Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dealer put a really big ugly decal for their dealership above the left taillight. its much bigger and uglier than most other dealer's stickers - and the bright white on a cosmic blue car makes it very noticable. i want to get rid of it but don't want to scratch the paint, obviously. any suggestions? it shouldn't be too hard to take off i'm guessing, i'm just worried about damaging the car.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
I get it off with soapy water and my finger. I've taken several vinyl stickers off that way and never scratched the car.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Yeah, you have nothing to worry about unless you have razor sharp fingernails, or you use some sort of sharpened tool to get underneath the vinyl. DON'T do that. Use soapy water like mentioned above, or you can use a hairdryer and apply some heat to them, and after a while they will peel right off. You can actually just start peeling by hand without heat as well. They will come off no problem, and it won't harm the paint at all. Just make sure you wipe it down afterwards, and it doesn't hurt to throw some quick wax on the spot too, to protect it. Hope we've helped :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just took it off now, no problems. i heated it up with a hairdryer and peeled it off with my fingernail. it left a little residue so i used some wd-40 and it came right off. now that stupid advertisement won't piss me off everytime i walk up to my car.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
[quote author=stickyfingers link=topic=65736.msg1126427#msg1126427 date=1167520570]
just took it off now, no problems. i heated it up with a hairdryer and peeled it off with my fingernail. it left a little residue so i used some wd-40 and it came right off. now that stupid advertisement won't piss me off everytime i walk up to my car.
[/quote]

Oooooh dude, wd40 on the paint is not good! Make sure you go right out and wash that puppy down with some soap and water.... at least. Then you should put some wax on it (even if its like Meguiar's Quick wax or something). WD40 is very abrasive to automotive paint.

·
Registered
337 Posts
[quote author=krstofer link=topic=65736.msg1126459#msg1126459 date=1167522386]
Yeah, clean that off, if you ever do something like that again, use a quick detailer to remove residue, not WD.

[/quote]

I thought WD is safe on paint. I use it for bugs and tar, etc...

Never had a problem, and I am very particular...and I used to be an auto painter. :?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've used waxed dental floss to pull the stickers off too.

I've known people to walk away from deals because of the stickers. Just got up and left when they saw the stickers on the back of their brand new car with 7 miles on it :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=Mazda3inDC link=topic=65736.msg1126715#msg1126715 date=1167536934]I've known people to walk away from deals because of the stickers. Just got up and left when they saw the stickers on the back of their brand new car with 7 miles on it :)
[/quote]

I don't know that I'd walk because of stickers, but I'd definitely walk if they decided they were going to drill holes in my front bumper so they could put a dealer plate on there.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
Yeah, I remember whey even used car dealers would drill holes for metal plates.

Waxed dental floss is a real good option, Espesially for taking off moldings. But removing anything on a warm day or with a little heat will usually do the trick with little effort and little residue left behind.

ALso, WD-40 is a penetrant to free up or lube bolts and other moving parts. You shouldn't use something that is meant to penetrate metal or rust on painted surfaces.

·
Registered
395 Posts
[quote author=krstofer link=topic=65736.msg1126958#msg1126958 date=1167574708]
Yeah, I remember whey even used car dealers would drill holes for metal plates.

Waxed dental floss is a real good option, Espesially for taking off moldings. But removing anything on a warm day or with a little heat will usually do the trick with little effort and little residue left behind.

ALso, WD-40 is a penetrant to free up or lube bolts and other moving parts. You shouldn't use something that is meant to penetrate metal or rust on painted surfaces.
[/quote]

Krstofer,

A picture of a woman's clit is not really work friendly to many of us. Would you mind changing your avatar?

·
Registered
260 Posts
[/quote]

Krstofer,

A picture of a woman's clit is not really work friendly to many of us. Would you mind changing your avatar?
[/quote]

Haha muppet!

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
[quote author=krstofer link=topic=65736.msg1127080#msg1127080 date=1167583285]
If you find an avatar not work friendly, please turn off avatars at work.

Besides, it is a woman holding a mouse.

Perv.
[/quote]

It is? Damn, I thought it was some poontang too. Wishful thinking I guess. :wtc:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts