Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! This is my first post...I'm thinking of trading my 350z for a Mazda 3s (my Z is becoming too expensive to keep up while still in college).

My question is what type of differential does the 3s HB have? Open or limited slip? For some reason I can't find this info on the Mazda website. Thanks!

Ryan

W

·
0 Posts
From the factory, it's an open transaxel on the 3... and i'ts too early in the production run for any aftermarket LSDs to be available.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Yeah... when you can't find the info, you can be pretty sure it's open ;)

Anyway, the MZ3 doesn't really have that much power that it's a huge concern, as nice as an LSD would be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dayum...that's bad to hear. I would definitely add a turbo to the car in a year to year and a half, so an LSD would need to be installed.

What kinda ballpark would labor run to install an LSD?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
A good mechanic usually charge $250~300 or so for R&R and opening up the tranny.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Besides.. even id Mazdaspeed didnt make one, Quaife could make you a one-off for $1400 (somewhere in there).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info. I'm really leaning towards the Mz3...the looks of the car are amazing! I love the interior design, much more so than anything else in this price range.

This Z is my 2nd Nissan, first one being a Spec V. I know my dealer can get a good deal on an '04 Spec, but I really don't like the looks of that car anymore. I'm going to Mazda tomorrow to test drive a S hatchback, and I'll post my impressions afterward :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Mazda 3 has an Open Differential. (One wheel burnout! ~Whooo!) :(

A LSD would be awesome to help increase traction and control, especially on the mediocre Goodyear RS-A's tires. Quaife's LSD are rather pricey, though, and if you're like me, I'd hire a professional to do the install job.

I'd rather save the money up and trade in the Mazda 3 for whatever Mazdaspeed will cook up for us :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're giving up the Nissan 350Z. that car is crazy cool :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
you crazy person you, I test drove the 350z and the acceleration and handling is like sex on wheels. Giving up that car would be like getting castrated. I only couldn't and didn't get one cuz of college and insurance, but dont get me wrong, I LOVE MY 3!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The new 350Z is a shameful car, imo.

First off, its slow. If you think thats fast.. then you never rode in a 300zx. And with the turbo in our STi failing, I ate one alive in first gear.

Second, its not even turbo. Your gonna dish out over $30k for a car that "they" say carries on a legend. Which in fact, it almost has nothing to do with the traditional Z line. Yeah, so its RWD, big deal.

Third, people that are true to the Z will never even think about owning this "copy-cat Porsche 911 body style". Looks like a bubble to me.

I dont know even much about Nissans, let along the Z. My brother-in-law owns a 300zx, so thats where most my knowledge comes from.

Bottom line: The Triple Threats will never be replaced. No matter how long, how hard a company tries.

Long live.. the Toyota Supra, Mazda RX7 and Nissan 300zx.

·
Registered
202 Posts
listen here, I have driven a 300zx, it was just non-turbo. But the important thing about the 350z is that it's a nice car except for the crappy plastics in the interior. Who cares about it keeping the heritage? What matters is that they are making competition for other manufacturers to be more competitive and that's all that counts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vaboom,

I have never heard anything about turbos failing, can you elaborate on that? When I worked for Subaru, I never saw a turbo fail on a WRX/STI (except with aftermarket). Im just curious to this. I love the STis, got lucky enough to drive them on a regular occasion.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The STi we got was from eBay. Basically, some kid got a a Java Black STi for his birthday (I think he was 17). The first thing he did was he got a boost controller installed (ApexI AVC-R..) When I first looked at playback, it says it was boosting 24psi, peaking at 28psi.

We bought the car with 3k miles.. no warranty (dealership voided dudes warranty because of the aftermarket parts) for $22k. After months of nearly begging a dealership, we FINALLY got Subaru of America to replace the cylinder head, exhaust manifold, turbo and wastegate and a bundles of fuel, intake and pressure lines (and a new oil pan). They told us they are only doing this just once, and they werent going to install the parts. The turbo blew its seals, pumped oil into the cylinder head, scortched the rings and combustion chamber and nearly took out all the rubber lines around the motor.

The car currently sits at my friends shop in OC. The motor is out and ready for the new parts to arrive. They est it will all be here sometime May.

Anarkraft said:
listen here, I have driven a 300zx, it was just non-turbo. But the important thing about the 350z is that it's a nice car except for the crappy plastics in the interior. Who cares about it keeping the heritage? What matters is that they are making competition for other manufacturers to be more competitive and that's all that counts.
You must not understand. The heritage is what keeps these cars around. Look at the Vette.. and the new C6. I dont know how good sales are of the new Z (assuming pretty good, lots of people in Denver have them) and do you think that is due to just the car and not the background?

The 300zx TT was a legend. It paved the road of what a true sports car should be. Shortly after, the Supra TT and RX7 TT came along.

If they only concerned about competition, it wouldnt have been named 350Z.

·
Registered
13 Posts
VaBoom,

Sounds like a good deal, 22K for a car with 3k and about 10Gs worth of parts. We had a guy once who upgraded his turbo and went the whole nine years, 52PSI of boost and was wondering why everything was jacked up.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Only damn parts on the car was that Apex AVC-R and some rigged intake filter.

My friend thinks we got a killer deal, seeing that Subaru ended up warranty'd the parts that were jacked. Problem is, they wont cover anything under the hood. Its no big deal, as this car is becoming by brothers' little Autocrossing/Drag car.

I woulda kept the car with me in Colorado, but the insurance was almost double than my 3.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vaboom: The VQ35 in the 350 is one of the most powerful N/A 6 cylinders in production today. The tuning potential of this motor is enormous. The Z has only been out 1 year, and already people in the USA are making upwards of 400 to 500hp from FI.

Have you even driven a 350 before you start bashing them? And if you have, was it other than in a straight line because the Z really shines on curvy roads.

Click this link http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/pdst/BestMotoring_350Z_TsukubaBattle.asf

And speaking of the "traditional Z line", the first Z ever (Datsun 180z) was a N/A 4cyl. If you look back at history, Nissan got themselves into trouble when they introduced the 300zx tt. Research, development, and adding twin turbos to the 300 drove the price range way past what most people were willing to pay for a Nissan. That move limited sales to a smaller portion of the car buying market. Anyway, the N/A 350z is faster than the TT 300zx (stock for stock of course) without having to worry about the reliability/maintenance of a turbo system.

I agree the 350z looks similar to a Porsche, as I have had people mistake my Z for one. That doesn't bother me because Porsche makes some of the finest automobiles in the world.

Don't knock it til you try it, and if you have tried it then you're certainly entitled to your own opinion. I just don't agree with it ;) Now, I have driven MANY high performance BMW's (All the M series models), and the Z is just as thrilling, if not more, to drive. In the end that's really what matters. I don't race my vehicles for a living, if I did that would be a different story. As long as you are happy and having fun with what you are driving, then everything is gravy!

It's raining like a beeotch here today, but I'm still gonna go test drive a Mazda 3 HB. I've narrowed my selection down to that or an '04 Spec V. I will say the Spec V owns the MZ3 as far as speed/power, but the MZ3 is WAAAAY more attractive than the Spec as far as aesthetics and interior. I see a great potential in the MZ3 with turbo and LSD...only time will tell what it can do. I remember when I first bought my Spec in '02 there wasn't sqaut for an aftermarket. Now, people are reliably putting down 289whp in their daily-driven Specs!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Doc said:
And speaking of the "traditional Z line", the first Z ever (Datsun 180z) was a N/A 4cyl. If you look back at history, Nissan got themselves into trouble when they introduced the 300zx tt. Research, development, and adding twin turbos to the 300 drove the price range way past what most people were willing to pay for a Nissan. That move limited sales to a smaller portion of the car buying market. Anyway, the N/A 350z is faster than the TT 300zx (stock for stock of course) without having to worry about the reliability/maintenance of a turbo system.
HEhe... the 300zx tt is actually a little faster than the 350z when racing in a straight line... I had a Topgear video that compared the old vs new but the link is not working at the moment. But the 350z is a bad ass car and how can I disagree with you about the VQ35? I drive a 03' Max :D Greddy already has a TT kit for the 350z, too bad it cost $8k... :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts