Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really worth the risk installing one and hoping it doesn't smoke? I am so close to buying yet so afraid I might be one of the chosen ones. I'm sure there are others asking the same question.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It is totally worth it. The bet upgrade you can bolt on in my (and many others) opinion.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
[quote author=sleep_er link=topic=137366.msg2961596#msg2961596 date=1235607450]
Is it really worth the risk installing one and hoping it doesn't smoke? I am so close to buying yet so afraid I might be one of the chosen ones. I'm sure there are others asking the same question.
[/quote]

I'm wondering the same thing myself, considering some people have had serious problems after only 500 miles of bolting the thing on. It's either a "full" downpipe or just a test pipe for me.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you are doing the install yourself, and don't mind taking the time to remove it for a warranty claim, I'd say it's definately worth it. I myself, am sticking with race pipe for ease of removal.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i installed a rp about a year ago, after 100miles it started smoking, so it's not just dp that makes it smoke, rp will too. i thought that if you put inlet pipe this will resolve the issue??

i just ordered corksport DP yesterday, can't wait for it to come in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
if you're already smoking with a rp, i would handle that before going full dp. i run a catless dp with no smoke. i ran a txs rp before that with no smoke.
i don't take my downpipe off...i don't go to the dealer. assholes...
anyway downpipe ftw.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The DP or RP does not make your turbo seals leak!!!!!!!!! If you put the DP on and the enigne smokes they were leaking with the stock pipe and Cat but the Cat was cleaning it up before it came out the tail pipe. You just could not see it. (Cat's are designed to clean up the tail pipe emissions!)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dammit I am totally in now. LOL I was gonna pick up SU's tmic but after getting this much response I may just join the dp group!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
cp-e catted dp ftmfw!!! no cel's ftw!!!!!

if u get smoke and you are within warranty and in the northeast, drop me a pm and i can refer you to an awesome dealer. they replace turbos under warranty no questions asked, plus they are cool with mods and their mazdaspeed techs know their shit!!!!

go with cp-e and you will be happy....

·
Registered
368 Posts
[quote author=mazdaj link=topic=137366.msg2963560#msg2963560 date=1235682328]
cp-e catted dp ftmfw!!! no cel's ftw!!!!!

if u get smoke and you are within warranty and in the northeast, drop me a pm and i can refer you to an awesome dealer. they replace turbos under warranty no questions asked, plus they are cool with mods and their mazdaspeed techs know their shit!!!!

go with cp-e and you will be happy....
[/quote]Do they know any (California S.F. bay area dealers) for your buds out here on the west coast, haha... :lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are in luck I am actually very far from you guys. Im in Hawaii and we only have two mazda dealers here JN and Cutter Mazda. Cutter is not really mod friendly but i know JN replaced a buddys turbo with the dp on. On the other hand, I dont usually take my car in for service I do most of them myself. Just preparing for whatever may come up and hopefully the dealers will be forgiving.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone do a DIY on this? Most of the shops have experienced removing an ms3 dp and the shops I called have rejected the job! I am afraid of even doing this DIY due to a worst case scenario I break the o2 sensors or i cant get it off after removing couple of the turbo studs and one wont come out lol.....

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
[quote author=sleep_er link=topic=137366.msg2964536#msg2964536 date=1235709543]
Anyone do a DIY on this? Most of the shops have experienced removing an ms3 dp and the shops I called have rejected the job! I am afraid of even doing this DIY due to a worst case scenario I break the o2 sensors or i cant get it off after removing couple of the turbo studs and one wont come out lol.....
[/quote]

If you've done what you claim to have done. I suggest that you check your regional thread, someone will be willing to help you out if you're not really experienced.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am from Hawaii there are probably less than 8 mazdaspeed owners I have met that post through the local forums and/or know that others exist. only two are running downpipes and the shops they went to took the whole day just to remove it and one actually couldnt do it and ended up breaking the secondary o2 sensor. they didnt even tell him about it and denied it when his cel came on.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
[quote author=Byron link=topic=137366.msg2963256#msg2963256 date=1235674793]
The DP or RP does not make your turbo seals leak!!!!!!!!! If you put the DP on and the enigne smokes they were leaking with the stock pipe and Cat but the Cat was cleaning it up before it came out the tail pipe. You just could not see it. (Cat's are designed to clean up the tail pipe emissions!)
[/quote]

as far as i know that is not entirely true. One of the reasons for the gasket to smoke is reduced back pressure. While yes the cat will filter the smoke.
Although everyone agrees that it's a poorly designed (crappy) gasket. And this shouldn't happen.

i had my turbo swapped almost a year ago.

Did it at the place that MazdaJ is talking about. They don't care about mods. Very good people.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts