Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i'm wanting to buy a 07 mazda3 sometime soon. i was just wondering how you like the power? how is it getting on the fwy? this will be my first 4cyl car. i currently have a 02 maxima it's nice and all but it eats gas like a monster truck :( so i'm looking for a more economical car. i just want to know how you guys/gals like the power? hopefully i get to go test drive one soon =/

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I love the 2.3. It's got great power. I have no problem getting on the highway. It's got geat power. I don't even need to floor it. But i do becuase it sounds so good form 4000, 6000 rpms. Keep in mind that i have it in the Mazda 6 which is a heaver and bigger car. So that the 2.3 in the 3 would be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's good to hear. i was originally wanting to get the 07 vw gti 5door hatch (i love 5door hatches haha) but insurance is too high for me =/ i'm hoping to get a 5door grand touring with the 2.3 engine. i like the fact it has the hids and stuff haha i like the look of the mazda3 over the gti a bit too. i'm looking forward to the good handling i've been reading on this car :D my maxima has too much body roll and i'm getting 15-18mpg all the time :(

·
Registered
907 Posts
Driving my 2.3l HB with a total passenger weight 650 lbs yesterday. A friend of mine (driving alone) in his 96 Maxima 5 spd (100k on the odo) drops it down to 4th gear on the highway at 60... I do the same (with 650 lbs of men in the car) I drop it down to 4th and nail the throttle... beleive this... not only did I stay level with this guy...but began to pull away at 70 mph...I'm thinking the engine computer senses weight and advances the timing or something...

to answer your Question... the 2.3 motor is a classic, semi-fuel efficient motor for a 2850 lb car..a better 4 cyl motor right now, however, is the VW GTI 2.oT...this unit has a lovely torque curve...try it and feel for yourself...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya that's one reason i like the gti...their 207tq at only 1800rpm is pretty cool...so the mazda 3 is only around 2850lbs? i think the gti is a bit over 3000lb. i'm more interested in the mazda3 now cuz with all the options even with navi is still a few thousand dollars cheaper than the gti with all the options.

btw...is the ride smooth? my 02 maxima se is pretty harsh driving around the city and doesn't handle well =/ i have a lot of rattles in the car and wind noise on fwy speeds. i just want a car that handles well and still have a nice comfortable ride.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Have a 2006 3S Touring with the 2.3L. I test drove the i model and then the s model with the 2.3L and to me there was a nice difference. The salesman said to me "you don't really notice any difference between the two", but he was way off!!!! There was a difference to me and thus I chose the 2.3L. As to hwy windnoise, I notice it more noisy then other cars I have owned in the past. I guess it was a tradeoff to have a sportier looking "zoom-zoom" car than I had owned before. I chose the ATX, because I got tired of city shifting.........and I've been happy with that. Mileage may be a little less than MTX, but I was willing to make that compromise.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
You won't notice a difference between the 2.0 and 2.3.... until you wind it out and discover the 2.0 feels winded past 4500 RPM. At least, that was my experience. Highway power was disctinctly better with the 2.3.

·
Registered
782 Posts
[quote author=lowincash link=topic=68469.msg1183176#msg1183176 date=1170443604]
hello all, i'm wanting to buy a 07 mazda3 sometime soon. i was just wondering how you like the power? how is it getting on the fwy? this will be my first 4cyl car. i currently have a 02 maxima it's nice and all but it eats gas like a monster truck :( so i'm looking for a more economical car. i just want to know how you guys/gals like the power? hopefully i get to go test drive one soon =/
[/quote]

If you're used to only driving V6 cars, you're going to be disappointed at first with the lack of torque in a 4 cyl. Several of my cousins drive Maximas, and I came from an Acura V6 myself, and you definitely have to modify your driving habits if you switch to a Mazda3. Whereas in a V6, you can get a strong surge of power even at low rpms, you will need to give the car a lot more gas and let the rpms climb to get into the power range of the 4cyl. This difference is exacerbated even more if you choose to go w/ an ATX.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving my 3. Driving a V6 is kind of like "point and go"--I don't really have to do anything--whereas I feel like I really have to drive the Mazda to make it perform. I'm also happy with not having to use premium gas, although the gas mileage has not improved as dramatically as I had hoped. I've gotten 26 mpg on the last two tanks, while I used to avg. 25 mpg with my previous CL-S driving the same commute, although this is more a testament of the efficiency of Honda's V6 engines.

Make sure you take some good test drives with a salesperson who will let you wring out the car (instead of just going around the block). Then you can make your own decisions. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went from a GTI with the VR6 motor (modded) to my Mazda3 MTX 5 door with the 2.3L. Granted, the VR6 is a different kind of 6 cylinder motor than what you had in your Maxima, but I was pleasantly surprised by the power and torque from the 2.3, which really kicks in somewhere around 3500 RPM (I assume aided by the variable valve timing).

You will lose the low-end grunt you had in the V6. 1st gear in my VR6 was practically never used since the car pulled away just fine from a stop in 2nd. Not so with the 2.3L. But IMO this is one of the nicest 4 bangers out there, and mated go a great handling suspension setup - even bone stock.

Bottom line - drive the car, decide after.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
has anyone driven an altima before? i drove my cousin's 99 altima a while back and it was a 4cyl and i was kinda surprise how well it drove around town. like from a stop it took off pretty well but it's getting on the fwy is when it seem like it was struggling. i was searching and that altima has around 150hp and about 156tq or something like that. pretty similar numbers to the mazda3...if so then it's not too bad. hopefully i can go test drive one tomorrow. my maxima has a 3.5L engine and low end is pretty good but it kinda feels like the car is very heavy at times =/ oh well i'll sacrafice the extra power for better gas mileage plus better handling car.

btw for those that have the 07 grand touring...do you have a flip key? i saw it somewhere but can't find it =/

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think the flip key is only available for Canadians, or maybe the Mazdaspeed 3 has it as well. But it's not available for regular MZ3 owners, even in the GT trim. Last I heard, the US 2007 cars can't even have a flip key cut afterwards; something about the flip key remote not being compatible with the new remote unlock system on the 2007 cars.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ic...i think i saw it on cardomain or something it looked pretty cool haha...is the ride smooth? i have the maxima se and when i hit a pothole it'll sound like the cars gonna fall apart o_O

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
[quote author=MetalCord link=topic=68469.msg1184155#msg1184155 date=1170474264]
You won't notice a difference between the 2.0 and 2.3.... until you wind it out and discover the 2.0 feels winded past 4500 RPM. At least, that was my experience. Highway power was disctinctly better with the 2.3.
[/quote]
I disagree with you on that. I had the 2.0 in my 3. My 6 has the 2.3 . I noticed a increase in power right away with the 6. Even though it's a bigger car it's got more power then the 2.0.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Trust me, the 2.3L has plenty of power, even if it's mated to an ATX.

One thing I don't like about the Mazda3 is that it's so noisy compared to other cars. I like to have a quite ride, but when road noise and highway wind noise is being trasmitted into the cabin, it gets on your nerves.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I love my 2.3, mated to my 5 speed. I'm uuber. I have a 2.3 mated to a 5 speed. MATED! I tells ya!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i just went to test drive one...i'm pretty surprise...it's got pretty good low end torque. car feels lighter compared to my maxima. the guy didn't let me take it to the fwy tho =/ but the car is nice...the seats are pretty comfortable too. if only i can make the seat a bit higher that would be perfect...test drove the 07s grand touring model in that dark gray color with all the goodies...sunroof is so small tho lol but ya now i'm seriously considering getting this car :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Do it! I have the equivelant '06 with a standard transmission. Easiest clutch ever!
I have not regretted the 7 perfectly trouble free months so far whatsoever.

·
Registered
290 Posts
[quote author=lowincash link=topic=68469.msg1185129#msg1185129 date=1170544715]if only i can make the seat a bit higher that would be perfect[/quote]

Didn't the salesman show you the lever that raises and lowers the driver's seat? My only issue with the driving position: the steering wheel is a bit too high, even at its lowest adjustment. But if it were lower, it would obscure too much of the tach and speedo. [sigh]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nah the guy didn't show me...you're right the steering wheel is kinda high haha and the review mirror is small...it was the one with the compass and homelink on it...haven't checked one with regular mirror on it tho.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
we need higher end torque//hp.
taking off in 2nd at around 5000rpm, i could use more *umfp*

other than that i have no complaints really.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts