Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...why are the Xenon headlights so great?

I've never been in a car with Xenon's, so I have no reference point to the "normal" headlights that I've been used to all my life. Are they really that much different than the halogens that come stock on the 3's? I think my lights are plenty bright...then again, it's not something I've ever been very picky about. How much brighter can they be without being an annoyance to oncoming drivers? Or does it have to do more with the color wash (whiter?) than the brightness?

I'd like to read some comments from people who swear by them, and why. Thanks.

:D

JT

· Registered
2,160 Posts
I was onb the fence as to whether or not to get them, I got them and I'm glad I did. They light up WAY better than ordinary headlights, you can see much better. I will never own another car without HIDs.

· Registered
165 Posts
My thoughts on HIDs are, they are great if you are the driver, but horrible driving against traffic with HIDs. I find them very blinding, but they are here to stay, so oh well. They definitly light up the road better than halogens though. I probably would have got them if they were an option in Canada. I am happy with the stock halogens though.

· Registered
2,160 Posts
HIDs are less annoying to oncoming traffic than halogens as long as they are aimed correctly.

Driving on city streets I keep mine aimed one notch up from the lowest setting, if driving on the freeway I move them up a couple settings.

· Registered
165 Posts
HIDs are less annoying to oncoming traffic than halogens as long as they are aimed correctly.
I think it's got to vary from person to person then. When I drive into oncomming traffic, I find every halogen more bearable than any HIDs. So either every single car with HIDs here has them aimed wrong, or it's just me. I actually have to look away from the car, or lose my night vision. And even during the day they are bright enough to bother me. Still wish I had them though.

· Registered
2,160 Posts
TriggaHappy said:
Good looking, but not worth the price mazda has the option for imo.
I wasn't sure if it was worth it myself, I ended up getting it anyways, the first time I drove it at night I knew I made the right decision.

I STRONGLY suggest that anyone who is unsure whether or not they need HIDs go out and do a test drive at night to see them in action.

· Registered
137 Posts
I think Xenon spreads out a lot further than halogen so you have a greater visual distance. Plus, Xenons are usually only on expensive cars so it's a head turner when you're driving at night.

· Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
raitchison said:
TriggaHappy said:
I STRONGLY suggest that anyone who is unsure whether or not they need HIDs go out and do a test drive at night to see them in action.
Gonna have to give that a try just to satisfy my curiosity, even though it's too late for me to get them. One thing I wasn't aware until I looked through my manual recently was that they are angle-adjustable from inside the car. Now THAT would have been a cool feature to have. Oh well.

JT

· Registered
88 Posts
true that HIDs do light up the road more, but honestly, cuz I live in Toronto, there aren't too many streets that aren't lit up anyways, in fact the only reason why I would want HIDs (maybe a mod someday?) would be for the looks, not so much functionality. I've tried driving around at night without lights (by accident), I didn't even realize it till I was half way home.. =P

If HIDs were given as an option in Canada, I would take them, otherwise, I'd just get white blubs instead. You'd get the look, and a faction of the price... that's just my 2 cents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.