Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is my perception on some points, but I'm not sure.

Some days my car feels less powerful than others, in fact I find myself wondering sometimes how on earth a 2.3 engine in a car of this size can feel so slow. Other days it surprises me at how well it seems to be pulling through the gears.

The gearbox is another thing; I don't know what the determining factor is here but sometimes it feels great, other times feels really rough and cheap. Strangely it doesn't seem to be always a case of the gearbox oil being cold causing the rough feeling.

The third one which is strange to me, is that if I drive my car after it's sat overnight, it feels fine. If I make a trip, leave it for 90 minutes then drive it again, I feel a vibration through the pedals when changing gear.

Much less important but still annoying, I'm starting to get some interior rattles which come and go.

These few things have been bugging me a bit, because some days I'll feel a lot less pleased with the car than others as a result. I can't say I've ever been aware of this with any previous cars either.

Temperature can explain some of them to some extent, but I would be surprised if it could make such a noticable difference.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has noticed (or thinks they have noticed) things like this?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
yea, i actually feel more and less power from day to day and then sometimes it feels crazy fast. i finally figured out that it has a lot to do with the temperature because i have a cai. on colder days it takes even more advantage of the cai so the air is freezing going in to the car. as far as all of the other stuff, i can't really help out with those.

·
Registered
704 Posts
no. not consistent. somedays feels very satisfying nice throttle resopnse zips through the gears other time . blah sluggish. been trying to figure it out since new almost 2 years. It does seem very sensitive to gas. when it gets slow if I put in a full tank of 87 topped off with 3 or so gallsons 93 and a bottle of the heet iso drygas. it likes that. especially in the winter now. I notice the change in exhaust note immediately. The other fairly consistent thing I have noticed is that after sitting the night. It can be sluggish in the morning ride then at lunch and way home. nice zoomy powerful. My car is always maintained oil changed at 3k every 3 months. In the spring I am going to clean the maf and temp sensors and spark plugs just to make sure its 100%. but on the positive side it hasnt had a CEL at all, and it always gets me to work just not as satisfying at times. I havent noticed a tsb for symtoms like this. I thought it was my ms exhaust at first. I did put back the stock air filter and that did help make it run a little for consistent. I was thinking maybe its losing fuel pressure as it sits all night. then when first fires goes into that sluggish mode then later after fuel is pressured..better I dont know.
could be just needs a reflash or a sensor reading off a bit. The other thing I want to try is the grounding other than bringing it in to the dealer.

John S>

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
my car varies from day to day......but for the most part it makes me happy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i think all cars have their good days and bad days...my maxima one day will feel smoooth and powerful and other days it'll feel rough and sluggish. i guess it's due to the weather because i notice it's more smooth and powerful when it's sort of cold and raining outside haha

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It is more than likely a combination of the weather and the VTCS. If you look at the link to the calculator I posted earlier, you will see that temperature, dew point, altittude, and pressure all have major effects on your power output (and thus how your car feels). Start monitoring when it feels good and when it doesn't and use the calculator to compare. I bet you will see a correlation...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
No, but then again I have advanced the timing and I'm experimenting with different octanes, so that might warrant some of it. Plus one day it's high 80s, next day it's mid-50s in terms of weather.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i think it's pretty consistent with me. obv it's sluggish when it starts cold, but when it's all warmed up... zoom zoom :p

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
For a while I though the car drove a lot better a night when I was driving home from work than in the morning driving to work. Then I realized that in the mornings I drove my wife to the trans center so she could metro in, and that she took a bus back home. This is the first 4 cylinder I've owned (and my last vehicle was an F150), so I wasn't used to the weight of one person making a noticeable difference. Now I've even started to notice a difference when my gas tank is on empty vs. totally full.

Not saying that's your issue at all, just that there are a lot of factors that play into how the car "feels."

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I notice the power differance also with the 2.3 in my 6. The same with my Sunfire. When it's cold the Sunfire also notice a loss in power.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote author=bearda link=topic=70241.msg1238410#msg1238410 date=1172669013]
For a while I though the car drove a lot better a night when I was driving home from work than in the morning driving to work. Then I realized that in the mornings I drove my wife to the trans center so she could metro in, and that she took a bus back home. This is the first 4 cylinder I've owned (and my last vehicle was an F150), so I wasn't used to the weight of one person making a noticeable difference. Now I've even started to notice a difference when my gas tank is on empty vs. totally full.

Not saying that's your issue at all, just that there are a lot of factors that play into how the car "feels."
[/quote]

Yes is it definitely odd that one person can make such a difference but I can also tell. And when you have 5 people :shock:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran some numbers through the calculator for this month, and some made-up numbers of even bigger ranges. The most I saw was maybe a 5% difference in relative horsepower (96% - 101%) and that was at the extremes of the temperature and humidity numbers I've recorded this month.

This is much less scientific, but I haven't noticed much if any correlation between the temperature and the performance. Some days I'll be surprised at how hard it's pulling through the gears despite it being in the 80's, other days I'll be surprised that it feels so slow even though it's 30 degrees cooler.

The main reason I asked, is that this is the only car I've ever owned which I've noticed this happen in, but it's also the first car I've owned in FL where the temp & humidity can get pretty high.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
See I have noticed a fairly decent correlation between weather and performance (remember pressure makes a difference too). The only reason I notice is because I am a meteorologist so I know what all those values are everyday. The other thing is that a 5% swing is 7 HP on a stock car, which is just enough for you to not feel the umpf you are looking for. Plus, it depends on when you get on the car. If you get on it at low RPMs you will feels the pull because of the torque, but if you get on it a little late you might not feel the pull even though you are accelerating the same as you would if you started from a stop. I dunno though. Ever since I got my exhaust and advanced the timing I haven't had any issues with power. It is always there when I need or want it. But then again, it has been winter ever since I did do that so we will see how it goes in the summer...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine totally feels inconsistent day to day, especially the rattles which disappear when I get near the dealer. The only real consistent thing about it is the bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
391 Posts
NOO! One day she feels like she can kill anything, and the next day it feels like im towing a 5000lb trailer!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts