Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i just noticed to day that recently in highway driving i've gotten myself a deep stone chip on the hood, slight dent, but my biggest worry is that it was deep and bare metal is at showing. What would u guys recommend me doing? and for the future, i wanna get one of those stonechip guards, it's a clear piece of plastic adhesive that goes along the front edge of your hood. I've seen them on Audis and i'm wondering if they make em for our 3s. or if you guys have any solutions to this. thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
QUICKLY go and get clear nail polish. This will stop moisture from hitting bare metal (rust) and getting under the clear coat/paint (blemishes). After that, I'd get a quote from a shop to get the dent fixed then paint matched. After that, go to Trim-Line/3M whatever and get really thick clear vinyl installed. Clear bra essentially.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice thankyou very much, for the tips, really appreciate it. until i get my hands on clear nailpolish, it's gonna be scotch tape hahaha. i think it repels water anyways. BTW some asshole's hit my bumper like twice and it's coming off on both sides now so anyone know a ballpark figure in getting that fixed? I dunno if the detents are broken or just snapped out, cause i can't push it back into place.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If there's a crack or broken part somewhere, some shops would be able to "plastic weld" the bumper to repair it. This would save you the cost of a new rear painted bumper. Plastic welding involves using a heat source to weld plastic rods of the same type of plastic to repair plastics to about 90% of its original strength.

The reason I say this is that a new bumper replacement could easily be $600-800 which includes installation and paint.

As for your paint chip. Unless you got this free from your dealer, It's $4 + Shipping for paint chip repair paint that will be a match of your current paint.

http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2423

The clear nail polish seems like a good idea. Though if I was you I'd put masking tape AROUND the chip so that I only put the nail polish on the INSIDE area of the chip.

·
Registered
135 Posts
BUMP how long does the nail polish stay in the chip? Do I need to reapply it? I gave up on touch up paint its not a show car I just don't want it to rust so I put clear nail polish in the chips.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bump again....if i've had a chip similar to this...got it back about 1 1/2 months ago is it way to late to apply the clear nail polish? :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts