Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading other forums, apparently there's a delay when changing throttle input on the Mazda 3... drive by cable or throttle or something like...

Anyone feel this on their Mazda 3?

I find it odd that Mazda 3 would have this... and yet, no test driver (magazine or anything) has been able to pick this up ??

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
the 3 has a drive by wire system. The throttle is eletronically controlled, hence the slight delay.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it something of a bother? a problem?

·
Registered
51 Posts
dugrant153 said:
Is it something of a bother? a problem?
Well yeah, sort of. DBW is getting more and more popular on cars today, but I can't say I understand what the advantage is. It does introduce a lag into the throttle input. I've heard people complain about it on both the 3 and the 6. But it's not just Mazda that's using it. Personally, I think it's easier to work around it with a manual rather than an automatic. As far as car mags and testers go, they're probably just used to it by now. My experience is that I would prefer the M3 be cable driven, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
DBW is the direction cars should be headed. Cars are mostly simple machines, and they have been since they were invented. I've always wondered, why in this age of electronics, parts of a car are not electronically controlled, for it would be infinitely more efficient.

Anyway, as to what DBW is- Drive By Wire is a general term which means a part of the car is electronically controlled as opposed to being controlled by mechanical means. In this case, the throttle is electronically controlled.

The Benefit- The ECU collects information regarding RPM, position of the pedal, gear, and the car's specs to maximize the throttle's efficiency.

The Drawback- There's a lag.

I think we'd do well do continue in this direction, if all we have to suffer is a little lag.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The lag in Drive-by-Wire varies a lot from car to car. In the Audi it was so apparent that my middle-aged Chinese wife was even put off by it and would not buy the car because of it. In the Boxster it is not noticeable at all. It feels like a cable system.

In the Mazda 3 the lag is not objectionable. It is hardly noticeable in the manual transmission version. I haven't driven the auto, however.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I can hardly notice it. My Jetta had CRAZY lag... before I got it chipped I kept firing my nitrous too early.

After the chip, my 3 still feels quicker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts