Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my first Mazda3 and my first post.
I have a 2013 S Grand Touring (sedan) whose stock rims are 17x7.
I see there are older Mazda3 rims that are 17x6.5 with same offset and tire size.
Can I use these 6.5” rims as winter wheels?
The GT is about 180 lbs heavier than a non GT. Was that a reason why the GT needs to use 7” rims?
I know the 6.5 rims will fit. I wanted to ask if anyone knew any reasons why you shouldn’t.
Thank you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
IF the tire size if appropriate for the wheel a smaller wheel width .0500 should not under normal driving cause any safety concerns. As long as there are no clearance concerns. Make sure that you check for lock to lock (full rotation until stop both right and left) steering wheel. Also check for dampener clearance both front and rear axles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IF the tire size if appropriate for the wheel a smaller wheel width .0500 should not under normal driving cause any safety concerns. As long as there are no clearance concerns. Make sure that you check for lock to lock (full rotation until stop both right and left) steering wheel. Also check for dampener clearance both front and rear axles.
Thanks for the info. Mazda uses the same sized tire on the 7” rim (205/50/17) as they do on their 6.5” rim. I know fit and clearance won’t be a problem. But I wasn’t sure why they use a 7” rim only on the GT. The extra weight is the only difference I can see between GT and non-GT. Wasn’t sure if something bad would happen if I put on the 6.5” rims even though they’ll fit. Is the GT’s weight over the threshold for 6.5” rims maybe, lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On a daily driver DIY often use "MYTH" established information that gives to much credit to save weight on a wheel or tire and wheel combination for a street driven car. Maybe they spend to much time watching NASCAR ?
I am sure had this response of mine been on many other forums the responses would surly follow with unsupported data or testing claims about the wonders of saving 20-30- per axle on a street driven vehicle. The very slight difference in braking in the real world would be less then even mentionable and I seldom have ever seen none professionals doing a simple 200 foot skid pad for G force data. I will say if drag racing the 60 foot times sometime improve but the end 1/4 times generally don't. And once again I must say so there is no misunderstanding that my response and comments is on a vehicle that is considered a daily driver NOT a designated and built for track or weekend warrior cone chaser.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts