder, in a desparate attempt to find a way to stop. This whole time, my foot was on the brake. Finally, after a few seconds on the shoulder, the car switched from "I MUST REACH 100MPH ASAP" mode to "I MUST STOP... NOW!" mode. The brakes kick in, big time, and I'm thrown into my seat belt.

I know DSC is supposed to save lives. That's why I bought the pricier version of the 3. BUT THIS IS NOT WHAT I PAYED FOR. If I'm hitting the brake, that means one thing- stop the f*cking car! In retrospect, I realize I could hit the "DSC OFF" button, and that should hopefully remedy the problem, but when you lose control of the vehicle you're driving, it's difficult for little things like that to come to mind.

I plan on calling both the dealer and Mazda USA as soon as they open. If this is a flaw, this must be fixed immediately. If the DSC is intended to function in this manner, it's a downright shitty design that certainly isn't promoting my safety. Thank God there were no cars ahead of me. I could have been in a serious accident, or worse, killed.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
That does sound like it is probably a DSC issue. There is some small chance it could be a stuck throttle and the ECU is having marry hell played with it when it reads a 0% throttle signal off the accelerator with the throttle plate stuck open hence the lack of upshifting, but I would not put that high on my list of likelihoods. I would deffinitely get this looked at and I would consider asking for a replacement vehicle. I would also refuse to take a 'we can't reproduce it' for an answer. This isn't a reliability issue, this is a serious safety issue.
-Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, Matt... I just got off the phone with the dealer, and they said that it was due to the fact that I have an all-weather mat on top of a regular mat, and it's causing the accelerator to stick. While I have my doubts that that's the issue, I decided to humor him and oblige. I'm still going to call Mazda USA and see if there's anybody else who's reported this issue.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
a similar situation happened with big trucker. it was because of the all-weather mats, the gas got stuck and he had to reach down and pry it from the mat at a high speed. just to let you know.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Oh, you have an all weather on top of the regular mat? I say you try humoring them as it does sound like a good way to get the accelerator stuck. It might have been what happened, but I would also be skeptical of this being the cause.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Since our throttle is drive-by-wire, it seems to me that your stuck throttle could be caused by the computer/DSC. But I think that it's a way better chance that your 2" high set of heavy floor mats caused the throttle to hang. I would chose one mat or the other, and then I would play with it in my drive way to see if I could position the mat in any way to hang on the gas pedal.

Darryl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts