Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Mazda 3 that the single cd head unit is having issues.
I have an opportunity to get an '07 6 disc changer head unit with the little lcd on top from a wrecker and was wondering:

a) would it fit properly?
b) would it function properly (ie. the cd changer, radio, steering wheel controls, etc.. and the lcd display)?

I thought I read somewhere that the wiring is a little different either with the head unit itself or the lcd that connects to it. I can't seem to find the correct info.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here is another thought.

Can the 6 disc part be removed from the hu and placed into the 04 head unit and function?
Or are the connections different etc..

Basically I would like the 6 disc with lcd in the end if possible.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=yukon link=topic=134641.msg2894807#msg2894807 date=1233109890]
a) would it fit properly?[/quote]

Yes it would fit. You can stick the HU from any year/model 3 into any other year/model 3.

b) would it function properly (ie. the cd changer, radio, steering wheel controls, etc.. and the lcd display)?
Yes and no, see below

I thought I read somewhere that the wiring is a little different either with the head unit itself or the lcd that connects to it. I can't seem to find the correct info.
The difference in wiring is this. In '04-'05 HU's the LCD is connected directly to the HU for power, etc. The HU plugs into the main harness and then the LCD pulls it's power from it's wiring running down the side of the HU. In '06 the wiring changed and there are two plugs in the main harness. One plugs into the HU (just like the old ones) and the other plugs directly into the LCD. This change was made, in part, so that the ambient temp display and ACC display could be kept even if the HU was replaced with an aftermarket one.

So the short answer is the HU will work, but the '04's wiring harness lacking a plug for the LCD means the LCD won't have anywhere to be pulling power from. The long answer is you can splice the wiring from the LCD into the main harness for power/signal so that it would be set up like the original '04 wiring. Someone's done this, I just can't think of who right now. Incidentally a '04-'05 HU will work in a '06-'08 car as it's LCD still pulls power from the HU.

[quote author=yukon link=topic=134641.msg2899298#msg2899298 date=1233278148]
Can the 6 disc part be removed from the hu and placed into the 04 head unit and function?
Or are the connections different etc.[/quote]

Yes, if nothing else you should be able to remove the changer itself from the '07 HU and replace the single disc player on the '04 HU. The single disc player still has controls for a CD changer (the load button, disc up/down, etc.) so all it lacks is the physical hardware.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you icspots, that's the kind of answer I appreciate.

Since I'm thinking of moving the HU into the glove box, I would be extending the wiring to the lcd anyway so it probably won't be going out of my way to add that little extra to draw power to the lcd.

So once the power is being pulled from the HU harness, is the connections for info to the lcd (ie, disc, radio station etc..) still connected to the HU in the same manner? Just curious. I'd like to get this all planned out before it gets here so I'm ready to go.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts