Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just a quick question. I've never owned LED gauges before, and I'd love to go with Defi, but theirs are either Blue or 60mm, and I need 52. Does anybody here have some Blue Racer gauges and wouldn't mind checking to see if the LEDs are replaceable?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Id want red if anything... will match interior better (and exterior for us three)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I like the blue because everything else is red...seems to bring out the blue backround on the speedo a little more...just from the 1 picture ive seen. I think someone needs to make a 2 guage pod for our steering column for the 60mm or 52mm guages.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We should start a list and tell them to make red ones. I want this gauge too but its in blue and the pod pillar is 52mm.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
[quote author=Coulda link=topic=68346.msg1180380#msg1180380 date=1170311116]
I like the blue because everything else is red...seems to bring out the blue backround on the speedo a little more...just from the 1 picture ive seen. I think someone needs to make a 2 guage pod for our steering column for the 60mm or 52mm guages.
[/quote]

+1 to that. I can't do a pillar mount with the extra airbags, and until my favorite tech guy comes up with a pop up guage pod similar to what the 7inch LCD in the dash for nav does, i'm wanting them on my steering column.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Even Red does not match all that well.. The stock gauges are dark orange/red. I have clear bulbs painted half red/orange right now. Match is much better than just red. I like the speed hut with black background and red lettering. I dont know if they have any opening or closing ceremony though.

These prosport match pretty well but I am not sure they have the quality that I am looking for. I think there like 50 bucks a peice or so.

I am also looking at possible getting rid of the boost/vacuum+volt combo and going boost/oil temp/pressure/water temp. I ordered this
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/cyb-a023e061n_w.jpg

I was planning on paint matching the outer ring. I can't decide if I am gonna keep what I got and add this insted of volt. I was gonna mount the sensor on the intercooler or somewhere in/on the intake. Only issues I can forsee is running the sensors for oil/water if I decide to change them. Anyone tapped them or have easy sensor mounting solutions for oil water sensors.

These look good and can change 7 colors.

Autometer Nexus

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Those do look good. What is the setup in the pic out of? Doesn't look like my car. Matter of fact, that looks suspiciously like a 2g DSM dash.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pic above is 2g dsm i think. Prosport gauges..

http://www.prosport-gauges.com/index_prosport_gauges_amber_white_52mm.htm

They are just so cheap..which could be good. But usually u get what u pay for. They have a silver bezel and black out just like stock..

Here is what I got.

The inside and the voltmeter is designed diffrently than the others so the light comes through brighter and less consistant. I think autometer gages have the same problems. Not the Nexus though.

Here are some pics of the speedhut gauges.

some others

http://www.omorimeter.com/custom_led_backlit.htm

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hmmm.... interesting choices.... have to look into that some. How difficult were they to wire?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
defi's have boost and vac on the same guage...the vac line stays under the hood instead of routing it into the cabin like on some guages...i am willing to pay the price for the quality they are.

·
Registered
405 Posts
mo[quote author=Coulda link=topic=68346.msg1181089#msg1181089 date=1170357146]
defi's have boost and vac on the same guage...the vac line stays under the hood instead of routing it into the cabin like on some guages...i am willing to pay the price for the quality they are.
[/quote]

I think most people who get a boost gauge get the boost/vacuum combo in one. I just felt like doing something diffrent and had three holes to fill. I am thinking of replacing what I got for 3 new ones. Say boost, oil temp and pressure. Or trade one of the latter for water temp. I really like the nexus but it would be like 1000 bucks for the three gauges and the link. The speedhut looks to match the stock pretty well if you get the black with red lettering and they have adjustable warnings. The blue racer has everything I want but Red. Anbody tackle the oil/water temp sensor location yet? I thinking a adapter would go in a heater hose for the water but what about oil. Oil temp could go in the pan but not pressure. Anyone install 1 yet.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Good call. Easier to crank up the boost if you know what the EGT's are. Anyone tried a knock sensor? (i'm kind of wondering how far i'm going to get before fuel.... and then wondering what the hell to do about that since I have precisely 0 clue as to how to work DISI)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm so glad I started this thread, you guys rock! Thanks for the input. I'm planning on going with Boost, Wideband AFR, and either an Oil Temp or EGT guage. I'm undecided on the 3rd because I've always understood it's a waste to get both a wideband and an EGT gauge, since they are basically telling you the same thing. Cold exhaust is rich, hot exhaust is lean. I'm also avoiding an oil pressure gauge because if the pressure drops off too much, I've already got a light on the dash that would tell me. Anybody know how quickly the dash light responds to a critical drop in oil pressure?

I like how the Prosport gauges have the 270 degree sweep that starts at bdc, similar to ours. And at that price, they are worth a shot. Worst case, I'll upgrade later after Defi brings back the D-Gauge series, hehe.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I'd still go EGT. You could have a sweet a/f ratio, but a hot backside. Oil temp tells you less than EGT's will.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have had EGT on 2 cars "dsms" and they do sort of gauge weather you are lean/hot but most of the hot exhaust temps I would find are from when the ECU senses knock and retards timing blowing hot exhaust out into the exhaust. This could indicate lean, or bad gas, to much boost for the octane ran. Knock can also be cause by being to rich. Which the latter is less likely but I have done it. I noted hot EGT's and richened it up. The problem only was compounded in certain situations. I think AF/r would give a better indication of how the motor is actually running. EGt could be good insurance and likely more usefull then oil/water temp,pressure. An EGT probe to be accurate needs to be in the header and its a PITA to get to in this car. AR would be where it already is. Oxegen sensor. I think Oil temp would be nice to know as I like to take it easy on the car until temps are up to normal. Usually oil takes a bit longer than water to come up to one might think the engine is fully warmed by water temp alone but thats not usually the case. My old SVT focus was this way anyway. Downside of EGT is it will make you very wary of blowing your motor if it gets hot like 1600deg. I bet lots of cars run this hot and are safe but just seeing it on a gauge makes you want to back out on hwy runs even at stock levels. As far as oil goes if the filter or turbo oil line comes off the idiot light will come on fairly quick. I know from blowing the oil filter seal ring out of my 2gtalon twice. Caught fire the 2nd time but blew out. :shock:.. The light came on after about 10 seconds of running without the seal. It was pumping out pretty fast. I guess if had like 50psi now and 75kmiles later you had 35psi oil pressure you would have an indication that something is wearing out..I am thinking oil temp,AF'r with an analog reading, and boost/vacuum. Would be nice for me with a lightly modded car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think you would be amazed at the quality of the ProSports, especially the higher end peak warning line....

They manufacture gauges for most of the companies already mentioned in this thread....

This is a response from basically the same questions posted on i-club...

"Prosport gauges have been in the industry for 30 years, thye have recently partnered up with Imtronics Industries and introduced the smoke series gauges and accessories found on our website www.prosportgauges.com
Imtronics has been making gauge component parts for 33+ years for companies such as VDO, Steward Warner, Autometer, Harley Davidson, just to name a few. So, brand name does NOT equal quality Brand name = Advertising-which just means if anyone spends enough money the name will be recognized. We recently sent our mechnical boost gauge to a company in AZ called IA performance (at their request) to test the accuracy of our gauge against Greddy and Defi. Keep in mind IA performance never heard of us and we did not pay them or ask for the test. Long story short at 27psi Greddy was 2.5 psi off, Defi was 1.5 psi off and we were .5 psi off.
The prices are low because we are the manufacturer & we spend almost nothing on advertising, our success has been through forums like this, going to car shows, and word of mouth. By not spending hundreds of thousands on advertising we pass on the savings to our customers. we don't force you buy a controller & we have the best customer service in the industry. Greddy is not that old of a company...they did not always have brand recognition but by spending millions in advertising they have that recogition now. In the begining I am sure many people thought "who is Greddy" never heard of them so they cannot be good..and look at them now.

Anyway, we are here if you have any questions, suggestions or even problems. have you ever talked to anyone at Defi? Autometer? Greddy? VDO?"

This thread below is obviously completely unbiased....

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=3709e1f7f8a2c7fe3fbbdea84fc6d9f5&t=42285&highlight=ProSport

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Wow, so i'm not even the only former DSM'er here. Sweet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The stock oil pressure warning light switch is set at 7-8 psi. If you are at any kind of revs with boost going and the light comes on it is just telling you your bearings are toast. A pressure gauge is a must have as far as I am concerned. I'm putting in oil and water temp, oil pressure, Vacume/boost and intake air temp (measured after the IC)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts