Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
i got my oil changed at the dealer at around 3000 miles. im wondering if i needed to do that, cuz new cars dont need to at 3000? i dont have my owners manual so i cant check.

thanks

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
With today's engines & oils, 3K is getting to be a waste unless you're driving in some extreme conditions (stop & go, high ambient temps, etc.). The manual for our 3's say that for normal driving conditions 7500K mile oil change intervals are suitable. For severe driving conditions (which most fall under), 5000K mile oil change intervals are recommended.

Quick Lube places and stealerships will push 3K/3mo. oil change intervals until they are blue in the face because they are making money off of that schedule. Stick to what Mazda recommends in the manual (5K or 7500K) and you'll be just fine...and save some time & money along the way!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
It is perfectly legitimate to oil change earlier for your first oil change. The reason is because your engine is new and there should be some degree of breaking in (like perhaps extra aluminum in your oil in the beginning).

I just know that I wouldn't do a 7500 mile oil change if I just got my brand new car. :)

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=67147.msg1154103#msg1154103 date=1169051518]
It is perfectly legitimate to oil change earlier for your first oil change. The reason is because your engine is new and there should be some degree of breaking in (like perhaps extra aluminum in your oil in the beginning).

I just know that I wouldn't do a 7500 mile oil change if I just got my brand new car. :)
[/quote]

+1 8)

Darryl

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What exactly is the original posters definition of new? How many miles on the new car? Some people call their cars with 15K on the odo new.

If it was the FIRST oil change, then 3K is just fine.

·
Registered
753 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=67147.msg1154103#msg1154103 date=1169051518]
It is perfectly legitimate to oil change earlier for your first oil change. The reason is because your engine is new and there should be some degree of breaking in (like perhaps extra aluminum in your oil in the beginning).[/quote]

Aluminum? From what? Typically, Iron and Copper are the metals that will have elevated levels in the oil during break-in.

I don't think an early oil change is necessary, but I changed mine at about 1000 miles anyway. I just couldn't resist!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Any car thats 2 years old or less is consider pretty new to me.
Depends on miles and how good the owner kept their car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts