Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share something I discovered recently for all those government employees and public service personnel. Long story short Oakley provides a discount to all government employees. To be clear these aren't knock off copies like you find on a street corner, these are genuine Oakley products. Here's the description of their program straight for their website www.usstandardissue.com

Oakley takes great pride in offering the highest quality products at a direct rate for military and government personnel. We have developed a strong program over the past 20 years and we want to ensure that the integrity of the program is held high.

Oakley understands the extreme demands and environments our government customers will encounter so Oakley has made an entire line dedicated to meet these needs.

Oakley is proud to deliver a product of superb comfort, functionality and cutting edge technology to our government customers.

How to Participate in this Exclusive Government Program
We do want to remind you that participating in this program is a privilege and there are guidelines that must be followed. Please note that as a buyer in this program, you must enter into an agreement between Oakley and you, the Buyer. Once accepted, you the Buyer shall not sell Oakley product to any individual, department, team or unit for a profit. At no time should Oakley products be sold or diverted for resale in any environment whatsoever-including but not limited to Internet, swap meets or flea markets etc. A new sales agreement will need to be submitted with the Buyers first order of every calendar year.

After completing the online registration and uploading or faxing your ID you will be sent an approval in 24 hours or less and then you may place your order. You cannot place an order until you have been approved. You will be sent an email confirming you are approved once we have reviewed your ID. Your ID approval is valid for one year for purchases.
So what does this mean for you? If you're active duty military, reserve, a government employee (including local Police, Fire, EMS) or a military/government retiree then you qualify for the program. Oakley has a special line of SI (Standard Issue) glasses available at discount. All of these frames are flat black with subdued logos and tend to cost approx. half of their retail price. The SI line does not include all available frames and lenses, but there's still a pretty comprehensive list of products to purchase, including regular and prescription sunglass, lenses, goggles, gloves, boots, backpacks, etc. I recently registered for this program (as a Paramedic) and just ordered my first set of sunglasses for less than half their retail price.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Nice!

I've been looking to get new sunglasses. But why Oakley? What can these do, that a $20 pair at Acme can't do?

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=KeepJeepin link=topic=107798.msg2207962#msg2207962 date=1207341554]
Nice!

I've been looking to get new sunglasses. But why Oakley? What can these do, that a $20 pair at Acme can't do?
[/quote]

Ummm because oakley is the company that decided to give the discount. ;)

Really though they put a lot of money into R&D and they make very good products. The frames are super light and super strong, the rubber ear socks/nose pieces actually grab more when you sweat on them, and the lenses will stop a 1/4" steel shot at 102 mph without shattering. They design the optics to give super clear vision and not to distort towards the edge or magnify like some lenses. There are testimonials on the SI website from tons of troops where oakleys saved their eyes. I ran a call once where a guy was struck in the face with a soft-ball hard enough to knock him off his feet and unconscious. The bottom of the lens cut his face, but if he'd not been wearing his Oakleys he would have lost an eye.

I'm not saying that Oakley makes the best glasses out there, but they put enough engineering into them that they really are quite good glasses. Like most people I always subscribed to the "why buy expensive glasses" frame of mind.... until I got a good pair of sunglasses. Really they make all the difference for you, esp. if you're wearing them all the time. Personally I'd probably just keep getting lenses for my Dragon Rakes except they discontinued that frame and I can't find them anymore. But since Oakley provides such a great selection of good stuff and I can get a discount..... I might have bought some half-jackets a while ago but they never fit my face correctly. Luckily Oakley introduced the Flack-jacket just last year and they fit great.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
How much is the icon 2.0 backpack or whatever, I'd totally pay one of you to get me one.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
wish i qualify. oakley glasses are one of the few glasses that fit my face well... :( the prices are usually so prohibitive that i can't justify paying for them though..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Participating in this program is a privilege and there are guidelines that must be followed. Please note that as a buyer in this program, you must enter into an agreement between Oakley and you, the Buyer. Once accepted, you the Buyer shall not sell Oakley product to any individual, department, team or unit for a profit. At no time should Oakley products be sold or diverted for resale in any environment whatsoever-including but not limited to Internet, swap meets or flea markets etc. A new sales agreement will need to be submitted with the Buyers first order of every calendar year.

We would not be able to sell them after we have purchased them. I won't, because I could lose my job.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Yea I read that line, anyone wanna buy it for me as a gift then? I'll just happen to perform whatever services you need that equate to the cost of the backpack.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Oakleys. I have 2 pairs currently, Straight Jackets and Monster Dog Ducatis. On both pairs, the lenses are starting to peal apart. The inside most layer of the lens is bubbled and looks like it's de-laminating from the rest of the lens. I won't buy Oakley's again.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
[quote author=KeepJeepin link=topic=107798.msg2208264#msg2208264 date=1207349075]
Once accepted, you the Buyer shall not sell Oakley product to any individual, department, team or unit for a profit. [/quote]

"For a profit" are the keywords here ;)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
[quote author=stephanie link=topic=107798.msg2208694#msg2208694 date=1207363347]
[quote author=KeepJeepin link=topic=107798.msg2208264#msg2208264 date=1207349075]
Once accepted, you the Buyer shall not sell Oakley product to any individual, department, team or unit for a profit. [/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, but it then says. Under no circumstances will these be sold dat da dat da da yada yada yadda.

·
Registered
692 Posts
[quote author=stephanie link=topic=107798.msg2208694#msg2208694 date=1207363347]

[/quote]

Right. Although I want to get a lawyer's opinion on this, it occurs to me that giving them away as a gift (i.e. you receive zero compensation) does not violate the agreement.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
How about I just accidently ship something to you. And you accidently send me paypal money.

lol

·
Registered
17,743 Posts
too bad i dont like to wear glasses/sunglasses

i know sprints gives a discount and so does at&t, i checked at&t using my .mil email address, sprint i called. easy

i was also at Hot Topic one day paying for something and the girl at the counter saw my ID, she said " oh you get a discount" i was ok nice...lol

im sure there are other places too.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts