Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2007 S-GT sedan 3 weeks ago. About 1.5 weeks in I noticed that the driver's side headlight was "shaking" when I would go over bumps in the road. The passenger's side was fine. I took it in to Mazda and they replaced the entire driver's side assembly. Much to my dismay this has not fixed the problem at all, if anything I think it's a little bit worse.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the fix? Driving at night is now very annoying as I cannot stop concentrating on the light as it shakes. If the passenger side did it too I would be apt to say it was a normal condition.

HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
complain to Mazda or the dealership from which u bought the car from....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well crap! Thanks for the input, I was afraid of that. So I'm looking at 5 years of a shaking, annoying headlight. I guess I'll become really well known at my local Mazda dealer. :p

·
Registered
976 Posts
[quote author=cacarguy link=topic=69475.msg1206952#msg1206952 date=1171467314]
Well crap! Thanks for the input, I was afraid of that. So I'm looking at 5 years of a shaking, annoying headlight. I guess I'll become really well known at my local Mazda dealer. :p
[/quote]

I don't have stock HIDs, but the HIDs that I have do that
-Helios - paid $450 - flicker over bumps
-Prolumen - Paid $300 - flicker over bumps

I have another two sets of ballasts that I haven't tried but I don't plan on trying anmore because I got used to it.
I don't know what to tell you lol. Maybe you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=neeldub link=topic=69475.msg1206908#msg1206908 date=1171465811]
complain to Mazda or the dealership from which u bought the car from....
[/quote]

Ok, update. I've been talking with the dealership for 2 weeks now. The service manger and lead service advisor agree with me that the "shake", "bounce", "flicker", whatever you want to call it, should not be happening. They are going to take out 2 or 3 brand new 3s with HID out tonight after it gets dark and see if they can replicate the issue. If they get the same result, well then I guess we are all disappointed. If they don't get the same result they are going to examine those cars closely and then call me next week to come in for another fix attempt.

I know there are a lot of people on here that say it is just a normal issue with the 3, but it still doesn't seem right. If it was really that normal why does only one side shake? Why not both? I'll post another update when I talk with the dealer next week.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am glad we have U here - someone who do not give up to fast :) I hope we will hear soon from U with some update... I have app. with service departm. this coming monday - they are going change my computer/clima screen cause the clock is not working right - to fast or to slow - and I found TBS for that.. so I will have a chance to mention about the lights too.. not sure if they are going do anything about it but we'll see.. so keep us update.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I went to the dealership tonight and drove around with some regional Mazda guy who was up from San Diego. He saw the "flicker" right away and said, "oh that doesn't look right at all". When we got back to the dealership he pushed on my light assembly and the entire thing moved (had play in it), the passenger side did not.

So it goes back in tomorrow morning and they are going to take out each assembly and look to see what is in the right one that is not in the left. He also thought that maybe there was an issue with the bumber assembly...maybe that is loose and causing the light to move.

I should know more tomorrow...

·
Registered
104 Posts
LUCKY U! My dealer did nothing.. cause when I told them about it.. they couldn't find anything to worry about.. hope there will be more from Your side.. that way maybe we can find out what is going on with it. thanx for the effort..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell I ain't giving up, not when I'm this close to getting it fixed (I hope). It helps that the Mazda "big-wig" in the car with me said, "man that would get annoying fast!" No kidding, really?

·
Registered
14 Posts
this car seems very problematic with headlights. i am having problems installing my hids, others have problems with flickering and so forth. i got this car brand new because i didnt want to deal with any headaches and i'd figure everything be easy to install or modify. boy was i wrong. being this is my 3rd car and, this car is probably by far the worse in lighting. my other cars never had that problem. in fact i cant believe this would actually pass mazda's qc. i guess this will probably be my first and last mazda.

isnt there a lemon law where if they cant fix it after 3 attempts they need to give you a brand new car? i know ford had something like that years back where this couldnt fix this guys step board so they finally just gave him a new truck. of course he was a friend's friend, but thats what i heard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
comon lets not fall into drama cause of lights? Lemon law for light or modification?:) comon.. light is shaking - I agree - it is a problem or at least it is annoying.. but it is not a SEVERE problem.. if they can fix it I will be more than happy cause I love this car - no problems at all so far besides shaking light.. and so far it is the best light system I had in my cars.. if U still think this is a POS car.. look here on my EX car story... : http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002198.html

Did U change your mind now?

good luck with your car unless U GOT A REAL LEMON ONE!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealership's service manager just called me, "I've been on the phone with techline and they tell me it's normal operation but want me to go drive some other cars to verify. I'm calling bullshit on techline. If it's normal operation why would I need to dive other cars to verify it? Rex drove with you last night and verified the problem so he is going to drive three more cars tonight with the same set up and see what happens. I'm keeping this ticket open...I'm not about to close it out yet just because techline says it's normal. I want to take care of you."

This is where I start laughing. I gotta say the service manager is a kick in the butt and is trying to fix my problem...not just brush me off like other [honda] dealers did in the past when I had an issue. I hope it can be fixed, cause living with it for 5 years until I get rid of the car will be a major pain in my ass. COME ON MAZDA, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE WITH THIS PROBLEM!!! ADMIT YOU DONE WRONG AND GIVE A FIX OUT THERE TO ALL OF US! :loco:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Makes me wonder how they decided to replace the air bag sensor for free back in 2004.

Some Guy: My air bag didn't deploy when I rear-ended some other car.
Mazda: I've been on the phone with techline and they tell me it's normal operation but want me to go drive around and rear-end some other cars to verify......

·
Registered
14 Posts
their techs must be geniuses. as far as the car is concerned, its not a lemon, just thought it didnt need to be that difficult to put in a hid kit. i've been reading a lot of stories off the board and a quite a few people have problems with it. i guess it might be the type of kits they used too. well going to try my 3rd kit real soon and see if i can get it right. i think after this one i give up and just stick with stock halogens.

after reading your story i feel for you. that really blows. its not that bad in this case, but if my headlights were shaking with every bump i would find it severely annoying and for that reason alone i would keep taking it back till they fixed it. hey you purchased a new car not to deal with any of these problems didnt you? if you wanted a shakey headlight and other problems you could of saved lots of money and gotten another used vw. well all i am saying is that i work hard for my money, when i spend it on something new, i expect it to work flawlessly at least for the first few months, and i definitely expect them to fix it if its not. as far as the HID goes, thats my problem and i should have done my research prior to buying the car. i was undecided until i walked into the dealer, i wanted to get a tc, the mazda3 or the hyundai sonata. ended up with the 3, other than the HID problem,

other complaints, the gas mileage kinda sucks and its no where near the advertised 26/31 too. also has less zip than what i thought it might have - cmon its suppose to put out at the very least 150 for the 2.3, but my teg with less hp had more power than this. blah, you win some and you lose some. i might trade it in after 1 year....its okay to drive but i couldnt say no because they gave me such a great deal. well below invoice price. oh wells!

·
Registered
976 Posts
[quote author=ewong915 link=topic=69475.msg1256296#msg1256296 date=1173370944]
their techs must be geniuses. as far as the car is concerned, its not a lemon, just thought it didnt need to be that difficult to put in a hid kit. i've been reading a lot of stories off the board and a quite a few people have problems with it. i guess it might be the type of kits they used too. well going to try my 3rd kit real soon and see if i can get it right. i think after this one i give up and just stick with stock halogens.

after reading your story i feel for you. that really blows. its not that bad in this case, but if my headlights were shaking with every bump i would find it severely annoying and for that reason alone i would keep taking it back till they fixed it. hey you purchased a new car not to deal with any of these problems didnt you? if you wanted a shakey headlight and other problems you could of saved lots of money and gotten another used vw. well all i am saying is that i work hard for my money, when i spend it on something new, i expect it to work flawlessly at least for the first few months, and i definitely expect them to fix it if its not. as far as the HID goes, thats my problem and i should have done my research prior to buying the car. i was undecided until i walked into the dealer, i wanted to get a tc, the mazda3 or the hyundai sonata. ended up with the 3, other than the HID problem,

other complaints, the gas mileage kinda sucks and its no where near the advertised 26/31 too. also has less zip than what i thought it might have - cmon its suppose to put out at the very least 150 for the 2.3, but my teg with less hp had more power than this. blah, you win some and you lose some. i might trade it in after 1 year....its okay to drive but i couldnt say no because they gave me such a great deal. well below invoice price. oh wells!
[/quote]

no where near the advertised 26/31...and you wonder how they come up with the number...uh...let's see

Weight reduction which probably means 15 inch wheels, no girlfriend, drive naked, nothing in the trunk, glovebox, center console box and nothing in the back seat; and the car was driven by some slim, light-weighted japenese dude for further more weight reduction and he probably drove like a grandma.

That's how they got 26/31?

·
Registered
14 Posts
lol, lets see i think i am getting like ummm 20-23 mpg at best. well i got the car in last week of jan, i already have 2500 miles on it. do you think i do a lot of driving?

i think i need to switch cars when the sentra goes on sale. tired of filling up every 3 days.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is the same as me... bought in on Jan 24th and I have 2,564 miles as of this morning. I don't fill up that often though...once a week I think is my average. I just got 25.5 mpg on this last tank and that seems about average (23-28 is the range I have gotten). While the MPG may not be as high as other cars, the amenities and the power from the 3 sure can't be beat. I love my 3 and would take it over my Civic any day of the week.

Now back to the original thread topic...my HID shaking headlight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts