Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy who make door step plate/sill for the Altima and I asked him whether he can make some for us Mazda3 owner and her said it's possible. I'll get him the measurements and be a guinea pig and let you guys know about the progress. He used to charge $70 for a set of 4 and you can customize the letters...

Here's some pic of my old car:

This is his link: http://www.dintek.on.ca/altima/sidesills/

·
Registered
28 Posts
those are pretty cool (though useless). what are they made of and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stainless steel, $70 a set of 4. It's more cosmetic than actual use...

·
Registered
28 Posts
PhilGood said:
Stainless steel, $70 a set of 4. It's more cosmetic than actual use...
well, unless you make it so it comes off easily. than you could use it as a weapon as you are being attacked stepping into your car. :wink:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
id be interested philgood, but does he ship to the US? haha

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, he'll ship to US. I'll keep you guys update and do the measurement see if there is clearance issue (gap between the door panel and the sill).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure how it would go on the 3's door sill with the big ridges, won't it sit on top and look wierd??
That's actually one of my concern and I'll talk to the guy to see if he can prototype one piece to see if it works out.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
philgood, please do take pictures from all angles, up close and all that when the prototype is made to see if it's a good fit. Also, how do those attach? How snug are they? Are they gonna get all messed up if someone steps on one getting in or kicks it, cuz if they just fall off easily that'd suck.

Also, if you get custom text on it, would it up the price from $70 for the set of 4? For that price I'd make the drive up to BC from Seattle to pick them up in person... like I'd need an excuse for a daytrip in my 3 :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's mounted with double side tape but the one came with the sill is not strong enough and I use 3M double side tape for my Altima; it didn't snug at all. The guy didn't charge me extra for custom letters and I think you can talk to him directly after the prototype is done.

The guy who'll do this is in Toronto and he'll ship to anywhere...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys, after some email and measurement exchanges; it'll be too expensive to made the sill with angles instead of rectangular shape... A rectangular sill cannot cover the ridges at the edge and it doesn't look good...

"The angles of the sills is creating an issue with the etcher. He wants quite a lot more for these sills to make than he did with the altimas sills." This is the reply from the guy and I don't think it justify for an additional $50 ($70 + $50 = $120)...

Have to wait for OE one...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts