Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to NTB to get an oil change today ($15) and they said i need new tires or they will go out soon. the tread number on them were 2 and 3 for front and 5s on the back. i have no idea what that means. but anyways, i have an 07 hatch am still running stock tires with 20600 miles on it. i would say about 15000 are highway. the guy even asked "do you plan to drive long distances soon?" and i'm like "uuuhhh yea most of my miles are highway..."

so should i be worried? i was hoping to get to 30000 then change

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Tire tread is measured in 32nds of an inch. Brand new tires are typically 10/32, legal limit is 2/32. Sounds like you need new front tires, as theyre at 2 and 3/32, but your rear tires are still fine at 5/32, which is about 50% tread left.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Sounds like you didn't rotate your tires often enough. The fronts wear out much faster (and wear differently) than the rears, so it's important to rotate them often to get the most life out of them.

As Paul said, you really only need to replace the fronts now, and can get a little more life out of the rears. Just remember to get them rotated every 5-6k miles or so (every oil change, or every other oil change is a good way to time it depending on how often you get it changed).

20k miles is a decent amount of life from the stock tires though. If you can easily afford it I would recommend replacing all 4 tires at once. Handling will be more predictable and you won't have to worry about replacing the other two tires in another few months... you'll be good to go for quite awhile.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yes, you should at least replace the front tires. Find the wear-bars b/n the tread blocks and look to see how close the top of the wear-bar is in relation to the top of the tread block. If the wear-bar and tread block are even or really close, get new tires. If you don't know what a wear-bar is try looking in the owner's manual as it may have that info. OR click here http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_XC90/04xc90_08.htm

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well i guess for safety its time to get new tires. i will get them in the next coming month...only problem is i am making a 250mile trip back to school tmr. eeek

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
This thread appeals to me. I kinda failed to rotate my stock RSA's and after I lowered it, I switched the fronts and rears. The ones in the back are just about dead. I'm at 19,000 miles and would much rather replace all 4. I can get my mom to shell out about $400 + my $120, so I was wondering what kind I should get. I would much rather have a higher performing and slightly wider 215. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
235 Posts
if thats all you got go on ebay and get some nankang ns1's they arent good but theyre not horrible but they have great dry traction and good hook on launches

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm thinking about also getting new Tires for my '06 Hatch, the RSA's are trashed even only ave 14000+ miles (Yes, my 06 only has 14000+ miles). They are suffering major hydroplaning, an absolutly no traction in snow . . . crappiest "A/S" 3 season tires i have ever seen. And this is still with more than 50% treadlife, i'm just getting new tires to get these things out of my life. They are rated HORRIBLY on Tirerack and i can see why.

Anyway, my question is i'm planning on getting Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's. Does anyone have any experience with these or know how good they are. They are ranked 1st in their class. Def. looking for some nice summers and when the winter roles around again get some winters since i've come to realize that the Mazda3 is just to light to have any A/S tire work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
[quote author=Mazda3 of NH link=topic=136262.msg2938728#msg2938728 date=1234736878]
I'm thinking about also getting new Tires for my '06 Hatch, the RSA's are trashed even only ave 14000+ miles (Yes, my 06 only has 14000+ miles). They are suffering major hydroplaning, an absolutly no traction in snow . . . crappiest "A/S" 3 season tires i have ever seen. And this is still with more than 50% treadlife, i'm just getting new tires to get these things out of my life. They are rated HORRIBLY on Tirerack and i can see why.

Anyway, my question is i'm planning on getting Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's. Does anyone have any experience with these or know how good they are. They are ranked 1st in their class. Def. looking for some nice summers and when the winter roles around again get some winters since i've come to realize that the Mazda3 is just to light to have any A/S tire work.
[/quote]

If your getting winter tires too hell get the new eagle gt's they look bad ass and they are awesome in the corners

·
Registered
179 Posts
[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=136262.msg2938741#msg2938741 date=1234737789]
[quote author=Mazda3 of NH link=topic=136262.msg2938728#msg2938728 date=1234736878]

[/quote]

If your getting winter tires too hell get the new eagle gt's they look bad ass and they are awesome in the corners
[/quote]

Aren't the Eagle GT's an A/S tire, i looking for a nice set of summers and when the winter comes around get some crazy winter tires or studded tires. I'm from NH so the winters tend to get pretty intense, i think i'll need something a little more than an A/S tire. I'm more interested in Performance Summer tires right now though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts