Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I get the wrong speaker adapters? Only 5.5" opening on 6.5" adapters

I got these 6.5" to 6x8 adapters from MJM but they don't fit right. A lot of people seem to say these usually fit without problems, maybe it's just my speakers, but is the hole supposed to be 5.5"? (14mm)

My speakers are the CDT CL-62 component set with the 6.5" midrange speaker.

He said I should trim the material, but it seems like an awfully large amount of material to "trim" to get them to fit.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
31,083 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Did I get the wrong speaker adapters? Only 5.5" opening on 6.5" adapters

[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=139411.msg3005329#msg3005329 date=1237507264]
aren't some 6.5"s actually 6.75" (although they all say 6.5"). Is it more that 1/4" to small? (hard to tell from pics).
http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0201cae_component_speakers_comparison/index.html
[/quote]

I think they might be the larger size. It does seem around .25" too small all around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I spent an hour cutting it with my Olfa cutter.. then I realized.. "hey I have a frickin dremel down in the garage!"

15 minutes later, both are trimmed and fit fine, except the first one looks like ass because i used an cutter :p

·
Registered
261 Posts

CDT runs some euro sizes, not sure on your model tho

·
Registered
31,083 Posts

i love my dremel! my neighbor lost the key to some big lock on his garage.
i took out my dremel and he started laughing.
15 seconds later, he stopped. :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts

I've also got the CDTs. They do require a bit bigger opening. I think the spec sheet that came with them lists a 15cm opening. Looks like yours were 14. I made my own out of MDF, so I didn't have a problem.

Glad to hear you were able to come up with a solution. Doesn't matter too much how it looks, no one will see the hole after the speaker is in.

Did you put any kind of a gasket between the driver and adapter? If not, I'd recommend one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

In hindsight I probably should have just did the MDF and coated it myself, since I have the tools.. somewhere in the garage :)

I didn't really have the proper attachment for it, but I found a small sanding attachment with what looked like 80grit.. made short work of the plastic at 25000 rpm :)

I will need to find something to use between the speaker and adapter probably some foam tape or something.

I did notice that the holes overlap so that probably means I'll need to mount the adapter to the car first, then put the speaker in and mount it after.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Yeah, I had to countersink the screws in my adapter ring so the Peaker would sit flush against the ring. NOt sure if you can or will need to do it with your rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Most adapters like that will not work for most 6.5" speakers. I have a pair of 6x8 to 6.5" adapters and they fit my Diamond Audio M651 5 1/4" speakers perfectly. My 6.5" ID OEMs are not even close to fitting. Your best bet is to make a MDF baffle ring and coat sized to your speaker and then coat it in resin when it comes to doing installs like this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts