Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to disable the airbags because I've read that having a full faced helmet and making contact with the airbag could cause a broken jaw. I hope I wouldn't have to worry about crashing the car in the first place while on the track, but it never hurts to be safer just in case. Is there a fuse somewhere that by pulling it will disable the system?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think the OP is discussing disabling it for track use, not auto-x.

There are concerns about the force of an airbag hitting a full face helmet when wearing a harness.

Usually an airbag is not fully deployed when your head hits it (otherwise it would leave more than bruises.)

With a harness and full face helmet, the bag might impact on the lower portion of the helmet at full deployment (because the head is not moving forward as much like it does with a normal seatbelt) and drive that piece into your jaw, breaking it. I believe that SCCA racers disable the airbag for road racing in classes like Showroom Stock and Touring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=PZ link=topic=135277.msg2912321#msg2912321 date=1233779041]
I think the OP is discussing disabling it for track use, not auto-x.

There are concerns about the force of an airbag hitting a full face helmet when wearing a harness.

Usually an airbag is not fully deployed when your head hits it (otherwise it would leave more than bruises.)

With a harness and full face helmet, the bag might impact on the lower portion of the helmet at full deployment (because the head is not moving forward as much like it does with a normal seatbelt) and drive that piece into your jaw, breaking it. I believe that SCCA racers disable the airbag for road racing in classes like Showroom Stock and Touring.

[/quote]

Exactly. I'll have to poke around the fuses and see what I can find if nobody has an answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts