Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to purchase an HID 6500K kit for my 06 M3 GT, I do live in Canada so I do have day time running lights. What are the problems that exist when swapping out the halogens that produce the running lights at a lower output with the HIDs? I don't really care if the HIDs are on all the time, but is it more difficult to install, or exactly the same, also, I hear of this flickering problem that exists. This is the only reason as to why I have not yet already purchased the kit, because i don't want any problems with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, is CQ light.ca a reputable website, i am looking to purchase
http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.php?cPath=32_46&products_id=119&osCsid=65abeadf6a8fda24c735564fa36aae22

·
Registered
781 Posts
The problem that WILL occur is that you WILL burn out your HID bulbs very quickly. An average HID bulb has a lifespan of about 3000-4000 hours. That's really short compared to the 50,000+ hours a typical halogen bulb has. If you think about it, at 60 mph you can get at most 3000-4000 miles out of the HID bulbs. And you won't average 60 mph if you do any city driving at all. The biggest downside to this is the high cost of HID bulbs versus halogen. You'll be spending a lot more for bulbs for a lot less time. So unless you have a very deep pocketbook you shouldn't go HID for daytime running lights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do i have any other options, other than if I spend more money and get a set with a life time warranty?

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=65918.msg1129645#msg1129645 date=1167772611]
An average HID bulb has a lifespan of about 3000-4000 hours. That's really short compared to the 50,000+ hours a typical halogen bulb has.[/quote]

that sounds backwards to me...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all i know is that my silverstars wont be lasting me much longer due to them being on all the time (daytime and regular use) so I am looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=devin98 link=topic=44859.msg987005#msg987005 date=1159804248]
If you headlights are on all the time they will burn out faster a HID bulb is only rated at 3000 hours or 4 years at 2 hours per day. So you might want to disable your DRL's.

Hope this helps!
-Devin
[/quote]
I'm just going off of what Devin said. He's the owner of www.thexenonstore.com so I'm sure he knows everything about the product he's selling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iam not questioning, i just thought it was general knowledge that HID lights last longer than halogen, i guess i was wrong.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yea thats def backwards. HID use about 35 watts compared to halogens that can use 65/85 watts of power. HIDs will outlast any hologen bulb.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if that is the case is it worth it to go with HID, even though they will be on all the time, or can i just de-activate the DRL's?

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=M3i-NTS link=topic=65918.msg1129745#msg1129745 date=1167776235]
Yea thats def backwards. HID use about 35 watts compared to halogens that can use 65/85 watts of power. HIDs will outlast any hologen bulb.
[/quote]
Just because they use less power doesn't mean they will last longer. The way the bulb works is totally different from a halogen bulb. HID bulbs will not last as long. Simple fact.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I believe that a lot of it is misleading advertising. Not false, just misleading. They may say High Intensity Headlights which to the untrained person may lead them to believe HID when in actuality it's just a higher output halogen bulb which in fact will likely outlast the car. It just goes to show that the mind will believe what it wants to believe.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Umm, I'm pretty sure you got that wrong. Real HIDs have a longer lifespan than halogens. It's the "high intensity" halogens that are brighter than normal halogens but not as bright as real HIDs that have shorter lifespans. Google is your friend...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
HID bulbs have a much much longer lifetime then standard halogens, the main reason is they do not use a filament to produce light, that is the part that burns out on a standard bulb. HID's uses an arc of electricity to produce the light.

HID’s also do not normally just die, they will slowly start to lose intensity and an HID bulb is considered dead when it reaches 70% light output, however still produces light for a long time after.

For your main question, DRL’s are a problem for HID kits that is why we provide a CDN install kit which provides a relay harness that allows for easy install two ways.

1) disable your DRL’s lights turn on with your autolight
2) keep your HIDS on whenever the car is on.

Hope this helps
-Devin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts