Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if you use litres. E.g. 2.3L engine in the states? I'm pretty sure you do. You usually measure everything gallons. Why do you have to make up your own damn system. I'm taking first year engineering in Canada and I have to learn American units that I've never heard of anyone using "slugs as a mass which is about 16x a kg."

I'm too lazy to look up what the two systems are called

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yeah they use L. The Imperial system is too complicated. The Metric is logic (and good for engineering students! :) ).

·
Registered
984 Posts
Why do we say a gallon of milk and a 2 liter of coke?

I guess we can't make up our minds.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most Canadians use lbs. not kg's. Seems we can't make up our mind either....Then again. Canada is just. quoting to the simpsons... "Why would we leave America to go to America Jr."

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
lol, back in the 70's there was supposed to be a 10 year changeover to the metric system nationally... it never got completed. Either it ran out of funding (or funding was cut) and/or people started losing interest/became militant about the change...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to mention one of the multi million or billion dollar Mars landers crashed and burned due to unit mix ups....

Do any other countries use imperial?
If ONLY Americans use imperial that is truly pathetic...Give up you guys are already independent...Converge with the world for once please? lol

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
lol, back in the 70's there was supposed to be a 10 year changeover to the metric system nationally... it never got completed. Either it ran out of funding (or funding was cut) and/or people started losing interest/became militant about the change...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was probably a ploy to keep NASA calculations coded from Russians during the race to the moon. Or maybe the 70's was after the race? whatever lol

rpc180 said:
losing interest/became militant about the change...
Militant about the change? yup sounds like Our big brother neighbours to the south.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Personally, I think the English measurements are crazy. I use metric so much more now, after taking science classes. During tests, I always cringed when I was given feet or pounds. I immediately changed them into metric, and let out a big sigh of relief.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
too complicated for ya ATL? This is just basic ish. Like you know there are sometimes "m" or a "ft" after numbers? lol. Anyways Star Trek stuff is weird

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
rpc180 said:
There was a massive backlash against it. People don't like change. American's also like being different from the rest of the world.

Personally, I have no interest in changing over. The English system may not be perfect logic, but it works - and I'm used to it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yo what do you mean by english system? Canadians and UK people aren't english? If anything Canadians are English (commonwealth) and Americans have the American system

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry that's not what I meant. I was kinda loaded when I said that. anyways I just read in an old coles notes..they have "metric" and "english" systems...nevermind drop the subject before people take offence to units.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To the point of the original question, we used to measure engines in cubic inches. My '69 Mustang Mach I had a 351 cubic inch engine, for example. I also had a 302 engine (different Mustang) that I remember was 5 liters.

At some point, when engines got smaller and Japanese cars started to increase their market share, we started talking in terms of liters.

Still, for a muscle car you just love hearing those 454 or 429 engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts