Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am a graphic designer at a company that is a machine shop/archery release manufacturer/golf putter manufacturer. My father-in-law is the head designer/engineer/machinist.. I have access to all the machines and tumblers, sandblasters, and can get any finish you can think of done. I have looked all over at the different shift knobs available and I am not seeing exactly what I want... well not ones that are under $150 - which is crazy to me! So I though why not design and make my own line... So here is what I need:
- What is the size bore and thread on the 3? I want this to fit like a stocker would.
I will probably try a weighted and a non-weighted ones.
- What do you guys think the best style is, I know what I like but I only have the stock one from a S Sedan.
- I think I want that rubberized finish. Just don't want it to be freezing cold in the winter..
anything else you think of it needs? I will probably laser engrave something on the sides once its powder coated or anodized... and then Mazdaspeed or shift sequence on top.. what do u guys think?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Re: Designing a new machined shift know... input wanted..

I would say leather wrapped with the tip having the shift sequence, but maybe do something creative with it instead of just the 6-point tree.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts

the thread pitch is 10X 1.25, I'm not sure on the depth of the threads, but you can just remove your stocker and measure the shifter itself for that.

In terms of what style to make, I'd say just go with what you like, as everyone's got their own tastes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

thanks locust! yeah after I published that I was worried I would have every imaginable opinion.. I need to do some draw ups here soon..

·
Registered
5,390 Posts

I do like the 8-Ball type shift knob - for automatics (but I do believe the manual's threading and automatic threading are the same). I would imagine people would like to see those being made.

I do like your idea of crafting up some new ones. Do you think you can create an option for those who want the rubberized finish vs those who don't?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah deff. I can get them anodized or PC any color or finish

·
Registered
5,390 Posts

OK, well I'm definitely interested.. mine would be in a gloss black/yamaha black.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts

Please bear in mind that if you're going to be producing a product yourself for sale on the forum you need to obtain at least a bronze sponsor status. Please contact MZ6zoomzoom about sponsorship.

:arrow: http://www.fmvperformance.com/index.php?topic=65372

I'll leave this open so discussion can continue.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks i havent even thought about producing them though it would be nice and if I get a few that people show interest in then I very well may, but I will deff. go through the right channels first I promise!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts

[quote author=beyondink link=topic=134326.msg2889736#msg2889736 date=1232926508]
Thanks i havent even thought about producing them though it would be nice and if I get a few that people show interest in then I very well may, but I will deff. go through the right channels first I promise!
[/quote]

Sorry, I thought when I first read it that you were going to be selling them on the forum. On reread it didn't come out that way. :lol:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

yeah.. but now that you mention it my brain wnt into overdrive.. I got some ideas for adjustable shift knobs, interchangeable weighted knobs.. and some others..as well as radio knobs, dead pedals.... hmm what else:) I need to check at work tomorrow if I can get some machine time and design some stuff and maybe start a little side venture... what all do I need to become a vendor on here? It will be more or less made to order stuff and no store front or anything...thanks

·
Registered
36,001 Posts

Something like This would be nice. They're plates for your floor so that you dont wear a hole in the carpet / floor mat. I cant imagine its very hard to make, and Momo is selling them for $85+ for a set. If you could make that in a gloss black, for under $60 (passenger and driver), I'd buy them. A dead pedal to match would be nice too.. but you have some competition there. Many members buy sok07's deadpedals (hes a bronze sponsor).

No matter what you do, keep us updated. Oh, and you have a typo in your thread title...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks sdemo45 for the heads up on the typo.. me typy no so good.... Those momo plates would be soo easy to design...and machine really.. I could even do some neat designs in the center to match more with the 3's. I will check into all of this and start doing some draw ups and see what machining costs and other stuff will cost.. I know I can get powder coating cheap cheap.. and it will be the good stuff made for stoves, guns, and other high end products.. I thought about the dead pedal and I deff. don't want to step on sok07's business (hes got great stuff - just got a dead pedal made by him used). I will keep you posted.. hopefully I can get some drawings and stuff up for you guys to see... I am going to make some prototypes and stuff first and then gauge if people want them and then I will get hooked up as a sponsor and have at it...

·
Registered
15,654 Posts

[quote author=beyondink link=topic=134326.msg2890419#msg2890419 date=1232948260]what all do I need to become a vendor on here? It will be more or less made to order stuff and no store front or anything...thanks
[/quote]

See the link in my first post above. ;)

For what you're talking about you'd need bronze sponsorship status.... you don't need a store or a business to do this.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Everything sounds good. Oh, you also might want to put your location in your profile. That way we'll all know where you are, and if you need a 3 to test fit stuff, people will know where to find you.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would buy a spherical knob w/ a short cylinder base that is the same diameter as the shifter cup. When I say short cylinder base I mean like 1/4". Leather wrapped or rubberized would be nice since I live in FL and don't want to burn my hand while shifting.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Interested in updates, mainly out of curiousity.

AT thread size is 10x1.5
MT thread size is 10x1.25

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.