Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get the mp3 deck from mazda dealer, but.. wow 550 bucks??? hmm... thats kinda rip off.. So ofcourse i didn't get the mp3 deck cause I wanted to get the aftermarket mp3 deck. Did anyone put in a aftermarket deck in their mz3?? any problems with it??

·
Registered
315 Posts
there have been a couple people that have done this. The biggest problems will be:
1. There are no dash kits for the 3 just yet. You would have to do some type of custom panel so you don't see the innards of the deck. If you just put a single DIN unit in, there will also be a huge amount of custom panel making the head unit look... well, odd to say the least.
2. Unless you do a little custom work, the steering wheel controls won't work.
3. The nice factory display is close to worthless if you put a new head unit in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Bknauss has some good points, it may make your interior look strange. I wouldn't replace the stock deck. I wonder is there a way to ask the dealer that you want the mp3 player in exchange for the 6 disc?

·
Registered
62 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
I wonder is there a way to ask the dealer that you want the mp3 player in exchange for the 6 disc?
My dealer wouldn't exchange it they said they would do the install for me at an additional cost 550 total I think (crap :x ). Best bet is to buy it yourself, best price so far is from here MazdaStuff.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is it possible just to install the the aftermarket in the glovebox? I know I did that with my 66 mustang, since I still have the original radio. You're dash would not look like crap, but you might lose the controls and the displays. Thoughts, anyone already try this?

·
Registered
315 Posts
How would you control the... eh... anything with the unit in the glove compartment. Yea, you put a unit in there, but the user friendliness flies right out of the window.

Now the cool thing to do is keep the "face plate" of the factory unit and rip all the electronics out from behind it.... then put the aftermarket deck behind the "face plate" and line it up so the CD slot feeds perfectly into the new unit. Finally, you would take some ribbon cable and attach the face plate of the new unit somewhere else... probably the ashtray area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts