Mazda3 Forums banner

So, what do you think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was messing around with shift knob ideas and thought I remembered some F1 cars had more of a lever than a knob.
I was looking at aftermarket knobs while shopping for something else at pepboys and saw this aluminum handle for e-brakes and decided to take it home and try to modify it to work for a shift knob since it only costed 12 or 15 bucks.

The inner diameter is 7/8" to fit over an existing brake handle (not made for a shift knob shaft).
I found some 7/8" dowel and made in insert with a hole that fits the shaft for the stock knob.
I also covered the ugly chrome collar (with the set screws that are supposed to tighten over the e-brake) with some 1-1/2" heat shrink tubing (had some around) and also used the tubing cover a portion of the handle (like a molded grip). It molded itself to the handle quite well (it has finger grooves in the front), although it took 5-6 tries to get it to shink on straight.
I put a rubber grommet over the non-functional button and re-inserted it before the dowel, so it doesn't stick up as much or rattle.

So do you like it? Hate it?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
reminds me of this

[quote author=ST_RIOT link=topic=88098.msg1687898#msg1687898 date=1188894862]
I mentioned before that I like aircraft, and I installed little turbine things next to my foglights to take a jab at the aviation theme. Those are still on my car, although theyve broken twice each, and have since been enhanced, which I will detail later. I now have added some more stuff:

The stick is a Cougar Hotas joystick for flight simulators. It is a replica of the flight sticks used in F-16s, as well as other fighters. Although this has probably not been done often before, it may not be all that interesting, except that it is linked to this little monster:

And then mounted in my engine bay:

·
Registered
370 Posts
whhatt isss it?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
[quote author=XB link=topic=140340.msg3038647#msg3038647 date=1238871742]
it's actually gonna shoot pellets out of ur car?? O_O
[/quote]

LOL, yeah.

John - it looks very original, but i'm not quite set on the looks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
it needs a button in a flip up case for firing missiles. lol.
i wud like the ebrake shift knob if it weren't so bulky.
but u get points for creativity.

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
I like it, think it looks nice and the color scheme matches well enough.
looks and sounds comfortable too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts