Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Doesn't it look like e-brake turing like they're doing would slow down speed around a turn? Wouldn't it be more effective to actually power through it?

I have 0 experience in driving like that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
not necessarily. drifters use rwd cars, and theyre generally gutted and have suspension setups that tend to make the back end extremely easy to get loose. didnt actually have time to watch the video, but the common cars are the 240 and 180 sx's. in a few turns e-brakes are used, but in chicanes and hairpins i do believe its unnecessary. this is all from what i've gathered anyways. however, absinthe, you are correct, the better the drift, the more points awarded. its big in japan and is beginning to catch on here with car lovers and enthusiasts alike

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
gunmetal6i said:
not necessarily. drifters use rwd cars, and theyre generally gutted and have suspension setups that tend to make the back end extremely easy to get loose. didnt actually have time to watch the video, but the common cars are the 240 and 180 sx's. in a few turns e-brakes are used, but in chicanes and hairpins i do believe its unnecessary. this is all from what i've gathered anyways. however, absinthe, you are correct, the better the drift, the more points awarded. its big in japan and is beginning to catch on here with car lovers and enthusiasts alike
Add to that old school rotary's (r100, turboII) and 85-87 JDM corollas.

Japan always has the badass RWDs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
hey guys!!! since it is snowing in Vancouver right now!!!
All the ones who has mz3 should go test on the performance on slippery road!!

go to Lansdowne or Richmond Kwantlen!! Big open areas!!! my bf drifted his TSX like crazy...doing 360, donuts...all the crazy stuff...
btw, careful of the bumps and islands in both lansdowne and kwantlen parking lots!!!

if any of u ar bored....Lansdowne or kwantlen are the placees to go!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
o...it was u guys who left those tire marks...haha!!!

so...does the Mz3 drift good????

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'd define drifting your car for sport as a controlled slide or sliding due to loss of tire(s) traction.

It seems a little embaressing that some people here don't know the technical aspects of car drifts.

Without trying to sound like some sort of troll, I just wanted to say that understanding your car's handling and physical dynamics can very well save you from serious injury or death. If you like to drift, please do it somewhere safe (controlled) like a race track. Doing drifts on public streets only make the responsible individuals who drift on a track, look bad.

Every car has a different mode of drive. There is
Front Wheel Drive = Front tires are powered by the motor to move your car
Rear Wheel Drive = Rear tires are powered by the motor to move your car
All Wheel Drive = All four tires are powered by the motor to move your car

There are other factors that need to be considered when understanding how a car handles. Power of of the engine, quality of tires, suspension, chassis rigidity, etc. The weight distrubution of your car also makes a BIG difference in how your car handles in a drift. Center of gravity, controlled shifting of the momentum, etc. Most FWD cars are heavy in the front part because more weight on the front tires means more traction for them.

I noticed in the Mazda 3, for example, the engine is front of the front wheel axle, putting quite a bit of weight to the front of the car.

From what I see in this video, the guy is driving some sort of FWD hatchback. It looks like a Honda Civic hatchback. If you notice, the back tires stop moving (spinning) completely due to his using the e-brake.

My simple explanation:
===============

Now if you think about it, if he's turning the car slightly either left or right, the front of end of the car is going to naturally lead into the turn, then he suddenly locks his back tires. Well, the front tires are still spinning and receiving traction. But the back end of the car now has a lot less traction due to the fact that the tires aren't allowed to spin. Well, the back end of the car would naturally continue going in the direction it was originally traveling. This causes the back end to "swing out" because the front end is still traveling on it's curved trajectory, but the back end is still wanting to go in it's original trajectory, but because your car isn't a rubber band, multiple forces/momentums will act on the car. Simply put, one force from the front and the other from the back. The driver, in this case, controls the pointing direction of his car via the driving tires (the front) and the judicious use of the the e-brake. The driver will have to disengage the e-brake to unlock the back tires (to allow them to regain traction), otherwise, he would continue to swing the back end out (due to the loss of traction), causing him to "spin-out" the whole car (especially dangerous during a wheel to wheel race).

Rear wheel drive cars are a completely different story. vaBooM and gunmetal6i are right that a lot of "drifters" use a RWD car for drift styled racing. But the handling dynamics of a RWD are completely different. The car is being "pushed" rather than being "pulled" as in a FWD.

And if you get into WRC and rally racing with AWD monsters (Subaru WRX Sti's and Misubishi's LanEvo's), that's a whole other ball game. :twisted:

There's more than one way to drift a car. E-braking is one of the simpler ways to get your car to initiate a drift. But the Japanese got it down when it comes to showy drift racing. There are techniques such power sliding (what most Americans know from their muscle cars) there is also braking drifts (very advanced techinque) If I can find a Internet resource (hopefully translated) I'll post it here. There are plenty of videos out there for sale on VHS or DVD's.

Oh, and if anybody is a big fan of Japanese Animation (aka Anime) go look for a series called "Initial D" It's what caused me to get interested in learning about the car drift scene when I was a kid.

Stay safe you guys :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was drifting my mz3 a few days ago just on dry asphalt. It drifted really good considering it's just a FWD car. you just need to get some speed in 2nd gear, then turn hard and E-brake it and once you start to lose traction turn the wheels the opposite way and gas it in 1st gear.

·
Registered
581 Posts
@Erv187: Yes, that is how generally people do it. But do you know "why" what you did, works? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
vaBooM said:
gunmetal6i said:
Add to that old school rotary's (r100, turboII) and 85-87 JDM corollas.

Japan always has the badass RWDs.
Turbo II is old school? No, the RX2,3 and 4's are "old school". And the Corolla's WHERE available in the US! 1984-1986 Corolla GT-S. Yes, they where RWD and they are rare no matter what market you look in.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Corolla GT-S 1986? Go Haichi Roku! :D (Haichi means 8 and Roku means 6).

For those of you who like Japanese Animation, go watch the anime series "Initial D"

Basic story: a rather young 18 yr old driver by the name of Takumi Fujiwara leads a rather normal life. He's a senior in High School, has a part time job working at a full service gas station, and helps his dad out with the Tofu Shop which also happens to be his home. But when he makes deliveries for his father in his Panda (black & white) Haichi Roku, he turns into an amazing drift driver. This get's him into the world of street/mountain racing in Japan when he out runs a monsterous RX7-FD3S heading his way home from a delivery one day. Unfortunately for Takumi, the driver belonged to a superb racing group who's goal was to be the best race-group in the Gunman district. The losing driver wants revenge and soon, word gets out and every other race-group wants to take Takumi and his Haichi Roku, down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
d1 irwindale feb 28th!!! that car is FF, so its reallly not consider as drifting to some people, instead they call it "ass draggin"i made some awesome music videos of drifting. Iono where to put em up though.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Erv187 said:
I was drifting my mz3 a few days ago just on dry asphalt. It drifted really good considering it's just a FWD car. you just need to get some speed in 2nd gear, then turn hard and E-brake it and once you start to lose traction turn the wheels the opposite way and gas it in 1st gear.
Wouldn't that kill you brakes??? I just did it it was fun but wouldn't kill it and ur trasmission??

·
Registered
267 Posts
I went to the D1 Competition (japan vs USA) recently with my friend who runs custom carbons, at the cali. speedway. and yes you can drift a fwd car, a sponsored CRX was demoing for falken. FWD only effectivly drifts with e-brake style but the driver was good enough to keep the same lines as the rwd cars. On a side note mazda 3's were on the track but not drifting, they are the "support vehicles" for the XDL and for the d1 comp. I have pics and some .movs, i'll link em up when i get a chance. at the vendor area the drag mazda3 was there and looking inside it there is literally nothing left of the origional except for the engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts