Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing my car, the sales person mentioned I would be receiving a customer satisfaction survey from Mazda that will be asking me to score the salesperson and the dealership on the purchase experience.

The salesperson made a strong point that anything less than a 10 (perfect score) is considered a failure by Mazda and reflects very negatively on the salesperson.

I have seen comments in other forums referencing the survey and using it as a "tool" to get the dealer to do what they promised to do and I can see that sometimes that is the only leverage you have since you already made the purchase, paid the money, and have the car.

I also saw some comments that even though they may "threaten" to give less than a 10 score, they actually would not do that.

I think the 10 should be earned by the dealer and not be given just because the salesperson asked for it.

Although I have not received the survey yet, in my case the salesperson has been extremely helpful and so far has earned a "10".

But if that were not the case, I would not hesitate to score the person lower if I was not fully satisfied with the service or treatment I received. I also hope I would make my judgement based on reasonable standards and expectations.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Yes this subject has/had caused quite a stir on Edmunds. I also believe the salesperson must earn the highest scores ( 10, excellent, completely satisfied etc. ). Pretty much the consensus on Edmunds was that the system of surveys must be changed because getting a 9 instead of a 10 is considered the same as a 1-8. Makes no sense to me, and hope something simple as a survey can be changed to allow owners to make honest evaluations, and allow the salesperson to not wonder if the customer will give anything less than a 10, because a bonus rides on the surveys.

When my mom got her Subaru Outback Sport in September, I filled out the survey for her because I did all the work/negotiation :) , and gave the salesperson/dealer all highest marks except on the delivery where I gave a 4/5 because they didn't say that the car would have 240 miles on it ( it had to be traded for, but they said they couldn't tell us from where :( ). I did explain in writing this point and hope the salesperson who was very friendly, doesn't get penalized for this, but I do want to be honest.

Sorry for the rant, but this subject is something that needs to be changed in the auto selling industry.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yeah I remember that LONg discussion at Edmunds. The system must be changed. We need a "revolucion" amigos. Quick, get Fidel to help us out :)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I was honest on my survey. Don't remember what I gave the dealer but I gave high marks. Everybody who sent in their survey got touch up paint for free. Wondering if the are doing this for the 3?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I gave very generous marks. I think they should get what they deserve to get. My salesguy was also very big on giving them 9's or better. Bullocks I say, if you earn it you get it. I scored them fairly, just mailed mine in tonight after getting it yesterday.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I didnt "buy" my car from the my dealer, but he did setup everything as planned.

I havent seen the survey yet, but I plan to give him honestly what he deserves.

And my sales person deserves A++.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ended up having 3 different salesguys so for me it was hard. While overall my transaction went well and my final salesguy was pretty good overall they did miss the boat on a lot of the QA questions on the survey.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah. The dealer even gives me $40 credit towards the next car service if I complete the survey, return the survey to the dealer and let them handle it. Since I haven't read anything on Edmunds about that survey yet, the survey seems to have very large impact on the dealer......

·
Registered
744 Posts
My sales and finance guys told me that higher marks (10s for them) relays to Mazda that they did a good job so Mazda trusts them with more cars so they give them more cars to sell. This is good for them and the customer because they have more to sell and the customer has more to choose from. My sales guy said that if there is any reason that I do not want to give him a 10, talk to him about it first and see if there is anyway that he can help make it better. The salesman I bought my car from told me that the MP3 player does not replace the 6 Disc CD changer which I am 95% sure that he is wrong. I asked him about it three times and he gave me the same wrong answer rather than looking into it. I am going to use this to my advantage and tell him I don't think he deserves a 10 and I know that after I tell him that, he will bend over backwards to do something to get that 10.

If you aren't happy in any way with your sales person, tell them that you don't think they deserve a 10 instead of putting something else. That way they do something for you that might get you to change your mind... something good.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
mnemonicj said:
If you aren't happy in any way with your sales person, tell them that you don't think they deserve a 10 instead of putting something else. That way they do something for you that might get you to change your mind... something good.
Blackmail! Not sure that method would work for me, in the case the salesman was horrible, free stuff doesn't quite cover up the taste they leave in your mouth after the experience is completely finished. Not quite fair for you if you didn't walk away happy from your purchasing experience; you can always walk, so not always the dealer's fault as well. Putting pressure on the buyer to return "10s" devalues earning the mark in the first place.

Anyways, I usually find that salesmen are good representatives of their dealers overall. Unfortunately, they're the middleman for what could be a greedy/stingy dealer owner. Too bad that Mazda punishes the salesman and not the dealer. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sell Mazdas I and hopefully explain why the salesmen act the way they do. The surveys from Mazda are important for us, and we try to relate that to the buyer in such a way that they will remember what we said when the survey comes in 4-6 weeks later. When I got the survey back from one of the first cars I sold, I was surprised when my manager told me it hurt the dealers cumulative score, even though I got a 90%. The customer had given me all 10 except for one 9, and in the comment box wrote that my manger and I had given him excellent service, an excellent deal, and that he never thought he would be treated this well buy a dealership. When I asked what was wrong, my manager showed me that the customer had marked no on the questions asking if I showed him his manuals, showed him the parts/service department, showed him the basic operations of his car, etc. The thing is, I did show him those things, and even have his signature on a paper saying I did. After that I am sure to repeat how important this survey is to me and to tell me if there is anything else I can do to earn 100%. I write letters shortly after selling a car, congratulating them and reminding them of the survey. I tell them when their plates are in, and remind them or the survey. Ever since then I have never gotten below 99% on any of my surveys. If you have a legitimate complaint/request for your salesman, PLEASE tell him so he can fix it. If he doesn't, then he doesn't deserve 100%, but you shouldn't hold the surveys over their head and use it to blackmail them. Sorry for the long post, I just thought you all should know

·
Registered
882 Posts
Definitely good insight N8Dogg, my second salesguy did explain it quite well however I did score mine fairly. Unfortunately for the dealership I had a "temp help" salesguy help me the first night I was in, only to be surprised two days later when I found out that salesguy (whom I had a good raport) didn't work there full time and only came in to help during promos and what not. So in comes second salesguy, the smarmy typical salesguy. Nice guy but he feels like a salesguy. He's more there to close the deal and isn't all that interested in what I had done before nor was he that worried about meeting the original financial arrangement I had worked out with the first guy and the manager of the dealership (marked that accordingly). So deal gets done the second salesguy is and has been very helpful, probably one of the better salesguys I've dealt with in a decade. I arrange a time to come in and pick it up, well lo and behold the second salesguy isn't there, in comes rookie third salesguy to do my car pickup. I get a very brief gloss over of everything and I'm sent on my way. Oddly enough I was nearly sent off the lot without my license plate on. :eek: Thankfully both him and I realized just as I was about to leave the lot that I didn't have it on so I stopped and backed up just as he was walking up to the car.

At anyrate those things were marked fairly. I knew overall it would ding them here and there but I did score them 10's in a lot of categories where they shone. I also scored the dealership well on being improved since my last dealing with them (they were) and if anything I know it may bring the dealership average down a bit but perhaps it will help them improve, as it apparently did you.

I certainly wouldn't use it for blackmail though I didn't really have any reason to anyways. Perhaps if I was having an issue with this or that I could consider it but I generally don't try to pull that stuff very often unless I'm getting royally screwed over.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I haven't bought the car yet, but my salesperson stinks already. I'm trying to find another person to take care of me. Let me list the problems I had (from him and the dealership) during the 30 min test drive and small talk we had.
1. Sat outside looking at all of the 3s they had. Sat a little more in 20 degree temperature waiting for someone to approach me. Finally went inside and one guy ignored me and another guy finally greeted me. Every other dealership I've ever been to, someone has been polite and greeted me.

2. The man who finally talked to me was very... eh... nonprofessional looking to say the least.

3. I was with my gf. He got my name, but never acknowledged her.

4. On the test drive, he was asking a lot of questions I had to think about. This is not good for a person who is dealing with traffic and usually has a one track mind.

5. When back at the dealership, the guy had a hard time understanding basic questions and was answering them in the wrong way. I was explaining I needed to wait a couple days before doing anything because I needed to change my residency to get the nice 3% sales tax in VA. He kept saying something about the dealership could do anything the DMV could do. I had to ask him 2-3 times if they could give me a new license (knowing they couldn't) before he got the idea I needed a new license and he couldn't do that.

6. Lots of uncomfortable silences.

We'll get into the money thing next week. I would have left the dealership and never come back already if I had another dealership within an hour, had more than 2 dealerships within 2 hours, and realized I'm buying the car and not the dealer. Hopefully I can get connected to the web sales person and deal with them.

·
Registered
882 Posts
1. Sat outside looking at all of the 3s they had. Sat a little more in 20 degree temperature waiting for someone to approach me. Finally went inside and one guy ignored me and another guy finally greeted me. Every other dealership I've ever been to, someone has been polite and greeted me.
If I want action I walk right in like I own the place.

2. The man who finally talked to me was very... eh... nonprofessional looking to say the least.
Yeah that always sucks you know your in for a ride there...

3. I was with my gf. He got my name, but never acknowledged her.
Either this guy is a rookie or he doesn't like selling cars. What if that was your fiance or wife? I know if a salesguy dissed my wife like that I would have a very hard time convincing her that we should buy from that dealership.

4. On the test drive, he was asking a lot of questions I had to think about. This is not good for a person who is dealing with traffic and usually has a one track mind.
Always a tough one, if you are the kind that doesn't like to be interupted, just tell him, I'm not sure, let me think about it and keep driving. If he persists tell him that your trying to concentrate on the vehicle and say nothing more.

5. When back at the dealership, the guy had a hard time understanding basic questions and was answering them in the wrong way. I was explaining I needed to wait a couple days before doing anything because I needed to change my residency to get the nice 3% sales tax in VA. He kept saying something about the dealership could do anything the DMV could do. I had to ask him 2-3 times if they could give me a new license (knowing they couldn't) before he got the idea I needed a new license and he couldn't do that.
Yeah I'd try to get a new salesguy. If you want to buy there it may be worthwhile calling the owner/manager and telling him that you want to buy a car but you are totally unsatisfied with your salesman to this point and you were wondering if there was someone else you could deal with. You may even get them if they are interested in selling more cars for the dealership.

·
Registered
315 Posts
In response to the response of #1:
I like to have someone come to me, but when I did walk into the dealership like I owned it, I received the response as described. If I were a dealer, I would be able to smell blood and get out there right away to greet the customer. I would simply say I'm available if they have questions or need anything. This is the service I've been given at every other dealership...

Oh well, I feel like I'm kicking a dead horse at this point.

Thanks for the advice on wanting a new person to deal with.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sounds like you just got VERY unlucky. ;) Good luck with your re-attempt, let us know what happens!

·
Registered
66 Posts
FYI:

I was offered a full tank of gas for my "perfect" survey. I have not recieved it yet, but, considering that I only had my car for 5 days before it went back into the shop, (been there 5 days now.... see other thread).

I REALLY doubt I give them a perfect score, as a matter of fact, I may ask them to give me some cash towards my first payment, as they pretty much sold me a busted ride.... come on, 200 mi and an airbag light that take 5+ (and counting) to fix?

flame on...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I wouldn't consider a full tank of gas as an "extra" that would persuade me to give perfect ratings. Most companies mandate that their dealers give customers a full tank of gas when they deliver the car to the customer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah really, that's pretty dumb. My first survey if I turned it in to the dealership directly I got a free oil change coupon, and I actually got it. Even that's not all that hot of an offer but it's better than a tank of gas.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the same airbag problem. My dealer was bending over backwards to keep me informed. Sure the repair took a while, and I was pretty ticked at the time, but overall I'm not that concerned about it. I was happy that they at least kept me up to speed on exactly what they were doing. I got my survey while the car was in the shop. All the questions about the dealer were answered honestly. They got full marks, as I had no reason to not give it to them. The questions about my impression of the car so far were also answered honestly. Not full marks, as I was surprised to be having problems so early. I also attached a letter explaining everything to the front of the survey. I haven't heard anything from Mazda, so maybe they don't care. The dealer has contacted me a few times (for non-service related reasons) just to make sure I'm enjoying the car, and don't have any questions/problems. Maybe Mazda should take a hint from their dealers and actually contact people when they take the time to write out a complaint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts