Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't find something with the search, so I'll ask..

Just got my HIDs realigned with the engine off, took no more than 10 minutes. When I started the car, the battery was DRAINED! Like, to a point that the starter was ticking, not turning the engine.

I was lucky and had enough power on the second try.

Just wondering if it's normal; I know they take a lot of juice.

Thx!

·
Registered
976 Posts
didn't happen to mine while I did my aiming but I do start it for a minute or two every say 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was adjusting my windshield wiper nozzles last week for about an hour, every few minutes i would get in the car to turn the wipers on and spray some water. completely drained the battery. lights flicker, ticking noise, would not start at all. had to jump car. then checked the battery and the water level was really low, had some distilled water and a battery re charger, took about 5 hours to fully charge the battery afterwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hmmmm.... I normally don't reply to posts like this for some reason, but I truly feel that some light should be shed on this overlooked subject.

Your batteries are all bad.

done.

There is absolutely NO reason at all why a modern day battery (stock, or not) should fail to keep it's charge under a small load while not being recharged. All of your problems indicate a faulty battery. (Even you, Mr. Low-Water).

There is no reason why there should be a low-sulphuric acid level unless the battery is like 3-4 years old. Batteries are nearly 100% maintenance free. I recommend going to your nearest dealership (or if you prefer shitty work and careless dimwits, Sears will do) and have your batteries tested and replaces. You'd be surprised how quickly batteries can go bad. It all depends on climate and weather conditions, load levels, charge consistencies, and demand.

When I was an electrical Technician for Ford Motor Company, we'd get 4 month old cars in for bad batteries. I've determined that the lead plates in the battery may not always be coated sufficiently and evenly, this creating a "no hold" condition in the battery. Perhaps your battery is cracked and leaking, thus hindering it's ability to perform the necessary chemical reactions to create proper voltage differentials.

Whatever the case, your batteries are all bad. When you get them tested, there is a chance that they'll read "GOOD". I say, replace them anyway. Sometimes batteries can have an elusive ghost issue (probably caused by shifting conducive materials within the acidic solution).

OK. Hope this helped. And good luck with those beastly batteries!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other than that situation, the battery is great, I just went into a winter with no problem. Don't forget that HIDs takes around 10 seconds to obtain its full power, imagine how much power it takes just to hold it there.

Another reason why I know the battery's good? It takes a minute to recharge.

Another one? I can go to a drive-in for 3 hours, and still have a fully-charged battery.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
But HIDs (well most of the aftermarket ones anyway) only use 35w while the stock halogen bulbs use 55w, right?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
[quote author=ZKrazy link=topic=71320.msg1316277#msg1316277 date=1175873521]
yup. HIDs are supposed to use LESS power.
[/quote]

FTW!

Sounds like there's another issue going on here....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts