Mazda3 Forums banner

Drive a manual or automatic.

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Don't own a 3, but my 2 cars are AT, although I would have wanted them in MT - my next car will be an MT for sure.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I'm pretty sure that most males will say "manual" because it is "more fun", but I voted Male-auto, because I don't know how to drive a manual and don't know anyone close that drives a manual that I can learn from :( I bet it would be more fun to drive the manual in the MZ3, but I think the manumatic of the auto will be a sufficient alternative. I bet the MZ3 will be fun no matter what trans. you choose :) It's not like you will be driving a Civic, or worse yet a Corolla :(

Edit: I do not own one yet, but when I do, it will be an auto for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've driven both auto's and manuals.

Autos are for convience (especially if I have to go to hilly San Francisco).
Manuals are more fun (especially going through twisties)

I have a Manual MZ3 and it is really fun :twisted:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i have an auto mz3 with the lazy mans stick =D hahaha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Titanium Dragon said:

I'd like auto for my next car.. n' I m a male.. anyways.. how's the auto response in the hilly road? u know it's very frustrating when the car shift too early or all of a sudden make a very uncomfortable down shift when u stepped deeper on the gas pedal...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
daibachin said:
Titanium Dragon said:

I'd like auto for my next car.. n' I m a male.. anyways.. how's the auto response in the hilly road? u know it's very frustrating when the car shift too early or all of a sudden make a very uncomfortable down shift when u stepped deeper on the gas pedal...
the sport mode for the AT lets you take control of the shifting yourself without much interruption

btw, I voted male, auto, I'm too lazy to learn manual :p

·
Registered
744 Posts
I voted male-manual because mine is a manual. A manual transmission gives you more control, slowing down and speeding up, and the manual transmission is always the transmission tested that give the performance 0-60 times.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I get auto's because my Wife chooses not to drive MT. Though she doesn't have her license but at some point she might. At any rate with Calgary traffic as it can be the auto is a life saver and to be truthful with the manumatic I'm getting enough jollies to not miss the MT that much.

That said I'm sure this car would be great with the MT, I've driven a lot of MT over the years and they are by far the most fun if you don't have to contend with bumper to bumper traffic all the time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
male-m/t
this is the first m/t car i've owned. its fun to drive, especially on the open road and cruisin at night. but a/t would be better for tedious tasks, when you don't really feel like driving. and i prefer a/t in the snow.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I just got through with a test drive on a manual and my intentions are sealed. Manual is the way to go with the 3. (Put me down for male M/T)

The shifting is near effortless compared to some other manuals I've driven ('93 Saturn, '96 Civic, '03 A4). I haven't driven a manual regularly in 3 years and felt very confident right out of the lot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
im going to go for a manual on this one, although the automatic gives you a little better gas mileage. yea the manual has got to be more fun. but i guess if you are willing to spend the extra 700 or so for the automatic, go for that it...its easier :wink:

·
Registered
882 Posts
ACtually Vartex the manual will give you better overall gas milage especially on the highway with that extra gear.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I went auto on this one. My Wrangler is a stick, and that's enough excitement for me. I consider the 3 my old man vehicle :D . Not too shabby for an old man vehicle. Ibasically got everything that my Wrangler does not have. Which basically is everything other than PS/PB.

Craig

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I voted Male = Auto because my MZ3 is auto...

I've never taken the time to learn manual. Tried a few times in my teen years, but almost ripped my friends trannys out. hahaha

I've wanted to learn, but as the typical american male...I'm lazy. heehee If your tired driving home late at night, taking a road trip, driving in rain/snow....I think AT has the advantage.

Throw in the fun factor, the typical $2,000 price difference, the speed increase....manuals are attractive.

I'll hafta learn the sports shift soon on my MZ3.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Well I don't own one, but the only one I test drove was the manual 3s. Zoom Zoom baby!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Male/Manual. And I drive it in the NY Metropolitan area. Traffic is a pleasure in this (partly due to the gearing ratios and partly due to the Drive By the Wire System).

Once out in the open highways and twisties of the North Shore Long Island (rich people land) or Upstate NY, the car becomes a thrill to drive.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Manuals will always give you better performance, usually a good 0.8-1.0 second from 0-60, better gas mileage, and cost less. As others have reported, the Mz3 has a very good manual transmission.

Autos give you easier driving. The Sport Stick will give you more control & let you run the RPMs up more than an auto typically will. But it still isn't as quick as a manual, at 0-60, in passing, in anything. An auto robs the engine of a few hp to the wheels. But at least you would have some of the fun of running it through the gears and the option of downshifting on slick roads.

If you like running through the twisties and want all the performance you can get, then the manual is the choice. If you are satisfied with most of the performance and don't want to shift gears 50 times on the way to work, then go auto.

Note Mazda recognizes that even the 3's will differ in who they appeal to. More of the sedans will have auto than hatches. Same thing with Volkswagen. While technically they offer the 1.8T and VR6 Golf's with auto, it can be very hard to find one. Many more autos on the Jetta.

·
Registered
773 Posts
FunkyFresh, I noticed you're from Oxnard...I live in Carpinteria, and if you're from VC, you know where that is I'm sure. I haven't seen many of the 3 in our area yet, have you? Anyway, just remarking on what a small world it is.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, as was the original intent of this topic, why I voted Auto. I got an auto because of all the times I was stuck in LA or SF traffic inching forward in first, putting it in neutral, inching in first, repeat ad nauseum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts