Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/540105/2

I spent from 9am to 6pm this Saturday to clean and polish two cars. I took a break between 3pm and 4pm to shower and let the polish haze. Sorry, no pics from the shower. :twisted:

1.5 hours of that were spent on cleaning the wheel covers (Saturn) and rims (Mazda) alone. I am so sore that it hurts to type.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only one coat of Z-2 over the Z-1. I think it took a long time because:
-I was doing two whole cars
-they hadn't been waxed in a long time (Saturn) or ever (Mazda)
-I was being very anal about getting every surface perfectly clean
-the @#$*%@$ rims on the Mazda were covered in brake dust
-I'm slow, and I haven't done this often at all
-It was really humid (fog in the morning even) and at the low end of the recommended temperature for the Zaino
-I got worn out by the end of the day, and was even slower the next day

I might build up coats of Z-2 over time if the weather is nice on a given weekend. Maybe after a few coats I'll get quicker at it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No offense, but I don't see any difference. I have a feeling the pictures don't do any justice. How's about some full body shots next time :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, to see the most difference I should probably create some very closely cropped pictures of the surfaces. The camera I took the pictures with is much higher resolution than CarDomain displays.

I honestly don't see much difference between the washed cars and the waxed cars either. Both cars have metallic glittery paint jobs under glossy clearcoat which tend to have lots of shimmer but not much "depth" which is what the Zaino is supposed to really bring out. Soon I'll do my husband's black Grand Am, and if that doesn't show a huge difference I'll be very dissapointed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dunno, maybe it's partly placebo effect, but I definitely think my red mz3 is glossier with zaino applied in comparison with just being clean. For me the main difference is that I've already developed some slight swirl marks (primarily from being a dumbass and using a coin operated wash when I first got my car), and a couple coats of Z5 make them pretty much completely disappear, and the couple of deeper scratches I have in the paint fade to the point of being unnoticeable from a normal distance. The results you get may depend greatly upon the color of your car, however. A deep, rich color like Red, Blue, or Black will probably benefit greatly from a wax job, whereas silver, white, and tit gray won't as much.

Personally, the main reason to wax my car, however, is to preserve the quality of the paint job. Oxidation did a nasty number to my prior car's paint job, so I want to keep this one clean and well protected.

If I want to do a full job, my procedure is:

1. Wash with dawn
2. Claybar
3. Wash again
4. Dry
5. Z-6
6. Z-5 (with Z-FX)
7. Buff off
8. Repeat steps 5 -7 as necessary
9. Z-6
10. Z-2 (with Z-FX)
11. Buff off
12. Repeat steps 9 -11 as necessary
13. One final coat of Z-6

I'll do that whole process once every few months. In between those times I'll just wash with Z-7 and do a quick detail with a coat of Z-6.

·
Registered
62 Posts
alright! good job on taking the time to maintain the cleanliness on your car. Unfortunately, the pictures don't do it justice, and neither does the colour of your car.

If/when you get the time and money, you should invest in a clay bar, and a buffer (if you really wanna get hardcore with the polishing/waxing). But definately look into getting a clay bar (medium grit should be ok, or a fine grit).

The clay bar is used to gently "scrub off" things like tree sap, dead bugs, tar (depending on the grit), and overspray (depending on the grit). The clay bar should be used with soapy water as lubricant.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually already bought a clay bar. I chickened out on using it that weekend because I could already tell it was going to take a LONG time to finish at the pace I was going.

The first thing I will clay is my windsheild because there is some wax or residue on it that isn't coming off with the glass cleaner but I can see when the sunlight hits or if it is wet outside. Dead bug season hits soon, so I'm sure I'll be using the clay a lot then...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.