Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Streetunit have the Mazdaspeed CAI for $357. I can't find the CAI anywhere else that is in stock. Where did you get your Mazdaspeed CAI and for how much?

BTW, does anyone know if I install the CAI myself, will I be good on the factory warranty or will the dealership ask for documents saying that an "authorized Mazda mechanic" installed it? My local dealership quoted me $220 to install the CAI. I'd rather do it myself, but I want to keep my warranty intact.

·
Registered
429 Posts
IMO Mazdaspeed CAI is the worst intake you would buy. Dont worry about warranty if your dealer is that much of a d*ck you can pull it off for those infrequent dealer visits. Get the CPE if you wana a great CAI, or if you frequent the dealer and an intake it an issue get a sri theyre all really good. But i've hear way more negative than positive about folks experiences with the Mazdaspeed

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is also the only CARB legal intake as far as I know right? I thought that the Mazdaspeed CAI will gain over 20+ whp from the Intake thread.

·
Registered
81 Posts
whatever you buy, dont pay someone to do it. you dont need any experience to put it in, especially a short ram.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could install it myself...I'm just worried about Mazda screwing with my warranty for installing it myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check onlinemazdaparts, 319 for the CAI. I picked one up yesterday, they only had 2 in stock. You might want to call Jason and see if he still has one.

·
Registered
596 Posts
don't listen to people who tell you that the intake is crap, for every one person who will post a bad experience or that they "heard" there are like 10 people who post on the thread saying that theirs works great, mine included...on both my speed3's now. Also, no they cannot void your warranty if you install it yourself, thats what they told me when I called 3 dealerships back when I was buying it.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I have a MS3 intake and the very reason I wanted a MS3 intake (beyond performance ofcourse) was the fact that if my car had a problem and I took it to the dealer, they won't cry and void my warranty.

sure enough, a cel fired...took it to the dealer, no questions asked.

Get a COBB or a CP-E or any other aftermarket intake and go to a dealer for a cell.
they will saY "your intake is causing it"

Now if you have the energy and time to replace out the intakes with stock airbox etc. then go for it.

Otherwise, get a MS3 and end of story.
It is true though, that to clean the filter on a MS3 intake is a pita, I am about to switch it to SRI mode so, its easier to remove and clean.

[quote author=ChitownMS3 link=topic=140407.msg3031917#msg3031917 date=1238608605]
don't listen to people who tell you that the intake is crap, for every one person who will post a bad experience or that they "heard" there are like 10 people who post on the thread saying that theirs works great, mine included...on both my speed3's now. Also, no they cannot void your warranty if you install it yourself, thats what they told me when I called 3 dealerships back when I was buying it.
[/quote]

it does not matter who doe the install. The warranty is on the part itself and the fact that it should not cause any cel's to fire etc. its a "legit" mazda approved setup.

·
Registered
427 Posts
im not sure if you got one or not, but if you search on E-bay you can find one sold by mazdaspartsguy. He has it for $299 shipped. I had a paypal coupon code at the time so i used it and i bought it for $254 shipped but this guy is also a dealer so if you have any mazda gift cards like me they will accept it. I ended up getting it for $154 shipped to my house, not a bad deal if you ask me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't get it from streetunit. I asked them if they pricematch the one of the dealer's prices and they said no. I got mines from onlinemazdaparts for 320, shipping was not free but only like 5 bucks. What you should do is ask if your dealer does price matching. Thats the mistake I made. I later found out that my dealer could have beat the onlinemazdapsrts.com's $320 price.

You should just install it yourself and save your money if you know what you are doing, unless you have money to burn. Personally, i'd rather spend that money on something else. Just read up on the how to's. The directions that come with the intake suck balls. The airdeflector is hard to remove without taking off the front bumper. I was to paranoid to take off the bumper so it took me longer to install.

Also you will have to play around for a bit to get everything to fit right. Thats my main gripe with this intake. Took me 3 times to finally get it right but thats because I didn't take my time to get it perfect the first time.

BUT, I still enjoy my intake and like the fact that I won't get questioned about any issues that may arise. I had the same questions you did about the intake and had the same people tell me to just get the CPE. I'm glad I stuck with the mazdaspeed. Yes its more difficult to get everything setup right but I like the piece of mind of knowing my warranty won't be questioned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tongman -
I just went trough this myself. Dont let anyone tell you that the mscai is the 'worst' intake you could buy. they are either bs'ing or trying to promote another company that they have experience with.
My mazda dealership has the mscai in stock but it was cheaper to buy it used from a forum member, which is what i did. make sure you get the new "air flow straightener" that came out for this cai last year. you can buy it separately from AEM also i think, but it is important that you use it.
the mscai is under what mazda calls a "green warranty" which means that it does not have to be installed by the dealership. look this up on the mazdausa website.

i did the install myself, but it took about 2 hrs since this was the first time i had messed around in this engine bay (even though the other forum members will tell you it 'should' take only 40 mins).
You can install it pretty easily though and you will know exactly what you have modified in the process - so it is rewarding. there are a couple of how-to's in the forums, the mscai one and the injen one. the injen one has pictures so it was helpful.

I totally agree with fengrs - the stock airdirector/airdeflector sucks balls to uninstall but a fellow forum member (subparpunk03) was kind enough to swing by and help me. I did not remove the front bumper either. pm us if you move forward with this route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PM Sent.

thanks,
Tim

[quote author=nerv81 link=topic=140407.msg3036489#msg3036489 date=1238767193]
I'm selling my Mazdaspeed CAI w/ the AEM air flow straightener. PM if you're interested
[/quote]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most likely I will be going with the Mazdaspeed CAI due to the warranty fact overall. I may have to pay a little more compared with the other CAI/SRI but its less hassle. Anyone in the Sacramento area wanna stop by to help me install?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts