Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off I have 2004, 5 speed 2.3L with a mazdaspeed CAI

I went to the dealer for the following probs. One was my mileage had dropped about 8 mpg and the other was when it seemed to be wet outside my car sometimes hesitated when stepping on the gas until it warmed up. Also every so often it would idle rough.

Well after checking some things out they found low voltage. They replaced the maf and reset the KAM on the PCM.

Now I no longer have the problem with the car hesitating. The mpg I will have to check out cause I just now refilled the tank since having it done.
But.....now when I start off from a light or accelerate onto the freeway my car no longer has any punch whats so ever. Before when I was in first or second gear when the engine hit 3000 rpm the engine would punch in and the car would take off. Now it no longer does. The acceleration is very smooth BUT...also its seems like it no longer accelerates like it does. Seems to accelerate more slowly now. Not sure if its because that punch is no longer there or what but it just doesnt seem to accelerate that much anymore. The rpms still go up but the car just doesnt seem to go.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Dealer replaced MAF now the car seems to lack HP and punch

did they check the maf wires they might be too short

bulletin xxb255rx wire and mass air flow repair bnyp-67-sho

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

just wait a couple of days. your ecu's probably just relearning your driving habits.

do you know if the dealership gave u different part # for the maf?

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

[quote author=thebeansoldier link=topic=69088.msg1213475#msg1213475 date=1171693595]
just wait a couple of days. your ecu's probably just relearning your driving habits.

do you know if the dealership gave u different part # for the maf?
[/quote]

Hmmm not sure. When I get home I will look at the paper work and see.
My gas mileage for this first full tank of gas after getting this done was only 21 mpg but some of that is probably due to letting the car warm up in the morning(not for the cars sake but for mine its been super cold, single digits this past week).

Its that from starting from a dead stop the horsepower is just not there. The car doesnt take off like it used to. Also in second gear there is still not that kick around 2500 at WOT that there used to be.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Okay this is from the paperwork:

road tested and verified the hesitation/rough. EEC tested amd system passed. no codes. checked air cleaner. ok. checked pressure. ok. W/IN specs apprx 55psi. checked for vacuum leaks and found none. road tested and monitored fuel control PIDS. LFT 1 T16.1 AND SFT 1 T5.1. checked maf PIDS and found out of specs on voltage flow. replaced the MAF and reset the KAM on the PCM. Reroad tested and it runs normal. PIDS normal.

Now this was done on Jan 31. I would have thought that the computer would have adjusted by now but it still seems very slugish off the line. I will admit that the roughness at idle that was there sometimes is now gone.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts

that sucks. Have you tried resetting your battery? Your maf reads L321 now right? Your old one might've been the ZL01 since you have a lava orange (relatively old compared to the new ones that are out). You might want to mention to your service manager of your current issue. He might install the old part #, but will also charge another $170 for it. PM me if you need one. If it doesn't work, you can always send it back.

any wire repairs mentioned on the work order?

·
Registered
32 Posts

If the p.c.m. had codes in it for the mass air flow sensor then the ground wire for the m.a.f. sensor is probably broken inside the harness close to the m.a.f.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yeah I am starting to think maybe its the wiring harness. I have an appointment this up coming Tuesday to take it back in. I am going to tell them to inspect the harness.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took it into the dealer yesterday and they updated my cars computer from Windows XP to Windows Vista...lol :lol: ....well not exactly.

I took it in and they went over the car again checking readings and such and also checking the wiring harness all checked out okay. The only thing they said they did was that the mechanic noticed there was a computer software update for that year (thats how he described it anyway) and he downloaded that into the computer. I took it for a drive and it seems I have some more horsepower back. It still doesnt have that punch around 3,000 like it did but I am trying to decide if now the acceleration is more linear as opposed to before. He said he will keep the ticket for the next few days so I can drive it around. The other thing he mentioned was that my injectors are due for cleaning ( my mileage is about 41,000) He said that might help but didnt guarentee it. I am passing on that for the moment.

So I will drive for the next couple of days and go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=69088.msg1254026#msg1254026 date=1173285118]
Don't they just put a bottle of injector cleaner into your fuel tank to do that?
[/quote]

From what they told me they take the injector out and run pure cleaner straight through it which is stronger than the stuff that you put in your tank.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Injectors due for cleaning? Do you get your fuel straight from Mexico? I'm guessing that isn't the issue.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yeah, forget that "dirty injector" line, yours are fine. Put a bottle of injector cleaner in your tank every few thousand miles if you're worried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts