Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that's where we are. she turns 16 in july. 'a' student, great girl.

my limt is 12k and i'm poking around on the internet and found you guys.

gimme the scoop. what do i need to look out for while i poke around on here.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
really depends on what features you're looking for. Also, the forums are a bit quiet on weekends... you'll get more responses during the week.

If you're looking for something basic, the i model sedan is great. 2.0L is great on gas, and can be had fairly new for 12k. Just let us know what you're looking for, and we can probably help. Also, check the for sale threads, there could be one like you're looking for there.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Mz3 did not fare well in crash test w/out side airbags...make sure the one you buy has them

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
+1 to your location so we can try and help you out a bit. Depending on what year you look at you can easily get a used 3 for 12k (or less). As ito and Fem said the 2.0L is great bang for your buck and will get much better mileage than the 2.3L. The downside to that is if you're specifically looking for a 5-door, in which case (assuming you're in the US) you're stuck with the 2.3L. Performance wise the 2.0 doesn't give too much up, but honestly for a 16 year old's first car that shouldn't really be an issue.

I would recommend only getting one with side airbags as without them the 3 has poor side impact crash tests. By year there aren't really many differences beyond different standard features per trim level. I think in '06 ABS/side airbags became standard on more (not all) models, and in '07 TCS became available (can't remember which models). If you're looking at an ATX then I believe in '06 they tuned up the VVT on the 2.0 to make it a bit peppier.

Are you looking for any particular options/features? MTX, ATX?

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I would stick with the safety options on her car, but no need to get all the bells and whistles. Great route with the used car. The car should be safe and protect her, but I see no reason to get too many options.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=FemGearHead link=topic=135569.msg2918926#msg2918926 date=1233981392]
I would stick with the safety options on her car, but no need to get all the bells and whistles. Great route with the used car. The car should be safe and protect her, but I see no reason to get too many options.
[/quote]

+1

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
[quote author=p1frank link=topic=135569.msg2918789#msg2918789 date=1233975231]
that's where we are. she turns 16 in july. 'a' student, great girl.

my limt is 12k and i'm poking around on the internet and found you guys.

gimme the scoop. what do i need to look out for while i poke around on here.

[/quote]

used impreza 2.5i. awd and top crash ratings all around.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
[quote author=bani link=topic=135569.msg2919338#msg2919338 date=1234005711]
whats your #1 priority? driver/passenger safety? cheapness? sportiness?
[/quote]

being a dad..i would assume safety, reliability

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I would get an i model with the side airbags. Would be the cheapest on the insurance :wink: . Also great on gas as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
309 Posts
[quote author=p1frank link=topic=135569.msg2919132#msg2919132 date=1233990352]
i'm thinking something along the lines of an 06 sedan at this point.
[/quote]

An '06 3i sedan would be a good car for her. Like others have said, look for one with side airbags. Also consider a 5-speed manual...I think driving a manual is a skill everyone needs to learn.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=.JJ. link=topic=135569.msg2921177#msg2921177 date=1234082354]
[quote author=p1frank link=topic=135569.msg2919132#msg2919132 date=1233990352]
i'm thinking something along the lines of an 06 sedan at this point.
[/quote]

An '06 3i sedan would be a good car for her. Like others have said, look for one with side airbags. Also consider a 5-speed manual...I think driving a manual is a skill everyone needs to learn.
[/quote]

agreed with the last statement.. in my opinion, driving a standard helps awareness. automatics have a higher risk of being distracted while driving.

although that part can swing both ways so its better left up to your discretion.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
+1 it also keeps the more intuative of the road... because AT allows the to talk on the phone and do other things that are end up being a pain in a manual! lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually just purchased a use 07 sedan with 43k miles, its an i model. I shopped around and did some talking with the salesman drove away for 9k even. I have a 45 mile commute each way to work and back, the car gets better gas mileage, is much more fun to drive, and actually cheaper on my insurance than the 2004 nissan sentra i had before.

So my bottom line is, this would be a great first car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.