Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Performance Mods Include:

Mazdaspeed Intake
Forge BPV
Corksport Downpipe
Corksport Racepipe
Mazdaspeed CatBack
PG Fuel Pump Internals

I have a Dashhawk, and a Boost Guage to monitor the motor and at WOT MY AFRS are in the 10s usually. I just want to make sure I don't grenade the motor and be as safe as possible.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
10s = super safe, overly rich in fact. A tune could get you a bit more power by leaning out your AFR into the 11s, but that would technically be less safe than not tuning.

·
Registered
605 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=135356.msg2913309#msg2913309 date=1233804027]
10s = super safe, overly rich in fact. A tune could get you a bit more power by leaning out your AFR into the 11s, but that would technically be less safe than not tuning.
[/quote]

+1,

The only good thing about the stock ecu is it protects the motor. A tune would allow for more power and remove some of the restriction of the stock map. You have upgraded fp internals, which is a must w/ a dp, so there should not be a problem. :)

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
the thing that makes me nervous about the stock ECU is that for several hundred rpms after you get full boost, it has a lean spot where it's still running AFRs in the 13s. this is why i, personally, would consider getting a tune.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=135356.msg2914388#msg2914388 date=1233851549]
^ on a stock car? or do you have bolt-ons without an upgraded fuel pump?
[/quote]

that's on a stock ecu...with or without bolt-ons. that's just how the stock ecu works, btw...it has a lean spot right after onset of boost.

·
Registered
708 Posts
what rpm is that at. I haven't seen any lean spots with my car. Although I am tuned and stuff.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=Sanch link=topic=135356.msg2925034#msg2925034 date=1234228517]
what rpm is that at. I haven't seen any lean spots with my car. Although I am tuned and stuff.
[/quote]

if you do a 2.5k->redline WOT pull, you'll see it happen from roughly 3k-3.5k...freakin 13.x AFRs while you're boosting 15+psi...=/

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, get a tune, other wise enjoy killing your engine very slowly.

To all others (not specially to some of the comments posted in this thread, but to all who may be reading) I have no idea were some of you get your numbers or amateur theories about what's needed or not....but some of the shit you read on this forum is extremely hilarious.

After a modification like an intake, BOV/BPV, DP, Manifold, etc how could you not get a tune? You honestly think your stock ECU is going to adjust or correctly read there after and not cause the car to run to lean or too rich?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
^ yes, to a point, that's exactly what people expect, because that's exactly how the stock ECU operates. It will happily add or pull fuel (i believe up to 20% either way) at any given load point, to keep AFR at its own target. Bolt-ons will work safely without a tune because the stock tune is still safe with them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Opp don't have that problem until abou 4k i boost at 10psi and then right when 4k kicks in bam. SUPER POWERS! If you race from 2500 rpm from a roll that not very smart if your trying to win. I haven't seen that lean spot though. But actually before I got tuned i did see that spot of 13s for no reason and then it hit 11s super fast. GOd i miss my car.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=Sanch link=topic=135356.msg2935108#msg2935108 date=1234558917]
Opp don't have that problem until abou 4k i boost at 10psi and then right when 4k kicks in bam. SUPER POWERS! If you race from 2500 rpm from a roll that not very smart if your trying to win. I haven't seen that lean spot though. But actually before I got tuned i did see that spot of 13s for no reason and then it hit 11s super fast. GOd i miss my car.
[/quote]

yes, your tune cleaned the lean spot up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts