Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked my Mazda dealer about the following problem but he cannot help.

I have ordered my car with the standard MP3 player as I don't want 100 CD's in my car but create one or two CD's full of music. (When I say standard player, I mean the player sold from the dealer that nicely fits the car using a panel which the dealer also sells)

The WMA (Windows Media) format takes up less space on a CD so you can have more music on each.

But my question is: Does the standard MP3 player, play other formats than MP3? For example WMA.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I thought all MP3 players play WMA I believe you are wrong. All Mp3 car players I"ve seen so far do so. Actually the Mazda one does. I think I read that somewhere.

M

·
0 Posts
Do we have any confirmation on this???

WMA is a completely different format, and will only play on mp3 players if specified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the early days of MP3 most players only played this format. But more and more portable mp3 players can play WMA as well, maybe because manufactures have realized that it's a good idea. But it is not certain that the mazda mp3 player does and that is why I asked the question.
Anyway I live in Denmark and due to taxes, tax on tax, and VAT my new car (1.6 touring) will cost me approx USD 41.000 on the street. So who cares if I had to pay 19 USdollars to buy some professional software that can create mp3 instead of WMA which is included with free media player.

Still I hope that VraiDiouf is right.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ok, I don't personally own the MP3 deck, but having owned a Pioneer MP3 deck before, there has always been a distinction in car decks between those decks that can play MP3 and WMA and those that only play MP3. If you want an example of this go to crutchfield.com (only for the purposes of demonstration) and look at their decks. Some say MP3, and some say MP3/WMA. If the MP3 deck's instructions don't specifically say WMA is ok, I rather doubt it will work. Just my thoughts on the matter, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll be happy to learn that the MP3 decks play WMA.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I agree with SBTanMan, I had a Sony MP70 head unit in my old car that supported MP3, but not WMA. The head unit wasn't one of Sony's cheap models either, cost me roughly $660CDN (US MSRP was like $499?).

If it doesn't specifically say WMA, I'd assume it doesn't support it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Speculating is much more fun!!!

I say that the optional MP3 player *CAN* plan WMA files, but only if you use TDK 48X CD-R media marked with green felt-tip pen, burned with a Plextor drive built after Oct/03 that has a serial number ending XB1C, flashed with the Lite-On firmware hack to burn at 52x using 6.0.1beta version of Ahead Nero with debugging functions turned on and set to overburn by 50MB.

For a WMA file to be playable, it must have a 8+3 DOS file name, a pre-Y2K creation date, with the 128th and 129th byte of the file replaced with 0xF4D3, and a file size that is divisible by 7.

Oh and the WMA can only be the first and last file on the disk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lovely

Haha. Oh great, the exact answer we were looking for. Are you sure that the disc doesn't also need to have a black flet mark just before the first track on the disc.

Ok ok, I do realize that the formats wma and mp3 are not actually different formats, although MS would like to have you think so. Have you ever tried simply renaming the extension? But the real question is, does the player in the car choke on the .wma extension?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: Lovely

scottbmunro said:
Haha. Oh great, the exact answer we were looking for. Are you sure that the disc doesn't also need to have a black flet mark just before the first track on the disc.

Ok ok, I do realize that the formats wma and mp3 are not actually different formats, although MS would like to have you think so. Have you ever tried simply renaming the extension? But the real question is, does the player in the car choke on the .wma extension?
you're mistaken, WMA and MP3 is totally different. I'm pretty sure that you can add security role to WMA files and prevent people from converting WMA files to WAV file and burn it onto the cd.

AND of course you can burn a bunch of WMA files onto the CD if you don't convert the format. What I was trying to say is that converting WMA to wav file is sometime not possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems like I'm the first M3 owner ever to get the "default" MP3 player installed. When I get it, I promise to test it and write a good manual about my findings. 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the MP3 player in my M3, but I never rip anything in .wma files - I always do .mp3. Unfortuantely I cannot test WMA capability since my car has been at the dealership since Thursday 2/19, and I haven't seen it since, nor will I see it until at least Wednesday 3/3. I'm having the problem with the airbag sensor like so many other M3 owners, and the part's been on backorder, and the dealership won't let me drive the car while the sensor's bad because they claim that if I get into an accident that airbags might not deploy. They did give me a Mazda6i to drive free-of-charge in the mean time, so I can't complain too much.

But, back on-topic...

I perused the owner's manual that came with the MP3 player (I think I threw it out because it really didn't say anything I didn't already know), but if I remember correctly, the MP3 player will NOT play WMA files. I'm not 100% certain, but that's what I seem to recall. FYI - The MP3 player from Mazda is actually made by Pioneer. Also, the display in the top center of the dash will read-out track name, artist name, album name, etc. However, it does not automatically scroll if the title is longer than the what the display can accomodate.

Greg

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know this is a very old topic but I could not find the resolution to this question. Has anyone tried to play Variable Bit-Rate WMA format audio on the Mazda (Pioneer) MP3/CD player?

Does anyone know where the actual specs for this player can be found?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Re: Lovely

[quote author=scottbmunro link=topic=2860.msg43292#msg43292 date=1077897002]Ok ok, I do realize that the formats wma and mp3 are not actually different formats, although MS would like to have you think so. Have you ever tried simply renaming the extension? But the real question is, does the player in the car choke on the .wma extension?
[/quote]

If you rename an MP3 as a WMA or vice versa, many media players will recognize the format inside and play it despite the wrong name. That doesn't mean the formats have anything in common.

I had a major disk breakdown the other day, and at one point I launched a video clip file, only to discover that it contained no video, but did play a chunk out of the middle of an MP3 song. The disk had replaced one file with part of another, and the media player went ahead and played it.

(I've lost quite a few audio files for good, it looks like, along with a lot of digicam pictures.)

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's too bad - I can get WMAs encoded with Variable bit rate down to about half the file size of equivalent sounding MP3s. That's twice as much music on a disc.

I found that Rosenthal has a 6 disk changer w/MP3 capability for the '06 MZ3. I wonder if it will play WMAs... I may start a new thread on this one...

·
Registered
10 Posts
A lot of players will state if they support WMA. Some (Bose) do support WMA even though they don't explicitly say so (mainly to avoid paying licensing fees to Microsoft).

They are totally different formats. WMAs sound better then mp3s, settings being the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts