Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, how many of you are prepped for a disaster, whether it be natural, terrorist attack, or mass chaos? And if so, what have you done to prepare for it? I saw this on another forum I'm a member of, however, these people are a bit uh, extreme to say the least. So I was more interested in what average people would do if any.

Food and Water:
Myself I have a food supply of about 2 months for my family in non-perishable items, in our basement. It comes in handy as a second pantry as well, seeing as we don't really have a pantry in our kitchen. Whenever we use something up in the kitchen, we rotate the stock from the basement on up with the oldest coming up, and the newest going down into the basement. We also have a decent supply of bottled water, probably around a month supply if you do the 8 glasses of water a day thing. Again, we rotate the stock on this into our fridge upstairs and downstairs.

Fuel:
Also have 2 extra propane tanks for my grill, so cooking isn't an issue, have 5 gallons of gasoline and 5 gallons of diesel fuel handy as well in case we need to vacate and don't have the ability to fuel up before leaving.

Shelter:
This really isn't disaster prep stuff here, other than camping gear, unless shit really hit the fan, then it would be used as disaster shelter. 6 person tent, and sleeping bags, plus other misc camping tools such as a trenching shovel, flashlights / lanterns and batteries / fuel. Just keeping the stuff organized and in a place easy to get is realistically all the preparation you need.

Clothing:
Change of clothing for everyone in the family, plus jackets, extra socks, shoes, gloves, etc.

Important documents:
Passports, Copies of driver licenses / state IDs, birth certificates, shot records, pet identification tag info, etc, etc. All stored securely in a binder in a waterproof bag inside a fireproof lock box inside a waterproof and fireproof safe that is bolted to the floor. Plus enough cash to get by for a while.

Communication devices:
Weather radio with extra batteries (also crank powered), roll of quarters for a payphone, whistle, 2-way radios, whistle.

Self defense:
Pick your poison, I own several guns and have plenty of ammo on hand for them. Alternatively, a good knife is always handy, as is a baseball bat.

Ideally, I'd never have to use any of this stuff, but you never know what could happen. Having the food and water supply is a MUST where I live, in an area with frequent severe weather it isn't uncommon to go without power for a week or so at a time a couple of times a year. Hell, one time in 2006 I was without power for 17 days. And I wasn't nearly prepared for it then as I was now.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I have almost a week's worth of MRE's, baby formula/food, dog food and water. Can't see a scenario of needing longer than that, and, quite frankly, I don't have room to store any extra survivalist gears. Oh, and I have guns, too.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Basic food and water stash, handguns and several hundred rounds of ammo, field pack with ax, saw, ect. I'm prior service Army. Rule of thumb is you stash the bare essentials, and get the Hell out of town before things get real bad. Half of surviving a disaster happens before the disaster occurs. Everything after that is luck and guts.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=199187.msg4120857#msg4120857 date=1317178875]
Hicks and your guns. When the shit hits the fan well all die and your guns wont do shit.
[/quote]

:lol:

My guns aren't for the end of days. They're just for shooting meth heads that might break into my house in the middle of the night.

I'm no survivalist, just don't want to be standing in line for a free meal an hour after a tornado passes through, LOL.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=199187.msg4121404#msg4121404 date=1317234649]
[quote author=biggee72 link=topic=199187.msg4120857#msg4120857 date=1317178875]
Hicks and your guns. When the shit hits the fan well all die and your guns wont do shit.
[/quote]

:lol:

My guns aren't for the end of days. They're just for shooting meth heads that might break into my house in the middle of the night.

I'm no survivalist, just don't want to be standing in line for a free meal an hour after a tornado passes through, LOL.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Which is why we have a good supply of food and water in case we get stuck without utilities for an extended period of time, which is common in our area during the summer and winter months. Knock on wood, hasn't happened to us since we've been in the house though.

Plus it doesn't help my wife is one of those extreme couponer types and stocks up on shit when its on sale. Seriously, we have something like 55 cans of Dinty Moore beef stew in the basement food pantry, of which we only spent like $4.95 on.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My survival kit is my car dvd player (for the kids) and cash/credit cards. (pull $500/1k and fill tank befor each event [irene]) You drive long enough you will be out of the disater area (tornado/power outage/huricane) and my grandparents had big families so I have friends family all over the state/country I can stay at if need be. Sorry i aint hanging out in my house if i cant get food or power etc from a local store. If its cold i will bleed the pipes and leave. If there is no food I am driving till there is. You have to do what drive 20-30 miles away to really get out of a disaster zone??? Hell even katrina whiped out most of louisianna but you drive 3-4 hrs and civilization was there at your disposal.

As for end of days yea I will take meds that will make us have the long nap if you get what I mean. Frig that blowing your brains out or your families, I couldn't do that shit!!!! (could you put a gun to your kids head?) Take sleeping pills and run the car in the closed garage is the only way to go in that case. Pills put you out and the monoxide does the rest no pain. Or drive to where the big bright light and mushroom cloud are going to be and get vaporized in the first 2 seconds.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=199187.msg4121412#msg4121412 date=1317235364]
Hell even katrina whiped out most of louisianna but you drive 3-4 hrs and civilization was there at your disposal.
[/quote]

3-4 hours during an emergency? Hardly. To get from NO to Baton Rouge after Katrina took a day or more. Houston? 2-3 days. During Rita, it took on average for 48 hours or more for people to get to DFW from Houston. All of the people that thought cash and a single tank of gas were sufficient had a couple of very hungry, very hot and very thirsty days hanging out on I45.

Not trying to be a scare monger at all. For once, though, I think the government has it about right. Be prepared for 72 hours on your own. Beyond that, you're likely to be receiving assistance.

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=199187.msg4121430#msg4121430 date=1317236086]
[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=199187.msg4121412#msg4121412 date=1317235364]
Hell even katrina whiped out most of louisianna but you drive 3-4 hrs and civilization was there at your disposal.
[/quote]

3-4 hours during an emergency? Hardly. To get from NO to Baton Rouge after Katrina took a day or more. Houston? 2-3 days. During Rita, it took on average for 48 hours or more for people to get to DFW from Houston. All of the people that thought cash and a single tank of gas were sufficient had a couple of very hungry, very hot and very thirsty days hanging out on I45.

Not trying to be a scare monger at all. For once, though, I think the government has it about right. Be prepared for 72 hours on your own. Beyond that, you're likely to be receiving assistance.

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html
[/quote]

Good points but heres an idea get the hell out of dodge befor the storm comes, huricanes are predictable. I was ready to go to a friends in central PA if Irene stayed at a catagory 3. But she fizzled out and I stayed. If you hang out to see what the storm does (katrina/rita) thats your fault. Houses cars etc are replaceable your family is not!

Tornadoes on the other hand are unpredictable as well as earthquakes. Even with all the flooding and power loss from irene all was back to normal 2 days later at least by me. I also had friends staying with me from the areas that were flooded 4ft+/no power for days (after the storm of course). But again my supermarket was full of food and water a/c was working fine. By them not so much (less than 20 miles away)

Even without power for a day my propane stove cooked meals like every other day (via a match) and I have a small portable diesel generator I can hook my furnace (oil) in less than an hour to run the blower motor and the burner to keep us warm. (house heating oil is diesel fuel) as long as the tank is full :lol:

If a true disaster hits that I can't run away from befor hand then I still have 4-5 days of food readily available from average weekly shoping and enough dry goods for another 3-4 days easily (even more if rationed). As for water we have city water that is gravity fed and I always fill the bathtub (100 gallons+) befor any major event. If its more than a week for cleanup and the roads are blocked and I cant get out by car I will get out by dirtbikes or snow mobiles. It's good to have toys. :lol:

Disaster preparedness is unessesary in todays world unless its end of days disaster. Then we are F%#$%^

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=199187.msg4121452#msg4121452 date=1317238023]
Good points but heres an idea get the hell out of dodge befor the storm comes, huricanes are predictable. I was ready to go to a friends in central PA if Irene stayed at a catagory 3. But she fizzled out and I stayed. If you hang out to see what the storm does (katrina/rita) thats your fault. Houses cars etc are replaceable your family is not!
[/quote]

The Rita mess was because everyone was heading inland well before the storm, not during or after.

I guess my point is that nothing is entirely predictable and $50 worth of goods could help turn what could be a "disaster" into simply an inconvenience. Some people go way overboard, though.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
[quote author=AlvinRow link=topic=199187.msg4121458#msg4121458 date=1317238513]
I live in Ohio, so no. I'm totally unprepared for a disaster, natural or not.
[/quote]

Isn't Ohio already a disaster? I've seen Gummo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts