Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,
I need advice real fast. The dealer was test driving my car at 20-25mph when he hit a concrete block that fell from a truck. The tire and rim are bent. They will change this. They checked everything in the car with full detail, no other problems they state. Does anyone have experience in this? What damage do you think could come of this if any? and will I have future problems? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Well, accidents happen. Doesn't sound like it was really "crashed" though.

If they replace the wheel and tire, do an alignment and clean it up, it passes your inspection I'd be fine with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=138679.msg2988446#msg2988446 date=1236808351]
Well, accidents happen. Doesn't sound like it was really "crashed" though.

If they replace the wheel and tire, do an alignment and clean it up, it passes your inspection I'd be fine with it.
[/quote]

Thanks. This sounds good. You dont think that the rack and pinion was effected? or Transmission? I am worried about the future. The dealer says that everything looks great.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
My main concern beyond the wheel/tire when hitting a piece of concrete would be the alignment.

I would ask that they perform one and provide you with the handout showing your specs.

If it were me, I would want the car on a rack and the opportunity to look under it. Just to make sure CV joint boots and so on are intact and there is no visible damage.

Outside of that, everything should be okay and I don't see what could crop up down stream.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Have them put it on the service rack and inspect everything underneath possible, especially with a flashlight. Good luck, hopefully there will be nothing that will result in future problems. Did the dealer driver get the truck info? Didn't sound like it from your original post.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Get something in writing stating what happened in the accident, and that any future damages discovered will be repaired at their cost.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Take it for a second opinion. Maybe a body shop?

X2 on getting something in writing about the damage.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
[quote author=71spitfire link=topic=138679.msg2988727#msg2988727 date=1236815765]
Take it for a second opinion. Maybe a body shop?

X2 on getting something in writing about the damage.
[/quote]

+1. I'd take the car to another Mazda dealer to have it inspected. Even if your dealer isn't willing to pay for the inspection, it may be worth the $100 or so of shop time for you to pay another dealer to check your car out...especially if you have any suspicion that your dealer may be trying to hide the full extent of the damage from you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
[quote author=HitIt link=topic=138679.msg2988700#msg2988700 date=1236815464]
Get something in writing stating what happened in the accident, and that any future damages discovered will be repaired at their cost.
[/quote]

+1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All these are very great ideas. I appreciate all your help. This totally sucks, when I only have 2,850 miles on the car. I will get something in writting and the spec sheet of the alignment, just in case something comes up in the future.
The concrete truck drove away, they probably didnt know that their crap was falling out of there truck. If something should arise, it would be fast, dont you think?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
If something were to happen it more than likely would have happened already. I can't imagine what would crop up down the road due to this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A sharp impact like that could also damage the wheel bearing/hub assembly. If the bearing was damaged it will self destruct quite quickly as you drive it .No more than a couple hundred miles and you will start to feel and hear it. Note: if the drivers side bearing is going it will start making noise when taking left hand turns and vice versa for the passenger side bearing, this is due to the fact that as you take weight off a failing bearing it makes more noise/vibration. If you're still under warrenty at the time it should be covered, outside of warrenty it's about $400 to get fixed. Experiance talking...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=ControlFreak link=topic=138679.msg2989725#msg2989725 date=1236861967]
A sharp impact like that could also damage the wheel bearing/hub assembly. If the bearing was damaged it will self destruct quite quickly as you drive it .No more than a couple hundred miles and you will start to feel and hear it. Note: if the drivers side bearing is going it will start making noise when taking left hand turns and vice versa for the passenger side bearing, this is due to the fact that as you take weight off a failing bearing it makes more noise/vibration. If you're still under warrenty at the time it should be covered, outside of warrenty it's about $400 to get fixed. Experiance talking...
[/quote]
Awesome advice. I called the Service advisor and Manager this morning at 5a.m and left two messages with them, stating that I am worried and want a print out of the alignment and specs. I also want a write up of what happened and what they did to fix this. I agree with all of you that if problems arise, it will be within 200 miles or so. I plan to drive this car more to see if damage occurs. I think that I am over paranoid. I just dont trust dealers. At least they told me. Hell, she said that we were not going to call you. I called them first. This world does suck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=138679.msg2989455#msg2989455 date=1236834320]
If something were to happen it more than likely would have happened already. I can't imagine what would crop up down the road due to this.
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice. I will drive 200 miles up a mountian to see if any issues come up. If so, then I know from this. If not, then I am good. I love my ZOOM-ZOOM.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Along with the alignment, wheel, tire and bearing issues I'd also be on the lookout for the possibility of a blown seal in one or both suspension dampeners (ie McPhearson strut cartridges) on the side of the car where the block was run over. A severe impact like running over a concrete block could potentially bend something in the suspension and/or damage the shock absorbers.

Look carefully for signs of oil leaks around the strut cartridges for a while. I also agree with those who suggested you have the dealer place the car on a lift for your inspection. Also, since they could (and probably would) clean up any signs of oil leaks while working on your car, it would be a good idea to have the car put up on a lift again after you've driven it several hundred to a thousand or so miles after the dealer's repair just to see if any fluid leaks may show themselves later.

Good luck w/it...what happened to your new car really sucks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. Very good advice, I didnt think about the struts. Man, this is crazy. I will totally give them hell if other damage has occurred. I dont take crap from anyone, especially with my car. Its like a bad dream. I called the dealer this morning twice and no calls back. Now what I am to think?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
[quote author=cjre1 link=topic=138679.msg2988437#msg2988437 date=1236808138]
Everyone,
I need advice real fast. The dealer was test driving my car at 20-25mph when he hit a concrete block that fell from a truck. The tire and rim are bent. They will change this. They checked everything in the car with full detail, no other problems they state. Does anyone have experience in this? What damage do you think could come of this if any? and will I have future problems? Thanks.
[/quote]

that sounds like the biggest load of bullshit! he probably curbed it pretty bad.

dealers really do suck....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote author=945LSTANG link=topic=138679.msg2990272#msg2990272 date=1236878392]
[quote author=cjre1 link=topic=138679.msg2988437#msg2988437 date=1236808138]
Everyone,
[/quote]

that sounds like the biggest load of bullshit! he probably curbed it pretty bad.

dealers really do suck....
[/quote]

They are saying that an entire piece of rubber was taking out of the tire and the rims was all torn up. This worries me about the rest of the car. I hate dealers too.
Guess what, for the orginal item that I brought it in for, they can't find anything wrong. Warranty work sucks, they simply wont do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:) Update, I got my ar back yesterday, I did everything you guys stated. I see no other damage at all. They took pictures of the tire and rim. I also saw the picture of the concrete block and metal rebar. WOW, is all I can say. I got a new rim, tire and TPS sensor. The car is running very nice. I even got the alignment print out and did a full under body inspection. All pass my test. Thanks for all your advice. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts