Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if the car has them or not. I've got a US spec 5dr S, so it's a loaded car... I don't see anything that specifically references the feature, however it's mentioned in the manual. Naturally, it's got an asterix, meaning it's on "some models". That's very vague, since nothing defines what models.

My car has not yet been in appropriate conditions (icy) where I can definitely determine their existance or absence. I had them on my 94 Probe GT, and I loved them; I'd love to have them on this car as well. Even the presence of a fuse doesn't necissarily mean the car has them.

It's been way too cold here in PA to determine their presence simply by feel, since everything just feels so damn cold.

So... does anyone know? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hey, another Pennsylvanian!

I'm not too sure on this one though. The only thing listed in the specs is power mirrors and side window defoggers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm up in the Lehigh Valley, about an hour north of you ;)

I know about the specs, but if you look in the manual, it's there in 2 places. One is in reference to them coming on with the defroster switch, and the other is in the interior fusebox layout. Nothing definitive either way, though... Maybe I'll just pour water on my mirrors and find out. Heh.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm up in the Lehigh Valley, about an hour north of you
Actually about half an hour... I just used Philadelphia as a land mark. I'm about 45 minutes away from Philadelphia, in Doylestown, Bucks County. (Yes, where Signs was filmed :p)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Kirk said:
I'm curious if the car has them or not. I've got a US spec 5dr S, so it's a loaded car... I don't see anything that specifically references the feature, however it's mentioned in the manual. Naturally, it's got an asterix, meaning it's on "some models". That's very vague, since nothing defines what models.

My car has not yet been in appropriate conditions (icy) where I can definitely determine their existance or absence. I had them on my 94 Probe GT, and I loved them; I'd love to have them on this car as well. Even the presence of a fuse doesn't necissarily mean the car has them.

It's been way too cold here in PA to determine their presence simply by feel, since everything just feels so damn cold.

So... does anyone know? Thanks!
nope sorry, only Canadian Mz3's get heated mirrors in North America :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slalom said:
nope sorry, only Canadian Mz3's get heated mirrors in North America :D
Can you reference anything stating this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Try pressing the rear windshield defroster button when your side-view mirrors are fogged up. If your side-view mirrors are still fogged up after around 20 seconds, then it doesn't come with one :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wonder if US owners close of the border could break on through to the other side and get these installed by a dealer up North? Or would a Canadian dealer refuse to work on a "foreign" car? Also, on Canadian Mazda 3's, where is the button located for the mirror defrost? Thnx.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
FatMorbo said:
I wonder if US owners close of the border could break on through to the other side and get these installed by a dealer up North? Or would a Canadian dealer refuse to work on a "foreign" car? Also, on Canadian Mazda 3's, where is the button located for the mirror defrost? Thnx.
Let's say you are in vacation in Canada....your 3 has a problem. Any Mazda dealer in Canada will work on the car and repair it. No problem there. A dealer won't refuse to work on it.

The mirror defrost is automatically activated when you active the rear window defrost. There's no different button.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absinthe said:
Try pressing the rear windshield defroster button when your side-view mirrors are fogged up. If your side-view mirrors are still fogged up after around 20 seconds, then it doesn't come with one :)
Well yeah, that's common sense :p However, there's no fog in PA at this time of year; just lots and lots of cold weather, snow, ice, etc. I've only had the car 2 weeks, though, and haven't had it in ice yet. That's the reason I asked.

I did see on the Canada site that the mirror defrosters are specifically stated; they're not on the US site. Hmmm...

Usually, a car is wired to have something, even if it doesn't actually have it. For example: any Miata can use a hardtop, and they were all wired for them, even if they didn't come with one. All an owner had to do was install the switch, a fuse, and a relay, and you're good to go. I wonder if this might not be the same deal...? I have not yet looked in the interior fuse box to see if there's a sideview mirror defroster fuse in there, as the manual indicates.

I'm also going to take my car in and try to get the driver's side mirror replaced, since it's distorted, and it drives me nuts. I could check then, too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If the car's prewired and just requires a little hardware swtiching, or maybe just the addition of the heater unit and installation, it'd be a handy little upgrade to have. Let us know what you find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts