Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 mazda 3 grand touring S hatch. Anyways I really need to disable my ABS. I live up north where we have bad winters and driving in the snow with ABS is dangerous. If I want to lock the wheels up then I should be allowed to. Is there any good way to properly disable it without other functions being messed with? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ABS is supposed to be helpful in slick conditions. What you want to do sounds counterproductive. Anybody who gives you advice on how to do this could be accused of being liable when you spin out and wreck your car. Good luck finding anybody willing to take that chance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is someone liable when I do the work myself? I just was wondering if someone else has properly done it. Also ABS is horrible in winter conditions where your driving in a foot of snow. Because your tires slip no matter how much the break is applied. You drive with constant understeer at anything past 10mph. So locking up the wheels is sometimes your only option. Good drivers use the e-brake to rotate the car around turns. Bad drivers attempt to drive slow and get stuck in snow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would I listen to an engineer for GM? They make horrible decisions to begin with. I just want my abs properly removed. It doesn't matter if other people think it's a good decision or not. It's the proper and correct decision for me to make driving safer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
why does everybody else cope with abs but you cannot
do you fit snow tires?
suggesting to use the emergency brake to deliberately lose traction at the back in icy conditions does not sound like a good driver to me,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone does cope with it and I am coping with it too. But things happen that makes me not want to cope with it. So at this point I would prefer removing it. Also have you seriously not used the e-brake when experiencing understeer to complete the turn properly? You must not be a good driver at all. Abs is for road conditions where if you lose traction it becomes difficult to regain traction. Abs is also for people who cannot properly apply a break correctly and get easily flustered when driving. The same goes with traction control. Horrible for the winter. Looks like I have to make a new thread on this one because people have to question why I'm doing it instead of giving me proper help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nobody wants to help because if you get hurt or hurt someone else (even though you're some self-proclaimed amazing driver) anyone who helped you can be legally liable for those damages because of the fact that they helped you. Also, disabling ABS and other functioning safety featutes in a car is usually a felony at the state and federal level. Plus disabling ABS in the snow isn't helpful, see here:

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
88 Posts
You cannot disable ABS controls on your anti locking braking system.
You may be talking about Traction control ... which controls your trires from spinning when accelerating.
I often turn that off in slippery (snow or icy ) inclines or when at the track .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know you can't turn it off with any buttons. But there should be a fuse or something you can take out or just removing the sensors altogether. Just wondering if someone has messed with it and has done it so no other systems are affected.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think I remember someone did that here once but they got killed in a crash and haven't posted since LOL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They did it wrong then. Also how on earth does disabling ABS cause the breaks to fail causing someone to die?

·
Registered
230 Posts
one day you will be using your e-brake to drift around a corner
and you will experience a "bad driver stuck in the snow" your words
let me know how that ends

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your not suppose to blindly drift around corners. Just a touch of e brake when your experiencing understeer helps a lot. Try it sometime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being a good or bad driver has nothing to do with knowing how to properly remove the ABS on a 2015 Mazda 3. Which was my original question to begin with. I wish it was easier to figure out if someone has done it without dealing with people who have nothing important to say regarding the topic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts