Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need to remove the plastic cover to change your oil and oil filter?

I saw a cutout in the plastic cover but it did not properly line up with anyhting. Did Mazda make this difficult or is it just me?

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
IIRC, the cutout is officially for doing quick visual inspections without having to remove the cover. Why they couldn't have relocated the hole or made it a few inches larger so it could double as access to the oil filter...? I don't know.

It's not that big of a deal to remove the cover (only 7 or 8 10mm bolts if I remember), but they do tend to get seized up pretty good if you don't remove the cover regularly, which leads to a fair bit more annoyance.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Cuz mazdas out to get us and ruin our lives with low build quality cars. Its to encourage dealer done oil changes. :lol:

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=jasno999 link=topic=71077.msg1248681#msg1248681 date=1173065637]
That is the stupidest design I have ever heard of. WHY.... Makes no sense to me.
[/quote]It's not a stupid design. The covers are there to protect the engine from road debris and also to improve the anti-lift and drag coefficients of the car. But you can always leave if off if you want

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I did not mean that the cover itself was a stupid design. I understand it is there to help protect the engine and to help with lift/drag. That was my first guess as to why they put it on the car.

What I think is stupid in terms of design is that they should have made access to the oil filter and bolt easy so that the cover would not have to be removed each time an oil change was done. Even if it was just an access panel that required a few snaps to be removed instead of having to remove 7-8 bolts... Just does not make good design sense in my mind.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Yea agree with you there.. it can be annoying to work with, but I picked up one of those mini 3V screwdrivers and it pops it off quick

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wonder if this was just one of those design decisions to keep the costs down to hit the amazing price point these cars have acheived. I would be interesting to know if that filter sized hole in the splash shield lines up with the filter on the regular 2.3 NA 3... Maybe the cost of fabricatiing a new injection molded piece would have been too expensive given the limited production numbers on this car.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It does not line up with the regular 2.3 litre engine either, but I'm not sure about the 2.0 litre.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just cut the hole on one side to expose the bottom of the filter. It doesn't make the hole very much bigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts