Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use?

I have great difficulty using a sheepskin chamois......it doesn't dry like I expect it to!

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah....I've seen those "blades" that you can get. My friend swears by it. But I'm highly doubtful that it's THAT great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Levitron said:
Oh yeah....I've seen those "blades" that you can get. My friend swears by it. But I'm highly doubtful that it's THAT great.
I, too, have heard they work great but all my cars are DARK so I wouldn't go near them with that. Maybe with the silver or white I would consider it. I started using microfiber towels to dry and they are ok... you just have to make lots of passes

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have one of those "blades". Haven't used it on the 3 yet, but on other cars it's only good on flat surfaces.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Levitron said:
What do you use?

I have great difficulty using a sheepskin chamois......it doesn't dry like I expect it to!
I know, I bought one too. Freaking waste of 20$-I guess I'm not strong enough to wring them out. I just use high quality bathroom towels that have passed the prime of their bathroom time.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
csweeney said:
Levitron said:
What do you use?

I know, I bought one too. Freaking waste of 20$-I guess I'm not strong enough to wring them out. I just use high quality bathroom towels that have passed the prime of their bathroom time.
!?!?!

You used them before, and then used them on your car!? :wink:

All humor aside...I think I might pick up a "blade" and try it out.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Well the towels have obviously been washed. :lol:
I also use the window squeegies (sp?) to dry off my roof and windows. no scratches, no swirls.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm a big fan of chamois. Probably something I picked up from my Dad.

Yeah, you do have to wring them out fairly often. And yeah, the don't get the car 100% dry. Usually I just leave it and it's fine. If I'm waxing, I will towel dry the rest.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i use the absorber great stuff! dries it quickly...but i want to try that mr. clean hahaha dont even have to wipe to dry it!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Believe it or not, but my roommate and I have used a clean ShopVac for drying our cars. Just switch the mode to blow and it really helps to get the water out of those hard to dry spots like the honey comb grill and from the corners of the sideview mirrors. Do this in combination with a cotten hand towel and you should get a really dry car.

Just make sure the ground you're on isn't wet as most ShopVacs need a power cord to work. Wouldn't want to get electricuted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
At the local Unocal station, they use an air compressor driving some strong air to get all the water off of a car. I can't say that it's hurt my old car's finish, and it's quick to work too. Maybe I'll get my car washed there tomorrow--it's been almost two weeks since I've washed mine, and it needs it.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
It's not even that you have to wring out chamois often, I just can't seem to wring it out. It stays sopping wet. I know it's supposed to be damp, but if all the water just stays in there, the car gets all these spots, and i hate spots!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
i use the absorber great stuff! dries it quickly...but i want to try that mr. clean hahaha dont even have to wipe to dry it!
I also use an Absorber; it works very well, and fairly easy to wring out. I use a cotton towel(s) for the wheels, and door/trunk/hood jambs.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
lmp180psu said:
funkyfreshmonke said:
I also use an Absorber; it works very well, and fairly easy to wring out. I use a cotton towel(s) for the wheels, and door/trunk/hood jambs.

haha hey we're the same those are the exact things i use! hahah

·
Registered
202 Posts
what's an absorber?

how about the "drive fast" car drying method? I woudl think it's the same as using a blower.

what are the benefits of using a chamois? I've got a silver car so i don't have to worry about swirl marks as much, but I'm definitely not using old bath towels.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What about those miracle cloth they sell at the PNE (or other county fairs). You know... those orange cloths that they swear pick up a ton of liquid? I've used one inside my house and I was surprised how much they hold and how easy they wring out. I only have small ones right now but next time I see them for sale, I'm buying a big one for my car. I expect it'll work wonders. And its way softer than a bathroom towel too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah I've seen those marketed as the Super Chamois (or Super Shammie) at the Car shows. I've used one before, and they are definitely more absorbent than a real chamois. But not sure how abrasive or non-abrasive they really are. I never understood the purpose of using a real chamois (animal skin)? They aren't that absorbent at all. The only good use i've had for a chamois is blending charcoal in a drawing.

Le Shammie Super
http://www.neatitems.com/chamois.htm

so:

What's an "absorber"
and where do you get the microfiber towels?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
An "Absorber" is a brand name for a synthetic drying cloth. You can find it at local auto parts stores; it comes in a cylindrical container about 6-8 inches long, and comes in different colors. It says on the package to soak it in warm water before it's first use, and you should store it damp in its container when you are finished drying your car. Also it can be washed in the washing machine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
thanks for the info. I looked it up online, and a few forums where i found it mentioned had people that recommended Big Blue over The Absorber.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/fa/p/pid/1850/cid/102/sc/2737
This other guy on this forum that I found did an experiment to compare Big Blue and The absorber
http://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/22805.phtml

Here's are the results:
DRY weight
The Absorber - 6.2 ounces
Big Blue - 7.7 ounces

WET weight
The Absorber - 13.70 ounces
Big Blue - 35.50 ounces

Weight of water absorbed:
The Absorber - 8.4 ounces
Big Blue - 27.80 ounces

"Absorbtion factor"
The Absorber - 1.35x absorbency by weight
Big Blue - 3.61x absorbency by weight

If you do the math - the Big Blue towel absorbed OVER ONE LITER of water!!! Case closed.
heh. i don't even know why i'm so interested in this. I dont' have a house, so i don't i know when the next time i actually will wash the car myself will be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts