Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, while waiting for my registration from the dealer, I had unhooked my battery to install my amp. So after I got the registration today, I took it to my mechanic for an inspection, which it failed. Both "Catalytic converter efficiency" and "Evaporative emissions control system" came back as "Not Ready".

I've put 105 miles on it since I last disconnected the battery, but that obviously wasn't enough. I tried searching for the Mazda 3 drive cycle, but all I found was a thread on this forum from 4 years ago, which didn't give too much information.

Do we know what the specific drive cycle is for these cars? Or how long should I wait\what should I do specifically before bringing it back to get re-tested? Thanks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do you have a check engine light? Or a OBDII code that came up?

I have been disconnecting my battery routinely past few weeks (big audio install) and putting it back on I had no CELs or any codes show up on a OBDII scan.

I believe it takes 50 miles for the ECU to re-learn everything after a battery disconnect.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
40 miles for a CEL to clear from the computer entirely (unsure if DTCs are the same or not)

Any mods or anything? Something sounds wrong with whatever happened with your emissions testing.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ECU input monitors require specific drive cycles before the input monitor deems that particular part is "ready".

For the EVAP, according to the service manual, it was something along the lines of:

- let car sit for 5+ hours
- start car and idle for 15 minutes
- drive the car maintaining speed between 40-50 for 5 minutes

The EVAP took the longest for me to get "ready". I believe I was able to get it ready by driving at 40-50 for about 2minutes.

The catalytic convert I think needs to be driven 50-65mph for about 2-3 minutes, but don't remember for sure.

All in all, it took me about 3-4 days of driving city/freeway to get all the input monitors to show "ready".

For anyone that is wondering, here in CA, when it comes to smog, they plug into the OBD port which pulls up input monitors. If any of them aren't in the "ready" state, it is an automatic fail.

If you have a CEL scanner, you can plug that in and see if the input monitors are "ready" or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No CEL's or anything. Just those two sensors coming up as "Not ready." My mechanic just suggested driving for a week, go through another gas tank's worth of miles, and come back.

Sadly, I don't have a CEL scanner. I was just wondering if there was something special that needed to be done, since it's had 100 miles on it since I last disconnected the battery, varying from 30 - 40 back roads to 50 - 70 highway.

Hopefully, after a week when I come back it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nothing special needs to be done. Just have to make sure the drive cycle parameters are met for those two things and that's it. Just drive around for a week or so and see if you can find someone with a scanner to check the input monitors.

·
Registered
722 Posts
CATALYST MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
•Do not turn off the ignition switch during the test procedure.
•All Onboard Diagnostic Monitors are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is cleared with the Scan Tool.
•This drive cycle can be used to determine if the Readiness code for this Monitor will run and complete, and if the MIL will remain off after the vehicle is driven.
•Operating Ranges: When a range of values is provided, try to operate the vehicle in the middle of the range. For example, if the vehicle speed range calls for 45-55 mph, drive the vehicle as close as possible to 50 mph. If the engine speed should be 1,000-2,000 rpm, try to operate the engine at 1,500 rpm.
•Scan Tool Data: There are certain Parameter Identification (PID) values that must be within range before this Monitor will "run". It can be helpful to pull up those PID items on the Scan Tool so an assistant can view them during testing.

CATALYST MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS•MIL is off
•No Emission related DTC's are present
•ECT sensor signal more than 167ºF
•IAT sensor signal more than 14ºF
•Idle speed set to the correct specification
•Ignition timing set to the correct specification

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors. Bring up the Readiness Code for the Catalyst Monitor.
2.Start the engine and allow it to run at idle until the ECT PID is at least 167ºF.
3.Accelerate to 2,500-3,500 rpm in P/N under no load conditions for 15 seconds. Then allow the engine to return to idle for 60 seconds after the Cooling Fan stops running. Watch the RPM PID on the Scan Tool to verify the correct engine speed during this part of the procedure.
4.Accelerate to more than 40 mph in Drive for A/T (in 5th gear on M/T models) Maintain that speed for 1 minute. Decelerate to 45-55 mph for 3 minutes and then back to idle speed. Then accelerate to 55 mph, and vary the speed between 50-55 mph (10 seconds on, and 5 seconds off). Bring the vehicle to a stop in a safe place, but do not turn off the ignition key.
5.Check the status of the Readiness code for the Catalyst Monitor. It should change to YES. If it does, perform any additional driving under the conditions required to run the remainder of the monitors. If the Readiness code does not change to YES, check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, and the status did not change to YES, return to step 3 and repeat the test procedure.

CATALYST MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
•All Onboard Diagnostic Monitors are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is cleared with the Scan Tool.
•This drive cycle can be used to determine if the Readiness code for this Monitor will run and complete, and if the MIL will remain off after the vehicle is driven.
•Operating Ranges: When a range of values is provided, try to operate the vehicle in the middle of the range. For example, if the vehicle speed range calls for 45-55 mph, drive the vehicle as close as possible to 50 mph. If the engine speed should be 1,000-2,000 rpm, try to operate the engine at 1,500 rpm.
•Scan Tool Data: There are certain Parameter Identification (PID) values that must be within range before this Monitor will "run". It can be helpful to pull up those PID items on the Scan Tool so an assistant can view them during testing.

CATALYST MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS
•MIL is off

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors. Bring up the Readiness Code for the Catalyst Monitor.
2.Start the engine and allow it to run at idle until the ECT PID is at least 167ºF.
3.Accelerate to 2,500-3,500 rpm in P/N under no load conditions for 15 seconds. Then allow the engine to return to idle for 60 seconds after the Cooling Fan stops running. Watch the RPM PID on the Scan Tool to verify the correct engine speed during this part of the procedure.
4.Accelerate to more than 40 mph in Drive for A/T (in 5th gear on M/T models) Maintain that speed for 1 minute. Decelerate to 45-55 mph for 3 minutes and then back to idle speed. Then accelerate to 55 mph, and vary the speed between 50-55 mph (10 seconds on, and 5 seconds off). Bring the vehicle to a stop in a safe place, but do not turn off the ignition key.
5.Check the status of the Readiness code for the Catalyst Monitor. It should change to YES. If it does, perform any additional driving under the conditions required to run the remainder of the monitors. If the Readiness code does not change to YES, check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, and the status did not change to YES, return to step 3 and repeat the test procedure.
COMPONENT MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
•The Readiness code for this Monitor defaults to "continuous" or "monitoring" because this Monitor runs continuously when the engine is cranking or running.

COMPONENT MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS
•MIL is off
•Battery voltage from 11-16v

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the OBD Monitors.
2.Start the engine and allow it to run at idle speed for at 1-2 minutes.
3.Accelerate at part-throttle to 50 mph and maintain that speed for 15 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop, and allow the engine to idle with the transmission in Drive (in Neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes.
4.Then accelerate at moderate throttle to 50 mph and maintain that speed for 15 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop, and then accelerate to 65 mph and maintain that speed for 15 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop in a safe place, but do not turn off the ignition key.
5.Check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, the Component Monitor test is complete. If any Pending codes are set, refer to the appropriate trouble code repair information to make the repair.
EGR SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
•This drive cycle can be used to determine if the Readiness code for this Monitor will complete, and if the MIL will remain off after the vehicle is driven.

EGR SYSTEM MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS
•MIL is off
•ECT sensor signal more than 165ºF
•IAT sensor signal more than 50ºF
•Perform the Adaptive Memory Produce Drive Mode - Engine speed from 2,500-3,500 rpm in Park or Neutral under no-load conditions for 15 seconds, than back to idle speed for 30 seconds.

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors. Bring up the Readiness Code for the EGR System Monitor.
2.Start the engine and allow it to run until the ECT PID reaches at least 165ºF.
3.Accelerate to a speed of 49-57 mph. Maintain that speed for one minute. Then decelerate back to idle speed and maintain that speed for 20 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop in a safe place, but do not turn off the ignition key.
4.Check the status of the Readiness code for the EGR System Monitor. It should change to YES. If it does, perform any additional driving under the conditions required to run the remainder of the monitors. If the Readiness code does not change to YES, check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, and the status did not change to YES, return to step 3 and repeat the test procedure.
EVAP SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS•Do not turn off the ignition switch during the test procedure.
•This drive cycle can be used to determine if the Readiness code for this Monitor will complete, and if the MIL will remain off after the vehicle is driven.

EVAP SYSTEM MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS
•Ignition switch turned off
•MIL is off
•BARO sensor signal more than 72.2 kPa
•Battery voltage from 11-15v
•IAT sensor signal between 41-113ºF
•Fuel level from 15-85%

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Start the engine and allow it to idle for 10 seconds. Turn off the ignition key. Leave the engine off for at least 8 hours (to complete the cold soak period).
2.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors. Bring up the Readiness Code for the EVAP System Monitor.
3.Start the engine and allow it to run at idle speed for at least 15 minutes.
4.Accelerate at part-throttle to 40-50 mph. Maintain that speed for 5 minutes. Bring the vehicle to stop in a safe place and then turn off the ignition key. Leave the key off for at least 10 minutes. Then restart the engine.
5.Check the status of the Readiness code for the EVAP System Monitor. It should change to YES. If it does, perform any additional driving under the conditions required to run the remainder of the monitors. If the Readiness code does not change to YES, check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, and the status did not change to YES, return to step 3 and repeat the test procedure.
FUEL SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
•The Readiness code for this Monitor defaults to "continuous" or "monitoring" because this Monitor runs continuously when the engine runs in closed loop.

FUEL SYSTEM MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS
•MIL is off
•ECT signal more than 167ºF
•Engine running in Closed Loop mode

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Turn the key on and bring up the ECT PID on the Scan Tool. Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors.
2.Start the engine and allow it to idle speed until the ECT PID is at least 167ºF.
3.Accelerate to a speed of 55 mph and maintain that speed for 2-3 minutes. Decelerate back to idle speed at least once. During this drive cycle, it is okay to drive in stop and go traffic several times, and to include at least one idle period. Bring the vehicle to a stop in a safe place, but do not turn off the ignition key.
4.Check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, the Fuel System Monitor test is complete. If any Pending codes are set, refer to the appropriate trouble code repair information to make the repair.
HO2S HEATER MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS

HO2S HEATER MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS•MIL is off
•Perform the Adaptive Memory Produce Drive Mode - Engine speed from 2,500-3,500 rpm in Park or Neutral under no-load conditions for 15 seconds, than back to idle speed for 30 seconds.

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors. Bring up the Readiness Code for the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Monitor.
2.Start the engine and allow it to run at idle speed for 1-2 minutes.
4.Accelerate at part-throttle to 40 mph with the gear selector in Drive (in 5th gear for M/T). Maintain that speed for 1 minute. Then accelerate to 45-55 mph. Maintain that speed for 3 minutes. Then back to idle speed. Then accelerate to 55 mph, and vary the speed between 50 and 55 mph (10 seconds on, and 5 seconds off). Bring the vehicle to a stop, but do not turn off the ignition key.
5.Check the status of the Readiness code for the HO2S Heater Monitor. It should change to YES. If it does, perform any additional driving under the conditions required to run the remainder of the Monitors. If the Readiness code does not change to YES, check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, and the status did not change to YES, return to step 3 and repeat the test procedure.
HO2S MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS

HO2S MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS•MIL is off

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors. Bring up the Readiness Code for the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Monitor.

5.Check the status of the Readiness code for the HO2S Monitor. It should change to YES. If it does, perform any additional driving under the conditions required to run the remainder of the Monitors. If the Readiness code does not change to YES, check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, and the status did not change to YES, return to step 3 and repeat the test procedure.
MISFIRE MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
•The Readiness code for this Monitor defaults to "continuous" or "monitoring" because this Monitor runs continuously whenever the engine is running.

MISFIRE MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS•MIL is off.
•No Emission related DTC's are present.
•Vehicle speed more than 3 mph

TEST PROCEDURE
1.Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the Onboard Diagnostic Monitors.
2.Start the engine and allow it to run at idle speed for 1-2 minutes.
3.Accelerate to a speed of 65 mph and maintain that speed for 2-3 minutes. Decelerate from 65 mph to below 40 mph without touching the brake pedal. Accelerate at part-throttle several times to allow the transmission to shift and return to idle speed after each acceleration and deceleration event.
4.Bring the vehicle to a stop, but do not turn off the ignition key.
5.Check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool and that no Pending codes are set. If no Pending codes are set, the Misfire Monitor test is complete. If any Pending codes are set, refer to the appropriate trouble code repair information to make the repair.

It's most likely the catalyst and/or the EVAP monitor holding you up... they generally take the longest. For the record disconnecting the battery will force you to relearn ALL of the monitors... generally just clearing a CEL with a scan tool will only force you to run the EVAP, catalyst, and I think the HO2S monitors... I haven't had to reset any Mazda CELs recently enough to remember, but working on all makes and models this is what I've observed in general. If you can get a scan tool it will help you greatly to narrow down which monitors have/have not run so you can focus on the correct drive cycle procedure.

I bolded some of the more important/awkward/stuff you probably wouldn't think of to try and pinpoint stuff you haven't done.

When it talks about minutes accellerating/idling/etc, go by the vehicle clock. It's OK to take longer for any given step, but not shorter. Also I've found that MOST vehicles will reset the EVAP monitor driving at 65mph even though they specify 45-55... but if you have a road available to do it at those speeds then take advantage of it.

For the catalyst monitor.. you need a STEADY foot(better yet, cruise control) to complete it... the only time that the rear O2 sensors read accurately is when the engine is under a consistent load at cruise with minimal throttle input to maintain that cruising condition/speed.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the large amount of info. That does help. Gives me a checklist of things to try and hit with my normal driving pattern for the next week :)

Edit: While this issue will probably be resolved by the time it would come in, I am thinking about picking up this bluetooth OBDII scanner and Torque for my phone. Anyone have any experience with that as well?

Edit: I don't know why I can't get the second link to work. Oh well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks for the large amount of info. That does help. Gives me a checklist of things to try and hit with my normal driving pattern for the next week :)

Edit: While this issue will probably be resolved by the time it would come in, I am thinking about picking up this bluetooth OBDII scanner and Torque for my phone. Anyone have any experience with that as well?

Edit: I don't know why I can't get the second link to work. Oh well.
Those things are pretty cool, they're fast too. Not sure about that particular dongle, but I have a friend who got one and it's good. Just make sure to read reviews about it before buying, a lot of the Chinese knock offs don't work.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It's most likely the catalyst and/or the EVAP monitor holding you up... they generally take the longest. For the record disconnecting the battery will force you to relearn ALL of the monitors... generally just clearing a CEL with a scan tool will only force you to run the EVAP, catalyst, and I think the HO2S monitors... I haven't had to reset any Mazda CELs recently enough to remember, but working on all makes and models this is what I've observed in general. If you can get a scan tool it will help you greatly to narrow down which monitors have/have not run so you can focus on the correct drive cycle procedure.

I bolded some of the more important/awkward/stuff you probably wouldn't think of to try and pinpoint stuff you haven't done.

When it talks about minutes accellerating/idling/etc, go by the vehicle clock. It's OK to take longer for any given step, but not shorter. Also I've found that MOST vehicles will reset the EVAP monitor driving at 65mph even though they specify 45-55... but if you have a road available to do it at those speeds then take advantage of it.

For the catalyst monitor.. you need a STEADY foot(better yet, cruise control) to complete it... the only time that the rear O2 sensors read accurately is when the engine is under a consistent load at cruise with minimal throttle input to maintain that cruising condition/speed.

Hope that helps.
I wanted to thank you SO MUCH for this. I was having a terrible time getting my EVAP to go to ready state. Drove around for a whole week and it didn't clear, then went on a 25 mile freeway drive and it didn't clear.

I suspect it was the fuel level that was the problem. For the entirety of my week of normal driving my fuel level was below 15% (I have a short commute) and then I filled the tank before the freeway drive.

I ended up driving for 75 miles to get the fuel level to 75% then let it cold soak overnight and then followed the EVAP procedure you listed and it cleared.

Finding roads that I could drive 40-50MPH for a continuous 5 minutes was actually pretty challenging as well, I went to a local canyon road (Mullholland Highway) which mostly has a 45MPH speed limit but I still had to pull over several times because I was holding up too much traffic driving at 48MPH. Once I finally got my EVAP to ready I drove back along the same road without worrying about keeping it under 50 which was a LOT more fun ;)

In any case, thanks again. I was almost out of time before I had to get a smog check for my registration.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Are you sure that it isn't all but one monitor is required to pass? I do safety in emission inspections in NYS which is CA emissions state and you are allowed to have one monitor not run and still pass, 2000 and older vehicles can have two not run. The reason why is because EVAP can take quite some time to run and some monitors will not run if its too cold outside. If a car has just been repaired to pass inspection, its winter, and a car requires 50*+ temps to run a monitor what are you supposed to do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts