Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I paid to have Apple CarPlay installed on my 2014 Mazda 6. I'm now considering going with an Android phone. I'm wondering if Android Auto comes with CarPlay (and vice versa), or whether I'd need to pay another $500+ to get it installed.

I'd assumed it was a hardware upgrade I needed, not just software, as new cars come with both, no? Or do you choose one or the other in new cars?

If anyone can shed light on this it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CarPlay and Android are entirely different things. Good luck after you downgrade.
Yep. I’m aware it’s a ‘different thing’, my question is really about the software and what is loaded when the hardware is installed.
I had to pay $500+ to get the hardware installed. Now I have the USB connector under the armrest. Im wondering whether the software for both is loaded as part of that initial cost, or if maybe there’s IP considerations; possibly part of the $500 was for CarPlay and the rest for the hardware. In which case it’d make sense if I had more to pay to get Android Auto loaded as well so either could be used.
Regardless, I’m kinda hoping to find someone who knows what they’re talking about on this. I’m not wanting to start a juvenile flame war about iOS vs Android.
I may just call the dealer.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Your 2014 MZ6 has a standard sized double DIN stereo opening. As you want to get Android Auto, I want to strongly suggest you dump the crappy factory deck, and get a good quality aftermarket deck like a Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, or Sony.

The CX-5 has the exact same radio as your MZ6, and after I installed my Kenwood DDX8905S that I picked up for $200 on eBay, the difference is absolute night and day. With the iDataLink Maestro RR, you even get full gauges, right there on your head unit!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your 2014 MZ6 has a standard sized double DIN stereo opening. As you want to get Android Auto, I want to strongly suggest you dump the crappy factory deck, and get a good quality aftermarket deck like a Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, or Sony.

The CX-5 has the exact same radio as your MZ6, and after I installed my Kenwood DDX8905S that I picked up for $200 on eBay, the difference is absolute night and day. With the iDataLink Maestro RR, you even get full gauges, right there on your head unit!

View attachment 106129
Thanks for the suggestion. I have the following atm and i think it looks great. AppleCar play is really nice on it, I imagine Android Auto would be as well. I dont have an Android phone atm though, so not sure if i plug it in, whether Android Auto will load, or whether they only installed CarPlay software.

After spending over $500 already, I'm not really keen to get a new head unit

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Oh yeah, your interior looks completely different from the 2014 American models. My suggestion wouldn't work anyway.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts