Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey got my VIS CF hood and now I need to drill holes for my grill to fit as well as for the hood pins. I was wondering if any of the other guys with cf hoods had to drill the holes for their grill. Also I am seriously pissed the hood came with three large bubbles in the clear coat WTF, I am currently waiting for an explanation from the seller but am pretty sure I am not getting a refund since it is sold as is but they also say it is inspected for defects before shipping. I guess they don't consider two one inch bubbles and one 3/4 inch bubble (2 of which are smack dab in the middle of the hood) as a defect.

Anyway I'm a little sacred about all the drilling I need to do for the hood pins and grill(especially the grill--just doing enough holes so that I can get the grill on). Is there any special way of drilling the CF hood? 

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i have a VIS hood and it fades pretty good.I got the hood pins installed and drilled my a shop.I didnt trust myself when drilling into it

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=djv154 link=topic=139895.msg3015215#msg3015215 date=1237945184]
i have a VIS hood and it fades pretty good.I got the hood pins installed and drilled my a shop.I didnt trust myself when drilling into it
[/quote]

Did you pay for it to be drilled, if so how much? Also did you put the hood on yourself and how bad is the fitment really?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
before you drill talk to the person that sold it to you.. to see if u can exchange it or something

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=Carowen link=topic=139895.msg3015335#msg3015335 date=1237948619]
before you drill talk to the person that sold it to you.. to see if u can exchange it or something
[/quote]

Yea I sent them an email before I made this thread I'm not touching the hood until I get word from them. I'm just getting this info a ahead of time since I broke my old hood and haven't been able to drive it for several weeks (no hood on the car is illegal in MD).

I want to get the hood as soon as possible so I can drive my F'ing car again. I've all ready began too cool down about the bubbles. My car is covered with signs of age and is in no way a show car, I got the hood for function over looks and just for something different since I had to replace the old one anyway. The bubbles pissed me off when I opened it, but if I need to I can get over it like all the other imperfections on the car--it's not an M3 just a MZR3. :) it doesn't need to be perfect.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About how much should I expect to pay for drilling holes for the hood pins, the grill, and making the holes for the windshield wiper nozzles bigger? I'm kinda poor right now :lol:

·
Registered
658 Posts
It should depend on their hourly rate and how long it takes them to do it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
why u need pins?

just use the hood latch...mine holds while driving 140km/h without issue...

as for drilling...start with a small drill bit and work ur way up...the hood is not made 100%
of CF, the backing is some fiberglass...Ues reverse drill...cuz forward drill rips off the Cf
and fibreglass to fast...its slow...but its alot faster..thats how i made some extra holes
on my cf hoood!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I've drilled the holes for my grill and it is firmly on, with little drama. I drove around a little bit and hood does not move at all--stays completely planted even at 70mph. Also the guy who sold it to me gave me a discount so it's all good. I'm just going to hold off on my hood pins for a little while. Right now I'll just pray that it doesn't smack into my windshield.

Just one more question, is it my imagination or are these bubbles in the clear coat getting bigger!?!?!?!?! I actually thought that is was extra clear coat or gel or whatever but I think they're getting bigger, probably from the heat from the engine expanding the air?!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
u should take the blanket under the stock hood and put it under the cf hood..thus less heat is transmitted onto the hood...ull need to drill some more holes thou!

btw...try to keep a look at the part where the latch is...after a while..it might start depveloping cracks..mine is starting to do that...its fiberglass afterall...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=Max_Sensation link=topic=139895.msg3031753#msg3031753 date=1238603474]
u should take the blanket under the stock hood and put it under the cf hood..thus less heat is transmitted onto the hood...ull need to drill some more holes thou!

btw...try to keep a look at the part where the latch is...after a while..it might start depveloping cracks..mine is starting to do that...its fiberglass afterall...
[/quote]

I'll be sure to check, I'll be putting the pins on next week any way (spring break). I think you may want to too if you are getting cracks around the latch. If it cracks your hood may rip off, as I'm sure you probably allready know.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
hey i have pins on my hood max.haha i didnt want my hood flying up and plus im hating my cf hood because it fades alot.....good luck zoomba with the pins.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not overly worried with the fading. I drive mostly at night and always park in a garage either at work, school or at home. Also, I always wax. if it fades anyway...well oh well hopefully it will last more than a year.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[quote author=Max_Sensation link=topic=139895.msg3035266#msg3035266 date=1238712893]
u gys have any fitment issues with the hood?
[/quote]

Well it opens and closes. There is a bit of a gap on the sides along the fenders, not really noticeale though. Also I had to bend down the rear end of the fenders so that the back corners of the hood didn't dig them up when I opened the hood, but that was probably due to damage from my accident. You may have to play around withe hinges to get good fitment.

If you still have the stock hood I would advise against the
VIS CF hood.

Poor fitment
serious fading and yellowing issues
money that can be better spent
only the top is actually CF
need to do drilling
possibly bubbles like mine

The only reason I got one was because I f'ed up the stock one and didn't want to spend around $400+ (hood+shipping+painting) for what I allready had. decided if I was going to spend that much I might as well get something different.

That being said currently I really like, lol.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
[quote author=Max_Sensation link=topic=139895.msg3035266#msg3035266 date=1238712893]
u gys have any fitment issues with the hood?
[/quote]

my fitment wasnt that bad as some other people so i got lucky.But even when i wax once a week it still fades.So im going to paint my cf parts probably.My cf wing is getting faded too..

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
yeah...mine is in the brown/yellow too....

i tried waxing it...doesnt work....i compared mine with my buddies new one he just got and his is 100x better...

i think i need a new clear coat on my hood!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yup reclear it with a thicker clear and it should be good..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts