Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is looking to buy the GS in Calgary. We went to the dealer this week and briefly looked the car over. The sales guy started playing the "game"...this car is so well priced we cannot reduce anymore.

Did anyone pay less than full? If so how much?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have quotes from three different sources (2 dealers and cars4.ca) all of which are offering me $1000 off a loaded Sport Gt. Dealers tell you they can't budge on the price, but once they here you can get a better price elsewhere they will change their story pretty quickly.

Go to www.cars4u.ca and get a quote. The service is really good, and it will save you a lot of time and money.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I got around $900 off of MSRP when I got mine...but that's because I know the sales manager and I was prepared to pay MSRP (which means any discount I get off of MSRP, I'd be happy with).

·
Registered
163 Posts
The key to buying a new car is knowledge. Ive worked at a car dealership on and off for the past 5 years now. Any half decent salesman will know a sucker when they walk into the building. Know the price of the car, and know how much you're willing to spend on it is the bare minimum requirement before walking into a dealership.

One time, while waiting for a salesperson, I nearly talked another customer into buying a Mazda3. The sales manager almost offered me a job on the spot!

Realistically speaking, with your average car the mark-up is somewhere in the $1000 to $1500 range. Most dealers simply cannot move more than $500 on a car because they do need to make some sort of profit. Normally, you can also get the dealer to throw in some accessories, but remember that this will mean he is going to have to balance it out somewhere else. Dont let them talk you into some of the crap they tell you is "necessary". Know what you want in advance, and try to bargain with that.

Oh, and if you want the best deal on a car, dont expect to walk in and have it happen in a day. If you make the salesman invest time in you, they will be more willing in the end to cut you a deal. The salesman should know your name on sight, where you work, your hobbies, your kids names, etc etc. Bottom line, get to know who you are dealing with.

Hope that helps a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts