Mazda3 Forums banner

DDM reliability?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  vtohthree 
#1 ·
I am about to buy an hid kid for my ms3. I was wondering if the ddm kits are reliable or should I spend a little more money and get the volt kit. I would appreciate anyones feedback who has either kit. Also I want to make sure they won't melt the stock wires. Thanks

#4 ·
Lets not have another HID retailer argument.

DDM is fine. I have had them on my car for about a year now without a problem. As far as the glare thing and HIDplanet, that may be true of reflector housings, but we have projects just like cars that come stock with HIDs. Theres a distinct cutoff and hardly any glare, but thanks for playing.

I have 35w, no melted wiring... and its plenty enough light.

#6 ·
[quote author=M3-GT link=topic=139303.msg3010994#msg3010994 date=1237788408]
We sell both so I think we are well placed to comment ;)

DDM have a higher failure rate. It's not bad but not as good as Volt. If you can get the volt.

Oliver
[/quote]

hey oliver been trying to get a hold of you man.

wats goin on with that kit its been more than two weeks and i havent heard from you???

#7 ·
[quote author=kenghk link=topic=139303.msg3013071#msg3013071 date=1237861783]
Just to clarify, I'm not a retailer and cars that come with HID from the factory have different projectors than cars that don't.
[/quote]

I'm perfectly aware of that. Non-HID projectors still have a cutoff and will not blind oncoming drivers. Problems arise when people use HIDs in reflector housings as low beams or even fogs.

#9 ·
I well aware of those globes, but there is obviously a distinct cutoff. I've installed kits in my car, as well as my GFs, and when we drive at night (shes in her car, I'm in mine), neither of us has had a problem with glare or having trouble seeing. Going over a bump where the cutoff jumps above eye-level of oncoming drivers is more of a problem than any glare is.

Either way, I'm not going to argue with you, as thats not the point here. DDM is a good brand, and is what I've used and recommended to others. No problems.

#11 ·
[quote author=tekkno1gy link=topic=139303.msg3026461#msg3026461 date=1238424957]
Hey Oliver,

I sent you an email last week but you have not yet responded. One of the inverters for my angel eyes have gone bad. Can you send me a replacement? Let me know what I need to do on my end.

Thanks.
[/quote]

PM replied :)

Oliver

#12 ·
One of my DDM ballasts got ripped out of my car when I ran over a piece of debris on the highway, it tumbled down the road at 70mph, got ran over by several cars, and guess what, despite getting some massive road rash on it, the damn thing still works without a problem.

That was about a year ago now.

#14 ·
I have an Apexcone HID kit. In my opinion they were probably the more better built Chinese kits out there, pretty decent for the price.

But honestly, for what you can get now for just a little more, I'd say go for the Volt! Hands down, I bet the circuits are better and more accurate in there, by all means though, the DDM is probably decent enough, but I'd bet more on the overall quality of the Volt kit.

#15 ·
[quote author=vtohthree link=topic=139303.msg3031162#msg3031162 date=1238567748]
I have an Apexcone HID kit. In my opinion they were probably the more better built Chinese kits out there, pretty decent for the price.

But honestly, for what you can get now for just a little more, I'd say go for the Volt! Hands down, I bet the circuits are better and more accurate in there, by all means though, the DDM is probably decent enough, but I'd bet more on the overall quality of the Volt kit.
[/quote]

Are you sure about that? Have you seen the inside of a DDM ballast??

#17 ·
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=139303.msg3031253#msg3031253 date=1238586316]
[quote author=vtohthree link=topic=139303.msg3031162#msg3031162 date=1238567748]

[/quote]

Are you sure about that? Have you seen the inside of a DDM ballast??
[/quote]

I will say, I do not have the current DDM digital slim kits. So no I haven't seen the insides, although I have the "big" ballast apexcone kit, and those are "decent", and I'd definitely say they are the better of the chinese kits out there. I've tried 2 other ones so that's what I base it on, from my experience with the brand, though I can't say much for their digital slim kits.

Again, I have the "big" ballast apexcone, and from first hand experience, I'll say that it fires up both bulbs 100% of the time(thus far), I haven't had misfires yet. However, when the weather is cold, I notice my electrical system will trip when I flip on my turn signals with my headlights on, so that worries me a little.

And like I said, for my 2cents, I'd pick the Volt kit for just a little more price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.