Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so do you like it? I'm considering making a career change. I have a meeting set up with the GM of a local Marriott hotel, who I have been referred to by a previous boss. Not sure if he has any jobs available but I am just going in to talk to him about the hotel/tourism industry and who knows maybe something will come of it. I have a bachelors degree and make alright money but I'm at a job I'm unhappy with and need a reason to get out. Just looking at one of those salary websites in my area for median salaries..

Guest Services Manager $35,354
Front Desk Manager $44,096
Hotel Manager Assistant $57,724.
Hotel Resident Manager $71,321

Any comments/suggestions? I'm assuming I'd have to start at the bottom in something like front desk which makes $20-$25k a year.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I don't work in the hotel industry, but my current job has close relationships with Marriott hotels. I also worked as hotel communications and security at the Four Seasons Hotel.

Marriott is a great chain of hotels and since I travel a lot, I'm always in contact with regional managers and booking travel for both myself and co-workers. One of the biggest downsides to being in the hotel industry is that most of them are all franchises. It's not a huge downside, but you'll quickly realize that hotel managers run things very differently, even though they're the same brand. Not to mention, you'll have different pay scales and promotion opportunities depending on the actual hotel you're working at.

I can't name off all the non-franchised hotels, but off the top of my head I know that the Four Seasons isn't and regardless of the Four Seasons hotel you work at, it's the same management style and procedures you'd find across the world.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=170962.msg3621891#msg3621891 date=1271580817]
im working right now at a motel 6, lulz
def. not for a living though

imo it sucks
[/quote]

That doesn't count :lol:

That's like someone working at McDonalds claiming that waiting tables at Morton's sucks :lol:

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=170962.msg3622740#msg3622740 date=1271663404]
whats mortons?
[/quote]

A nice steakhouse.

Just sayin'....

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
The only thing to keep in mind is franchise vs. non-franchise as UnderEstimated mentioned. Oh that and promotion can still take a long time. Maybe not as bad as working in something like retail, but it could possibly take you 4-6 years to become any kind of manager, even if you have a college degree. It really just depends on the size of the hotel, size of franchise and/or corporation if non-franchise, etc. If it is you and half a dozen people competing for 1 position and the other 5 have more experience than you and are all good at their jobs...don't expect to get the promotion.

So you might be stuck at 20-25k a year for years before even making it to the 40k range. Possible at least.

Not to toot my horn, but I would be horribly feedup with a situation like that, especially the extremely low income (or possibly take a couple of decades to make hotel manager and make less than I am now, though I have no clue what field you are in right now so even a basic front desk manager might earn more than you are now).

One other downside, hotel work is customer service. That means you have to put up with the douches, the assholes and the unresonable all day every day.
-Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts