Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a set of LED fogs on eBay and if they dont produce alot of heat I will get a set of rock blockers for them while I am at it... I just DONT wanna melt the rock blockers :)

Its like $30 for (2) LED H11 bulbs...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ he is a local store for me, he also has a website v-leds.com i think but his site crashed and he is in the process of updating again, so not all items are currently listed on his site...

i have yellow fogs now and if I buy them I would install as is and if I like the yellow better I would get a set of yellow rock blockers....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=krstofer link=topic=66102.msg1133501#msg1133501 date=1167953784]
I would like some of those BUlbs, but I don' tlike ordering through ebay.
[/quote]

go to his website and email him, and ask him for the bulbs you are looking for.. I have some reverse bulbs from him and they are FREAKING bright!!! I want the amber rear turn singles but the ones he offerers have a amber housing and I would rather have a clear housing...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, they do get hot if wrong resistors are used. And no, they don't get hot if right resistors are used.

·
Registered
131 Posts
nope!!!.... they dont get as hot to burn themself.... or sorry but i have not seen that "my led died cuz it got hot" :S....

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
LEDs will not get hot enough to do any damage to anything. Lumen per lumen, they are MUCH cooler than filament bulbs. Any pure LED setup will probably be about room temperature as far as any human could tell. When the heat would be generated is if they build the resistors into the LED housing itself to act as a load (for turn signals to avoid the ultra fast blink letting us know a bulb is out).

Very neat idea... I tried to get white LEDs for the reverse lights but in the sedan the bulb is placed at an angle so the directional light pointed neither directly out nor directly on the reflector so I ended up with a pale white glow when in reverse. Definitely not safe - so out they came. Maybe that 180* bulb would do the job.... anyone with a sedan successfully use LEDs in the reverse lights?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
That is not entirely correct. While it is true that since LEDs are solid state or silicon based, so their "filaments" do not generate much heat, high powered LEDs do generate alot of heat.

Luxeon emittors, which are the LEDs used by most all high quality maufacturers (and almost all OEM tailights), have metal heat sinks to dissipate the heat generated by their circuitry.

Krstopher - the LED tail light bulbs you have use luxeon emittors, and that beefy metal jacket surrounding the LED is the heatsink:

I doubt those LEDs put out enough lumens for them to be effective as driving/fog lights, they would be for looks only. For LEDs to output enough light, there would have to be alot of them mounted inside the fog light housing, and once they are all wired together would probably use more power than a concentional bulb - at least for now. Advancement in silicon transistor technology will eventually make high lumen/low power leds, and it may be soon.

LEDs just cant compete with HIDs at their current level, once that changes it'll be a different story.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
you don't think there are any LED"s that would be useful as Fog lights? I am thinking about redoing the lighting in my car. Taking off the RB's and changing as many lights as possible to LED.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Not in a stock fogllight housing. Maybe a bunch of 5 or 10 watt luxeons in a projector housing, but I still dont think they would put out as much light as a regular bulb, and they are going to draw just as much power.

You can get them to light up and look like a fog/driving light, but to project a beam pattern strong enough to illuminate the road is a different story.

I would say if it is for looks only yes, but for functional use they are not strong enough yet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ok, a LED is a diode (hence Light Emitting Diode) the just happens to emit light when forward biased. The voltage drop across a diode when forward biased is 0.5V for LEDs that you'd find in the interior of your car to 4.0V for some super bright LEDS, so in that unit that the LED is in is a resistor that "drops" the other voltage (8 volts for a 12 volt system). Typical LEDs take only 5mA to 40mA current to turn them on so the wattage of the super bright bulbs would be 160mW (Power=Current x Voltage). You would still have the resistor in the unit dissipating a power of 8volts x 40mA = 320mW. So the total dissipation is only 480mW for the example I've given. I see that the package of the part says 1W, so that tells me that the total power for both the LED and the resistor contained in the unit is 1W. A hell of a lot cooler than the 25W bulb originally in there. Long story short, it ain't gonna get hot.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeh I would only be doing this complete for looks IMO the stock fog lights do basically NOTHING.. Now I have 6000K HIDs and Yellow fogs and when I turn my fogs on and off I see no difference from the inside of the car...

So yes I would be doing it just for looks :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
someone should buy these LED fogs and post up some pictures I want to order some but I want to see what they look like first..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts